Not open for further replies.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I admit that I'm a hoarder class. I have most DS games made before May, 2011. Of those games I've turned on 12, played for more than a hour on six of them, played more than three hours on four of them, beat one of them. The one I beat I bought when it first came out. ChronoTrigger. That's out of 2576 DS games. It's just nice knowing that when the system finally takes the long road like the GBA and GBC I'll have all the games. I play my GBA games on my PSP, some what ironic really.

I strive to complete each collection so that in decades to come I'll still have the classics. The best part is that I've cashed in on my system building with a few local businesses that needed large data storage solutions. My collection hobbie taught me how to properly implement Raid 10, and Raid 5/6 on Windows and Linux system.

That aside, I hope this is real. I think the reason it's not working for all games is because of the cart size. When the SNES carts first came out, creative game makers took advantage of the fact that the carts all had save game capabilites. The game would attempt to write to the save game section and if it could and the game didn't have that on it's native cart, it would flash the message that piracy won't be tolerated. In this case the different size of the cart and save game area may be what stops games from properly running. It might also be looking for something that isn't present in the fake card like a certain serial number on a component that may be rare for other carts or simply dismissed to save money on other carts.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
synce said:
Why go to the trouble of banning people? Hardly anyone plays Nintendo games online

BTW I wouldn't worry about Crown3DS not bypassing the region lock. The fact that they're able to do what they're doing right now means the console should be busted wide open within a year

At current, Nintendo's online infrastructure lacks the "capacity" to ban anyone, and I honestly believe it'll be years before they change anything in that department.

nano351

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
reaper527 said:
nano351 said:
reaper527 said:
due to the fact that there are direct ways to combat game piracy, it will NEVER be as wide spread as music piracy. average joe can run a bit torrent client on some shitty public tracker or use whatever the traditional kazaa-esque flavor of the week is and grab their low quality mis-tagged music and everything just works.

with games, you have to actually invest time to keep up with the latest tricks for getting around each and every security update. you have to know what you are doing so you don't get your console banned (not an issue with nintendo consoles, but you said game piracy so i'm going to address game piracy in general). the ability to directly fightback through updates (which new games will require) means that game piracy will never be at the same level as music or movie piracy.
Your argument only really holds true for console games and games that people want to play online. Piracy of offline PC games is comparable to piracy of music in easiness. DRM ends up hurting the people that purchase the games legitimately much more than it hurts the people that pirate it (in which case the cracker has removed all the DRM) leading to the legitimate owner dealing with the headaches of disabling/removing all software the DRM code doesn't like. Hell, even with the wii, nintendo put all wii owners at risk of a bricked system by updating boot2 in an unsafe manner whereas all the hackers/pirates could use homebrew software to manually update boot2 themselves and avoid risk of the brick.

let me know when mp3's have always on, always requiring a net connection drm like assassins creed 2 and starcraft. let me know when you have to apply a crack to each album you download. let me know when you could potentially be waiting months for a crack on an album that may or may not work properly up until completion.

saying offline pc game piracy is akin to music and movie piracy is a ridiculous claim. i restate what i said. game piracy will NEVER be as easy as music or movie piracy, and this will keep the average non-tech savvy person out.
Proper releases make it beyond easy for someone to use it. Just extract and run an exe and you're good to go. (or install first). The only way it could be any easier than it is already is if a torrent client had an autolaunch feature that the releaser could specify which file(s) should be opened after the torrent is completed. As I said before DRM is useless, it causes problems for legitimate users (can't play without internet connection) whereas a cracker/team removes the DRM so users can play without the nuances (or create private servers for free online play in pay per month games). Hell, I even know people that purchase a game, and then download a cracked verison because the DRM makes such a shitty experience.

also a game =/= a single album in content (unless your talking about some crappy flash game, in which case they are usually free). And if you listen to any obscure enough music you'd know that getting albums you want could take years (or never even happen).

Also with the 3ds it's going to be:
1.buy the cart
2.download games and save to flashcart
3.???
4.profit

linuxGuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Antoligy said:
I have here a Q&A of sorts, compiled from their Facebook page by the same person who informed Costello of this thread.
QUOTE(Q&A Compiled from Facebook) said:
Q. Will this card support Japan region 3DS?

Crown Flashcard: Sure, it will support all kinds of 3DS versions.

Q. Will the Crown 3DS support all region 3DS games?
Crown Flashcard: thanks for your questions, currently it can't , but when we release this card finally, it will for sure. we are working hard on it.

Q. Quick question do you guys think homebrew would be possible now?
Crown Flashcard: still too early to talk about it.

Q. It must feel great to be the first ones on the scene?
Crown Flashcard: lol glad to hear that you guys are interested in our item,working hard on it.

Q. Just tell me were and when to throw my money your way
Crown Flashcard: thanks, until now, we haven't decided the price yet and also didn't assign any reseller, we will do these jobs when the flashcard is ready to release, just keep in touch with us, follow my twitter (crown3ds) to get the update news.

Q. I want to know if this might brick the system?
Crown Flashcard: until now, there is no sign that it will brick the console, we will keep an eye on it, when this item finally releases, you guys must be safe to use it.

Q. Try to remove regional protection?
Crown Flashcard: of course we are trying to unlock the region problem. working hard on it.

