Status
Not open for further replies.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I hope is the crown3ds price is cheap like R4.
Oh, you should know, R4DS wasn't always about $6.
When they came around in 2007, I paid $65 for an R4DS and a 1gb microSD card. They were both pretty new technologies at the time so they weren't cheap.

I can imagine Crown3DS as a premiere 3DS flashcart solution would not be cheap (or whatever comes out first), and they'd have to work on SDXC support as SDHC memory is bound to 32gb, some 3DS games are already 4gb, and often sit around 512mb to 1gb easily.

Doesn't matter. If the Crown3DS is what it claims it'll only hold 1 game at a time. SDHC is more than enough for that. Still, it wouldn't be cheap. I could see upwards of $100 but possibly as much as $200.
I remember when the original R4DS could be found on eBay xD Some sold for $80+.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
All I hope is the crown3ds price is cheap like R4.
Oh, you should know, R4DS wasn't always about $6.
When they came around in 2007, I paid $65 for an R4DS and a 1gb microSD card. They were both pretty new technologies at the time so they weren't cheap.

I can imagine Crown3DS as a premiere 3DS flashcart solution would not be cheap (or whatever comes out first), and they'd have to work on SDXC support as SDHC memory is bound to 32gb, some 3DS games are already 4gb, and often sit around 512mb to 1gb easily.
Most PSP games are 1,5 gigs more or less and yet it doesn't seem to be an issue for anyone.

Moreover, as it was said earlier, a Crown-like build would only be capable of holding 1 game as rather then launching it via a launcher, you flash it onto a memory chip - no cards involved.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems somewhat moot to talk about a vaporware product from an unknown team with a virtual countdown that does nothing.

Also given Nintendo's fairly aggressive update cycles for the 3DS it would also mean any exploit would have a vanishingly small window of usability

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It's still 72% for me, even after refreshing the site.

@[member='doyama']: 1. what do you mean by virtual countdown? 2. From what I understand, Crown3DS uses no exploit, it merely replicates a card 1 to 1. As long as the 3DS can't try issuing a write command on the card (which would require a hardware update) there's no way to tell the two apart. It's not like DVDs for the Wii, where burning VS factory pressing has its' telltale signs that were documented for a long time.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's still 72% for me, even after refreshing the site.

@[member='doyama']: 1. what do you mean by virtual countdown? 2. From what I understand, Crown3DS uses no exploit, it merely replicates a card 1 to 1. As long as the 3DS can't try issuing a write command on the card (which would require a hardware update) there's no way to tell the two apart. It's not like DVDs for the Wii, where burning VS factory pressing has its' telltale signs that were documented for a long time.

They have had that 70% up since forever, thus the countdown is in effect entirely meaningless. That's why I called it a 'virtual' countdown. They're not actually counting down to anything real as far as I can tell, and have no ciriteria by which the countdown is actuall updated. At the current 'rate' this supposed countdown is ticking down at, we'll be playing Pokemon Rainbow Brony edition on the Nintnedo/Xbox crossover handheld console in 2030 (2% every 6 months for 30% == 15 years)

The main problem with making a copy is that a lot of stuff is in things that are totally invisible to the outside. Lots of things are encoded in the hardware directly making extracting this information problematic. Note that people are already doing this by looking at ROM modules with ELECTRON MICROSCOPES to pull out data for very old arcade games and such. The problem with even something as 'simple' as a 3DS cart is the amount of information is literally exponentially greater.

Basically until they actually publish the exploit (most likely scenario) or hwo they managed to extract the data (unlikely given copyright issues etc etc) then the product is pure vapor ware.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically until they actually publish the exploit (most likely scenario) or hwo they managed to extract the data (unlikely given copyright issues etc etc) then the product is pure vapor ware.

There's no exploit if it does what it claims. An exploit is actually the very least likely scenario, given what the Crown3DS guys said.

