Crytek UK developing Homefront 2 (2014 release projected)

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The next Homefront game will be made by Nottingham-based developer Crytek UK and will "benefit from the latest CryEngine technology", Crytek has told Eurogamer.

Crytek UK, formerly known as Free Radical Design, created the multiplayer portion of Crysis 2. FRD was the developer of the TimeSplitters series, Second Sight, and Haze.

"We see Homefront as a really strong universe that has a lot of potential and that has been expertly created and marketed by THQ," said Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli. "We believe that bringing our level of quality, creativity and production values to the next Homefront title, creates an opportunity for both THQ and Crytek to deliver a truly blockbuster game.
[/p]

Source

You know what Crytek, FUCK YOU. Instead of making a sequel to one of the greatest FPS's ever, which still clearly has a fanbase, you've decided to go ahead and make the next batch of generic war shooters. Well fucking done.

What I imagine Crytek is trying to get out of all of this:
Hf4an.png

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Homefront was terrible. I played 2 minutes of the demo on OnLive, and holy shit was it awful. I also saw my brother play it on his 360, and it was just full of problems (Matchmaking, gameplay, etc.)...WHY on Earth would another studio make a sequel to it?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That picture couldn't be closer to the truth, Bob.

Seriously, while I'm glad that Free Radical (Crytek UK now, but whatever) will at least be employed, I would much rather it be on the sequel people have actually been asking for.

BobTheJoeBob

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gahars said:

Seriously, while I'm glad that Free Radical (Crytek UK now, but whatever) will at least be employed, I would much rather it be on the sequel people have actually been asking for.
I haven't seen anyone actually supporting a homefront sequel. On the other hand I've seen a bunch of people complaining that they're making this instead of a TimeSplitters sequel. At the very least they could make some sort of HD collection for PSN or X-Box live.

Also, this:
QUOTE('Crytek')the uk audience will be very pleased with [our next project]
I can't imagine anyone from any country being particularly happy about this.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
You know what Crytek, FUCK YOU. Instead of making a sequel to one of the greatest FPS's ever, which still clearly has a fanbase, you've decided to go ahead and make the next batch of generic war shooters. Well fucking done.

Uh, dude? You may not have noticed, but the economy SUCKS. Devs have to take CONTRACT WORK (that is what this is) so they can keep the lights on. This isn't a matter of them not wanting to do another Timesplitters--this is an issue of making some money so they can PAY the people they have on staff. (And Homefront, good or bad, made a ton of money the first time around and TS has been out of circulation for so long now that it's a risky investment by anyone. Once again the raging core gamers think they're representative of the general gaming populace, insofar that they think they are sufficient to make another TS profitable for the *publisher* that would fund it. This isn't going to be the case w/o a wide array of variables lining up just so and they sure as hell are going to be circumspect about it in this economic climate.)

Lube_Skyballer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
From a gamer's viewpoint the game was just crap. But when you look at it from a financial point of view, it was a giant hit. The game sold around 2 mln units o_0
Reason enough for CryTek to develop a sequel as they will make profit. And you know, they don't make games just for your pleasure. They need to earn money, don't they?

BobTheJoeBob

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ergo said:
BobTheJoeBob said:

Uh, dude? You may not have noticed, but the economy SUCKS. Devs have to take CONTRACT WORK (that is what this is) so they can keep the lights on. This isn't a matter of them not wanting to do another Timesplitters--this is an issue of making some money so they can PAY the people they have on staff. (And Homefront, good or bad, made a ton of money the first time around and TS has been out of circulation for so long now that it's a risky investment by anyone. Once again the raging core gamers think they're representative of the general gaming populace, insofar that they think they are sufficient to make another TS profitable for the *publisher* that would fund it. This isn't going to be the case w/o a wide array of variables lining up just so and they sure as hell are going to be circumspect about it in this economic climate.)
Homefront, from what I know, only sold well the first few weeks, but after, just died down. And the reviews gave it a mediocre score at best. Also, if they're still not sure of the demand for a TimeSplitters sequel, they can always release a HD collection to test the demand. This isn't just about them not releasing a TimeSplitters, they've been leading us on the past few months, hinting at some sort of TimeSplitters sequel, my quote from the post few posts above is an example. I doubt anyone thought of Homefront when they said that.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
Gahars said:

I haven't seen anyone actually supporting a homefront sequel. On the other hand I've seen a bunch of people complaining that they're making this instead of a TimeSplitters sequel. At the very least they could make some sort of HD collection for PSN or X-Box live.

Um, that's what I was saying... unless you're just agreeing.

BobTheJoeBob

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gahars said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
Gahars said:

Um, that's what I was saying... unless you're just agreeing.
Yeah, I was agreeing. Should of made that more clear.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad they've got some work, Homefront isn't really in their style when you think of what they did when the members were in Rare and when they did TimeSplitters/Second Sight but if they can pull this off and make the game do well then a possible new TimeSplitters or at least something that is in their style can be made.

You've really need to consider that a talented studio needs more than talent. It recent needs a hit that has sold fairly well. Lots of companies have to live on having to do stuff they normally wouldn't to fund their studios, looks at WayForward and n-Space. They have to do the licensed games to fund their own projects, without them they'll be dead.

Their last title they released was Haze back in 2008, it didn't do very well so they could never really get a 4th TimeSplitters game greenlit. Then along comes Crytek...they invest 50 MILLION POUNDS into them so when Crytek gets given a title that did sell well they give it to one of their talented teams to prove themselves that they can still knock out a hit.

So anyone saying a "fuck you" to Crytek just remember they've put a lot of cash into this studio, without that cash they may have died and you'd never have a chance of TS4.

BobTheJoeBob

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
I'm glad they've got some work, Homefront isn't really in their style when you think of what they did when the members were in Rare and when they did TimeSplitters/Second Sight but if they can pull this off and make the game do well then a possible new TimeSplitters or at least something that is in their style can be made.
I can see that happening, but I can also see Crytek just ignoring it, which is definitely something I don't want. Also, Crytek UK are behind the Crysis 1 port to consoles.

QUOTE said:
Their last title they released was Haze back in 2008, it didn't do very well so they could never really get a 4th TimeSplitters game greenlit. Then along comes Crytek...they invest 50 MILLION POUNDS into them so when Crytek gets given a title that did sell well they give it to one of their talented teams to prove themselves that they can still knock out a hit.
'it didn't do very well' is an understatement. Haze is a big part as to why FRD ended up bankrupt. And TimeSplitters 4 was already being developed before FRD went bankrupt, but they couldn't finish it.

So anyone saying a "fuck you" to Crytek just remember they've put a lot of cash into this studio, without that cash they may have died and you'd never have a chance of TS4.
I understand that, but WHY Homefront, the game got average reviews and I really can't see it doing well, especially in 2014 where I imagine the Wii U would have taken off and Microsoft and Sony announced their new consoles. By the way, when I said 'FUCK YOU' to Crytek. I was talking specifically to Crytek, NOT Crytek UK.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I never cared for timesplitters although looking back I am not sure how much of that was me not caring for PS2 era shooting games and how much is my present case of sequel apathy.

I did like Second Sight and Homefront I have but it tends to sit there waiting for some time to put into it but watching others play it I can see it being one of my top games should it be done well and the story just causes an amused smile for me (too fantastical and even if I get past that nothing special/ignoring economic things an invaded US would just see me lose a holiday destination).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm half way at my savings for a new move