Q. When will you release the flashcard?
Crown Flashcard: still working on hard on it, will release it as well as we can

Good find. If it's true that they found a way to get rid of the region lock, that would be awesome!

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
CollosalPokemon said:
- StreetPass
- SpotPass
- Wi-Fi/Wireless
- 2D/3D
- Booting commercial (only commercial) 3DS ROMs
- AP shouldn't activate with most games

Unless nintendo figures out how to detect this cart, which would probably be very difficult considering it's likely built around a commercial cart.

DSProtect managed to be able to detect 'clean' running games in it's latest versions, although i don't know how that works. So i wouldn't write that possibility off.

zanfire said:
to try and keep things on topic and get my question possibly answered...Since it would be hard for them to know if its a pirated game on this crown3ds cart would they be able to ban people online (its a bit different now with a single friend code i guess) Could they even tell?

It's just speculation but it doesn't sound like it. It sounds like online would just work as if it was a normal cart, there's nothing unique per cartridge.

DiscostewSM said:
If the games has to be 1:1 for them to work on this flashcard, then the chances of it allowing games from any region to work is slim if such region locking is within the game code/data itself, which is encrypted. Region-locking would still be in effect, in a matter of speaking.

Also, they mentioned they only got one game working atm, Splinter Cell 3D. If 1:1 duplicates are meant to work, then shouldn't any valid dumps of other games work, or is there a difference between them and they were lucky enough to get SC 3D working?

That's why i think it's to do with saving.. they probably both have the identical save type. Also the possibility that Street Fighter has an exploit in it which is why it's used but can't tell if that's certain yet. It seems like it's definitely going to be illegal due to copyrighted code included if it does need that.

QUOTE(synce @ Sep 18 2011, 07:41 PM)
BTW I wouldn't worry about Crown3DS not bypassing the region lock. The fact that they're able to do what they're doing right now means the console should be busted wide open within a year

No it doesn't mean that at all. This doesn't appear to lead to running code in any way, nothing suggests what you are saying is true.

The guy who says they are working on regions, he sounds like a PR person and not a hacker.. i seriously don't see how they can 'work' on region free? You either need to hack the game itself or the firmware. Obviously this doesn't touch the firmware and i very much doubt the games can simply be modified without failing some check, they are RSA signed after all like before? Those answers are suspicious really.. either it has potential to run code and run all regions, or it doesn't - you can't 'work on it', either it's possible or not.

Another thing, if they don't want people to copy it, then why announce it apparently long before it's ready? Unless this whole reveal is a decoy it gives potential hackers some clues as to where to look at the least. See PSJailbreak, it wasn't revealed until test units were already out on the way.

There's quite a lot of actually interesting discussion here to be had, why don't the moderators actually clean the topic of this stupid shit? People telling us what they pirate and don't, who the fuck cares? You got pages and pages of shit covering up information that people want to know, at least have it elsewhere cause it really is inane and causes people to repeat the same questions. People want to know what this means and whats possible, not your opinions on piracy.

omega59

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Infinity is right i have to agree.

And there is a crap load of trolling in this thread along with off-topic garbage. People will always wanna pirate the games, and some will say NO it's for home brew. Whatever I don't give a rats butt.

I just wanna see this happen for the very fact that i want to have the choice to do what i like with a device i purchased. cheers.

sergster1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
g2n said:
There's no file browser. It looks like a prank. (splinter cell cartridge)

You clearly havent understood anything have you? You CANNOT have a file browser as that requires a custom rom. You cannot run a custom rom on the 3DS as it will only run roms that have been signed. You cannot sign roms to run on the 3DS atm and most likely not until a few years have passed.

This device works by pretty much copying the EXACT game byte by byte to the onboard memory and the 3DS treats it as a 1:1 game card. This is the reason why it can run 1 game per flash.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omega59 said:
I just wanna see this happen for the very fact that i want to have the choice to do what i like with a device i purchased. cheers.
You already can, I don't see how something such as this would change that.

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well this does look indeed real but shouldn't there be something else connected to the board? and i highly doubt that you can fit that in your pocket

sergster1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MarioandLuigi150 said:
well this does look indeed real but shouldn't there be something else connected to the board? and i highly doubt that you can fit that in your pocket
Thats just the dev board. It can be downsized quite easily for the retail version.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
omega59 said:
You already can, I don't see how something such as this would change that.
Exactly. This isn't like today's DS flashcarts where you could carry multiple games around with one cartridge. That argument made sense.
As does the homebrew argument.

This is piracy, pure and simple.

Note: I'm not an anti-pirate, and I'm not saying this won't be the gateway to homebrew.

nano351

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MarioandLuigi150 said:
that's just a prototype to see if they can use their own storage medium (lol if they actually just removed the ROM storage from splinter cell cartridge and rewired it back on).

andibad

Soon™
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
yeah is totally real, not fake after i get response from crown itself and someone was knowing about this... yeah i just wait for release date now o.oa

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
LOL nintendo said it would be unhackable and it took 6months to break it open and this will lead to even bigger things in about 3months i see the 3ds being complely open you can bet one damn thing nintendo is shitting there pants right now

azariaspice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read that somewhere too. It looks interesting, though I'm not sure I'll pirate my 3DS games. I enjoy them more when I buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it'll give ya time to practice anyway +1