Homebrew Crypto Miner for the Wii?

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cpu and gpu in the wii is so weak that you would have the wii on for about a month before you made 75 cents USD.

By the time the cpu craps out from being on at 100% load 24/7 you would have made... oh........ 25 bucks.... if that.... by using about $30 in power... So your net loss would be -$5 per wii.

Short answer. No. Its literally pointless.

Last edited by viper3344,

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question, is it possible to mine crypto on the Wii (if there is an app to do so), and if there isn't an app to do so, could someone make one?
It would probably be possible but the main question would be why? The hardware on the Wii would be extremely slow for bitcoin mining. However, it likely could be done in a similar way to stacksmashing's Gameboy bitcoin miner.

Reactions: banjo2

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you financially okay, bud? I'm positive there's many, many better ways to make a bit of cash than trying to mine crypto on an underpowered, fifteen year old game console.

Reactions: banjo2

Techflash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I'm aware of the fact that the Wii is super underpowered for crypto mining, but my question was simply if it was possible, not if it was practical.
Edit: nvm no one copied my post, it was a comment.

Attachments

• upload_2021-6-14_22-57-2.png
    upload_2021-6-14_22-57-2.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 151

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Since it is even possible to mine on a gameboy (see stacksmashing's youtube video), a mining client is theoretically possible.
but as on the gameboy it's not sensible, since mining farms probably always win with calculating the hashes

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Techflash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now you see why I was looking for it? (also because I do mining on my also underpowered PC and want to add a boost to my mining power without using my ancient Windows 7 PC from like 2004 [ofc it came with XP when it was released but still])

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it probably depends on the crypto, as some crypto is vram intensive, else along with the crypto, you'd have to program a page file to use storage as ram.

Techflash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also if possible (which I'm assuming it 100% is not) I would prefer if the specific one to be made could be a port of Kryptex (I think it's 100% not possible because Kryptex is a RAM hog, AND for GPU mining requires a GPU from at least 2011, and iirc is only for x64 (even if it was for x86 it probably wouldn't make a difference because the Wii uses PPC). I only want that because then if I log in with my account I can have the earnings be going into the same pool that I'm earing on my PC.

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now you see why I was looking for it? (also because I do mining on my also underpowered PC and want to add a boost to my mining power without using my ancient Windows 7 PC from like 2004 [ofc it came with XP when it was released but still])
But why mine if you cant make any money? Whats the point? Just mine for the fun of it to lose money? I dont get it.

Techflash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But why mine if you cant make any money? Whats the point? Just mine for the fun of it to lose money? I dont get it.
Basically just to se if it's possible, and you would be earning some money, just not enough to be considered practical, I mean it's not like the Wii would use as much energy as an old, refurbished PC under full load for a few hours.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some things are silly and evil, like candy cigarettes.

you would be earning some money
In the same way a person exchanging a $20 bill for a $5 bill is "earning $5." So, not at all.

The electrical use might be lower than a PC but that doesn't mean the Wii (or any particular PC for that matter) is calculation-efficient enough to justify mining on it.

lineagerq

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for post!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not long ago, I began to get involved in cryptocurrency trading, but as you may know, I lacked sufficient experience in this field. As a result, I began to rely on , congrats to which I am now able to identify the best times to sell or buy my cryptocurrency, and I am now much more confident in my ability to feel myself in this matter.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best part of the preceding advertising bot's post is "my ability to feel myself"

Good job gbatemp filters, or alternatively, bad job spam bot.

Reactions: mightymuffy

Techflash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some things are silly and evil, like candy cigarettes.

In the same way a person exchanging a $20 bill for a $5 bill is "earning $5." So, not at all.

The electrical use might be lower than a PC but that doesn't mean the Wii (or any particular PC for that matter) is calculation-efficient enough to justify mining on it.
Like I said, I was just asking to see if it was possible, not to actually use it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT