Crytek facing serious trouble, Homefront director resigns

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

You might remember Crytek for their various games and franchises, like the original Far Cry and Crysis. You might know them better for their engines and beautiful visuals. What you might not know, however, is that it seems the company is basically on the verge of falling apart.

That's right: We've got a Crysis Alert.

:arrow:Kotaku

As it turns out, the North Koreans are capable of destroying the West after all. I mean, it's only a Western developer, and it's really more self-inflicted, but at least it's something.

But yeah. There have been continuing reports of trouble with the studio, from missed paychecks to delays to resigning staff members. A sequel to Ryse was even reportedly dropped. As it turns out, pouring money into the crowded marketplace of F2P shooters and MOBAs was not a very smart idea. Whoda thunk?

So, Homefront helped kill THQ and looks like it might finish Crytek. I'd call that a double kill.

2. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Oh well. They Lion Head'd Crysis and that was their only notable games besides the horrible F2P FPS they released recently.

Sucks for the people working there, but as a whole it's not a big loss to the gaming world.

3. MegaAce™

MegaAce™ Steal back your future.

Nov 28, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Is Crytek as a whole facing trouble, or only the UK branch? Because I only read UK. How's the German branch doing?

4. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    The UK studio seems to be getting the worst of it, but the company as a whole is struggling.

MegaAce™ likes this.
  5. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    They'd rather have their games with high graphics over paying their employees.

I've never been interested in any of their games because it's always graphics > gameplay.

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Sounds about right. Been hearing about all the various issues Crytek has been having, and to be perfectly honest I'm pretty glad. Their F2P game Warface is fucking terrible, and I'm sure their MOBA will be too.

7. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    Good graphics != good games

Watch dogs will attest to that and yet will not learn (hope i'm wrong in this)

Crysis was not only graphically awesome but much better in terms of gameplay. One of the few FPS games i have actually finished (inc. Metro Last Light that is also a graphical marvel)

That being said, lets hope they can change their focus and get back on their feet

8. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Yeah I already heard about them having financial troubles.
    I wish they had made more than FPS games and a bad Action Game so that I can care about this company.

9. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
  10. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    so the Crytek Owners/Shareholders are not FAR from CRYing...

posting in a Gahars thread.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  11. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    No upper management? Does that mean homefront is now an indie title? :P

Kind of sucks to be them. From what I've heard, ryse was just a mediocre game wrapped in awesome visuals, so I guess that project cost them more than they got out of it. :unsure:

12. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    That's actually kinda sad, since I kinda like the Crysis games and the Cryengine can pump out some awesome visuals.

13. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Luckily the only franchise of theirs I care about is no longer in their hands (Far Cry).

14. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States

I didn't even know this game existed..I looked up the GT review and saw that all weapons you buy with in-game currency are RENTED all I could think of was...good fucking riddance.

uh oh a couple of almost cancelled games that should have stayed dead I can think of are, Duke Nukem Forever (the original Win 98, Xbox 1), Too Human (PSX release date anyone!?), Ride To (mother fucking video game) Hell, and...Sonic 06 were rumored to be cancelled too...

I think all should have stayed cancelled...but DNF the original edition. At least should have been finished with the Quake Engine..at least it would have been a positive note in gaming history with the Xbox 1 and Windows 98. It might not have sold that great due to the unreal engine being more superior when the game would have been released..but consumers would have understood as the game development started before the unreal engine was born. If the gameplay would have been good and reminded us of classic Duke we would have loved lt :( hell the original trailer showed more depth and classic duke that we knew and love before that next gen crap.

15. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Welcome to every single F2P FPS on the planet.
    The only real difference is this one looks pretty, plays like shit, and $$$ guns are way better. (well okay every F2P FPS is pay2win, except a couple)

16. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    good 1 less generic run and gun shooter to content with

17. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    Well I hope they release Homefront Revolution if they do shutdown. Give us a big bang like Soul Murder Suspect.

18. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    that...that was sarcasm right? Soul Suspect bombed in the market...causing the company to immediately close its doors.

19. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    Wasn't Crytek initially made in part from old Rare employes? ..don't remember for sure..

well, hope they find a way to be less generic on their approaches, maybe that would help them to gain more market share (well, maybe now it's too late...)

20. ieatpixels

ieatpixels GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2008
    I hated Homefront, it was full of cliches and bad pacing.

I'm glad there's a sink or swim agender in the gaming industry where developers of poor games are forced to rebranch and make better games.