michalt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi All,

I have a first PS3 Slim (2004A) and it has been working ok since 2010. It's not used much, and I have not noticed any unusual loud fan nor heat.
However, I keep it stock, so I cannot read the actual temperature/fan speed.

What is the current view on the forum regarding changing the thermal paste: it works so leave it or high time to change at least the top paste layer?

Thanks a lot, m.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's definitely time to change the thermal paste.

Depending on the quality of thermal paste that was put on in the factory, it could last 10+ years (rare.) Others.... not so much. Better safe than sorry.

In my opinion, thermal paste should be replaced every 5 to 10 years; max. Every year or two is best practice, however.

tl;dr Yes. Change the thermal paste. It's incredibly old and probably degraded by now.

Reactions: michalt

michalt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thank you for your answers. I have just checked and maintenance with paste replacement costs almost the same as 2nd hand ps3 with controllers ;-) maybe instead of new paste (for now) I will buy a newer Slim (I have the 1st version), and will have a backup ;-)

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your answers. I have just checked and maintenance with paste replacement costs almost the same as 2nd hand ps3 with controllers ;-) maybe instead of new paste (for now) I will buy a newer Slim (I have the 1st version), and will have a backup ;-)
Thermal paste only costs around 15 USD though...? Over here you can't even buy a broken PS3 at that price point.

And good quality thermal paste can last for years even after opening and using. Warning: Thermal paste that gives an oily substance (that does not look like thermal paste) means it has gone bad (grease has separated from the thermal compounds) and should be replaced immediately.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

michalt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thermal paste only costs around 15 USD though...? Over here you can't even buy a broken PS3 at that price point.

And good quality thermal paste can last for years even after opening and using. Warning: Thermal paste that gives an oily substance (that does not look like thermal paste) means it has gone bad (grease has separated from the thermal compounds) and should be replaced immediately.
I was looking for a service, which is between 25-40 euros, which is a price of 2nd hand Slim more or less.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Buying a slightly newer PS3 or other Slim won't help.
Thermal paste is gonna dry out at one point and if you want to keep the machine, you're gonna have to replace it which is gonna end up in more costs then just changing out the current one :')

michalt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have never done it, but I understand your point. There is always a first time for everything ;-)

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never done it, but I understand your point. There is always a first time for everything ;-)
It's not an early model (A/B/E) and it's not a slim, so it should be pretty easy to replace the thermal paste.

Just remember to run it hot before opening so it's easier to take the thermal paste off and you won't need to pry the CPU and GPU off the heatsinks.

nubie

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
You can use mx4 or grizzly kryonaut for thermal paste

Use maxtor mt 02 before in my ps3 slim , temperature is not much drop than before , repaste it again with thermal grizzly , great result

I can get below 60°C temperature sometimes with some of my rpg games

Last edited by nubie,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Unfortunately, by the time you think you might have to deal with changing the thermal paste, you might want to consider a delid.

Reactions: nubie

Micolash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I remember when I changed the thermal paste on my PS3 after 10 years. The stock paste was so dry it vaporized with rubbing alcohol lol. Def a must if you want to keep your PS3 running for years to come.

qzack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing and reading this thread, I have not done this yet. I own a "Original 40GB Fat PS3" the one with all the memory card readers. I've never replaced the paste but reading these comments is changing my mind. I did swap out the power supply for a more "energy efficient" model. The one with the plastic backing as apposed to all metal.

One question, these comments on reddit and other forums where I've read that something went horribly wrong when changing out the paste or the PS3 won't even stay on now because I changed out the paste? Are these just comments from people who don't know what they are doing or to put it another way, is there a way to serious screw up the PS3 just changing the paste?

I've built computers (work in iT) changed the paste on my OG Xbox and some other consoles and I've personally never had a bad experience. My PS3 is original (launch model) and anything I can do to help it last longer is good. It's never RROD'd on me and has always worked. I also keep it boxed up until I want to play it. There are still some exclusives that I enjoy and have never been ported to other platforms.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
RROD is a 360 problem, PS3 has YLOD.

If you've worked with consoles before and cramped computers, swapping paste should be a walk in the park.
Alternatively, spend a little money and go to a mod/repair shop and pay a professional to delid the PS3 and have the paste replaced all around.

qzack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RROD is a 360 problem, PS3 has YLOD.
You knew what I meant to say but we must keep the "terms" correct for copyright purposes. :)
I personally don't mind doing the job myself rather than "pay" someone to do it for me.
I will research this a tad more before I dive in.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you're going to delid the thing yourself, I urge you to work slowly and cautiously.
One little slip and you can sever a trace on the package.

Changing out the thermal paste between the heatspreader and heatsink is piss easy.
Pretty certain you could do it blind folded if you wanted to haha.

eggcorp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the consequences for neglecting this? I have a few PS3s that probably all need it by now, but it's still very scary. Still, first time for everything, eh?

qzack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did this to mine as a weekend project. I still need to replace the Pram Battery as now every time I turn on the PS3 my clock is not set.

So a little history, My PS3 is a "Launch" unit, has the four USB ports and card readers. I've never touched the paste until
this past weekend. When I disassembled the console the paste was dried and cracked, I should've took pics but it cleaned up easily. I can only hope that I've extended the life and longevity of my console seeing as it's a YLOD problem child. After I got done I played "Haze" & continuing my playthrough of MSG4 since I've never beaten the game. I played both games for several hours and had no issues.

The console runs the same.
No excessive fan noise.
I have not monitored temp differences.
I always play it in an open area so it can breath.
I always cover it when I'm done to keep it free of dust.
It's in a non-smoking/pet free home and I live alone.
What are the consequences for neglecting this?
Probably like everything else. I like to think if it isn't broke don't fix it but like I said in my reply above I can only hope that I did some good by replacing it. It is a job and if you have the same model as myself you pretty much have to take the whole console apart to get it done. It took me a couple of hours to do. I-fix-it has a tutorial to follow for disassembly.

There are some other upgrades you can do to extend life. So I've read.
You can get the 19-blade fan and replace the original PSU with a more energy effective model.
I did replace my PSU but the fan is the original.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up