What they did (or rather, what they are CLAIMING) is that they made a 1:1 cartridge. If this were true no exploit would be needed. The 3DS would recognize it as a game cart just like your commercial 3DS games. The problem is it couldn't do homebrew, because there would be no exploit you'd only be able to run signed code, and last I checked Nintendo keeps a very, very tight grip on the signing keys. (AES keys; different from common/private keys)

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1:1 is the way to go anyway no worries for it to be blocked , just have it have a flash ram and a sd card and have it be able to boot to ds mode and have it so we can flash roms to the internal flash ram from the sd card in ds mode to change games/rom then reboot it back into 3ds mode

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It would be difficult and cost prohibitive (a manual switch is fussy, and an automatic switch can possibly be detected by increased 'answer time' which Nintendo would be able to detect and block). For the first step, flashing from a PC would be perfectly enough.

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
to end the fuzz and close the topic
http://www.whois.net/whois/crown3ds.com
last update 16 september 2011
the 2% is a script maybe
so close the topic and stop daydreaming
from my point of view they never existed

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
http://www.whois.net...is/crown3ds.com
the 2% is a script maybe
so close the topic and stop daydreaming
from my point of view they never existed

It's definitely wrong, they updated in Dec. 2011 to warn us about crown3dscard.net. So that "update" is off somewhere. We'll see if they extend domain ownership at the 26th of july or not. I'm not saying if it's real or fake, but that we'll have to wait and see and that it's definitely possible.

BloodShed

Gamer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.whois.net...is/crown3ds.com
the 2% is a script maybe

You're linking to a whois. It's displaying the domain name system information. September 16, 2011 was the last time the DNS records were updated. For example, the authoritative name server changed, a sub domain or mail exchanger record was modified, or the domain admin contact information could have simply been updated with the registrar.

It has nothing to do with content of a web site (nor does it matter if a web site even exists for the domain).

Honestly, it doesn't matter if the page was updated automatically or by someone manually spending seconds of their time replacing a 0 with a 2. It offers no evidence for the legitimacy of the product either way.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The main problem with making a copy is that a lot of stuff is in things that are totally invisible to the outside. Lots of things are encoded in the hardware directly making extracting this information problematic. Note that people are already doing this by looking at ROM modules with ELECTRON MICROSCOPES to pull out data for very old arcade games and such. The problem with even something as 'simple' as a 3DS cart is the amount of information is literally exponentially greater.
They're only staring at the chips with microscopes to determine what could possibly be compatible with them if they are unmarked.

It's an old, tried and true method of the olden days - putting a custom, caseless chip on the PCB and pouring solidifying solution over it for protection. Barely anyone does this anymore - the chips are marked and compatible chips are easy to obtain as the specs sheets are available to the public. The process of dumping has been greatly simplified aswell as FLASH memory became standardised.

aOhTW.jpg
Moreover, those cartridges often included additional hardware to boost the efficiency of the system - custom CPU's, primitive GPU's or SPU's, memory units or mappers were common practice, but this practice is no longer used unless you could additional hardware like IR modules (Pokemon Black and White for the DS).

The methods you are discribing are no longer valid - nowadays it's only done to determine what are the guts of really obsolete hardware or what's the structure of unmarked, custom CPU/GPU's.

Look at it:

gallery_284630_130_13984.jpg

gallery_284630_130_1660172.jpg
EVERYTHING is neatly marked - you even know the make of the chips and the threads are exposed. Perhaps one could open up that "custom" Sandisk chip to see what's cooking but I'm willing to bet it's nothing more than a standard chip. There really isn't much there to "copy" compared to an Arcade cart:

fkmlU.jpg
See the difference?

3DS cartridge photos courtesy of:
@[member='Critica1']

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Honestly, it doesn't matter if the page was updated automatically or by someone manually spending seconds of their time replacing a 0 with a 2. It offers no evidence for the legitimacy of the product either way.
While manual editing would say nothing at all, a script would be a strong indicator for a fake imho.

BloodShed

Gamer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See the difference?
It's not really a valid comparison to show hardware for a modern game cartridge and compare it to hardware for an entire system that was designed in the late 1980's.

On the CPS arcade board from your picture, the game itself is contained within the chips on the middle board. The reason they are so large and there are so many of them is simply due to the hardware limitations of the time.

While manual editing would say nothing at all, a script would be a strong indicator for a fake imho.
True enough. Unfortunately, there's no way to prove it. The only valid record of when the files were physically updated would come from private information from the hosting provider. If the content is stored in a database, there'd need to be an audit of when that specific content was updated and those records may not even exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)