Cuphead is getting an animated show on Netflix

dmSIDfM.png

When it comes to Cuphead, one of its most-acclaimed features was its animation, which had painstaking levels of effort put in to perfectly mimic the style of retro cartoons. That's why it might be fitting to learn that Netflix has will be making an animated series based on the franchise. Titled "The Cuphead Show", the cartoon is currently in production at Netflix, with King Features Syndicate in charge of the animation. Netflix says the animated series will, "expand the world and characters of Cuphead, with an animation style inspired by the classic Fleischer cartoons from the 1930s". Dave Wasson (previous works include modern Mickey Mouse Shorts) and Cosmo Segurson, (recently worked on Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling) will be co-executive producers on the show.

:arrow: Source

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how they're making it sound like a super original idea. A lot of animation and art is done this way. It's a lot cheaper and more efficient to draw your storyboard out, do key frames, then the rest. A lot of cartoons do this. Puppet/cutout/skeletal animation are a completely different beast.
I think they're trying to emphasize that it won't be Flash-animated schlock. Plenty of cartoons do frame by frame animation, usually storyboarded and animated digitally frame by frame by South Korea, but a lot of people (devout weebaoos) have the impression Western animation is only Flash-animated schlock these days.

Reactions: RedBlueGreen

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think it's modern animation techniques that made Dragonball look bad. I think it's the really dated art style that doesn't look good in HD, especially compared to lots of modern anime.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I like how they're making it sound like a super original idea. A lot of animation and art is done this way. It's a lot cheaper and more efficient to draw your storyboard out, do key frames, then the rest. A lot of cartoons do this. Puppet/cutout/skeletal animation are a completely different beast.
Look up the most recent Dragon Quest art by Akira Toriyama. It's not his art style at all, it's the fact that they were lazy when animating Super

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think they're trying to emphasize that it won't be Flash-animated schlock. Plenty of cartoons do frame by frame animation, usually storyboarded and animated digitally frame by frame by South Korea, but a lot of people (devout weebaoos) have the impression Western animation is only Flash-animated schlock these days.
That's because the bad animated stuff tends to reach people. A lot of modern animation is pretty decent, so I'm not too worried about them getting the style right.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: hi