Credit Card Fraud

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Did you tell them your situation beforehand though? Because if so, of course they're going to say that
tongue.gif
They don't wanna be in the shit also for having lax credit card security/procedures.

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jumpman if Admiral Gas is anything like all gas stations I go to they
should have this idiot on video. I’m glad everything worked out in the end.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fraud is no fun, as is interest, so I decided against a credit card but do have debit cards (they work in a similar manner so I can also use it in lieu of a credit card). Fuel pump/station fraud is also a brutally simple method that anyone with half a brain can pull off which makes things ever more scary.

So here are a couple of bits of advice I picked up from various people:

Change your pin fairly often (a simple one that most forget to do).

A bit more complex but I also have an account that I use for online purchases and simple stuff like travelling (most roadside fuel places do not take cash): I call up my bank or take a wander in there to tell them to transfer some cash from my main account to my "online account", as I told them to under no circustances allow this account to go overdrawn this means at worst I lose whatever I just stuck in there and as the timeframe in minimal it is even better. It also goes some way to preventing impulse purchases.

Normally though I just go in person to a hole in the wall and pay cash.

There are also use once/phone card style "credit cards" being trialed in various places these days and I think they are a fantastic idea.

Oh and check statements thoroughly, some companies will allow you to claim back either becuase they are nice or you throw legislation in their face.

xflash

Local Ninja
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
something like this happend to my brother awhile back when he used a credit card reader at some shop luckily the dumbasses that did it used it to pay for a air port flight so we got their names and had em arrested a few days later lol

GBA_Temper

*KING OF GBATEMP*
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I say me in you we pay the PIZZA HUT a visit with all my glocks in ammo then they will spill some beanz.Since everyone got a fill up we can TAKE all PIZZA-HUT money.Any time you need help and any situation PM me I will help you handle it HOMIE!

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
On a few websites I've visited (Not Many) when paying by visa theirs a verified by visa check. I think this feature is optional. As well as inputting all your bank details you need to enter a password as well to verify that your the card holder. All online shops should really have that security.
I got a leaflet from the bank about it a few months back. I think it's a new scheme that only started recently, so hopefully they will all use it eventually
smile.gif

QUOTE(FAST6191 @ Dec 18 2006, 11:23 AM)A bit more complex but I also have an account that I use for online purchases and simple stuff like travelling... this means at worst I lose whatever I just stuck in there and as the timeframe in minimal it is even better.
Seconded, also because savings accounts have a higher interest rate than accounts with cards
happy.gif

ambitous21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how much did they actually used off your card?
consider yourself lucky, because most of the time the cops dont really investigate it.
i had my wallet stolen n the credit card was used 3 times
at a mexican restaurant, 7-11, and dominoes so they could get his footage

but they would only get a report from me n nothing else.
over the phone
me: so aren't you gonna do anything about it?
guy: uh.. nope.

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Good thing I'm not old enough to get a credit card.
I'm almost 14 and I've got my own credit card
happy.gif
(Don't worry though, it's legal, it's a student type of credit card that's made on top of a savings account, but who cares, as long as I can use it to buy stuff online
tongue.gif
)

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
My personal advice on credit cards and building credit - use it for everything you can, bills, groceries, etc, within about 75% of your limit (You don`t want to go over that amount.) Make sure that you put the CASH to cover the payment away into the bank or something. Make a single purchase each month or so that you pay off one month later. Pay off everything but that one purchase, and pay it off the next month. (One month`s worth of interest will not kill you, and it will make the card company more inclined to give you a higher limit card and other benefits, etc.)
Keep all the receipts from your card payments for 3 months - it helps if your card is stolen to show them all the ones you saved, so that you can show a solid pattern of your spending.
Make sure you enroll in their online service, so that you can check your spending - that way you know right away if your card number has been used, instead finding out later when your bill comes.

We`ve been doing this for a few years, and had good enough credit at 21 to buy a brand new $20,000 car, and at 24 to buy a $300,000 house.
biggrin.gif

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My personal advice on credit cards and building credit - use it for everything you can, bills, groceries, etc, within about 75% of your limit (You don`t want to go over that amount.) Make sure that you put the CASH to cover the payment away into the bank or something. Make a single purchase each month or so that you pay off one month later. Pay off everything but that one purchase, and pay it off the next month. (One month`s worth of interest will not kill you, and it will make the card company more inclined to give you a higher limit card and other benefits, etc.)
Keep all the receipts from your card payments for 3 months - it helps if your card is stolen to show them all the ones you saved, so that you can show a solid pattern of your spending.
Make sure you enroll in their online service, so that you can check your spending - that way you know right away if your card number has been used, instead finding out later when your bill comes.

We`ve been doing this for a few years, and had good enough credit at 21 to buy a brand new $20,000 car, and at 24 to buy a $300,000 house.
biggrin.gif

75% is a bit too high, but if you pay it off every month it's nothing to be worried about. It's bad for your credit report if you have cards that have over 50% of the limit drawn. Granted, there are much worse things that can happen to your credit report and this one is pretty minor, but for perfect credit you'll want to keep under 50% of the limit.

Also, your ability to get those loans had just as much to do with your current income as your credit score. My credit score is awesome, but I would be hesitant to lease a $20k car. The house would be more likely. What's your mortgage payment, if I may ask?

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
75% is a bit too high, but if you pay it off every month it's nothing to be worried about. It's bad for your credit report if you have cards that have over 50% of the limit drawn. Granted, there are much worse things that can happen to your credit report and this one is pretty minor, but for perfect credit you'll want to keep under 50% of the limit.

You are probably right. I guess things are different where we are (Japan). Here, as long as you have more than 15% left free in your regular balance (They separate the normal pay next month, and the pay off bit by bit balances - usually 70/30 limit when you first get your card, and it changes as you have better cards.) and pay it off promptly and in full the when you get the bill, it stays as perfect credit. I say 75% because that is a safe limit, and you have 10% to play with should you need it.

QUOTE said:
Also, your ability to get those loans had just as much to do with your current income as your credit score. My credit score is awesome, but I would be hesitant to lease a $20k car. The house would be more likely. What's your mortgage payment, if I may ask?

Our mortage payment is about $1050/month. Car was $400/month, but we paid it off in cash after 2 years, just to be sure that it wouldn`t count against our trying to get a loan for the house. Our income is pretty normal, I think, not amazing or anything.

leonardo71286

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hear a lot of people here talking about their experiences with credit fraud and having unauthorized withdrawals from their accounts.
But has anyone had a deposit made into their account which it's not theirs?
I went to check my checking account two days ago and realized Santa had left a very generous lump of money under the tree. LOL
Someone apparently made a deposit into my account by error or maybe it was a computer error from the bank.

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
I hear a lot of people here talking about their experiences with credit fraud and having unauthorized withdrawals from their accounts.
But has anyone had a deposit made into their account which it's not theirs?
I went to check my checking account two days ago and realized Santa had left a very generous lump of money under the tree. LOL
Someone apparently made a deposit into my account by error or maybe it was a computer error from the bank.

Be careful and don`t spend it. 9 times out of 10, the bank notices the error, and makes you pay them back.

Yes, happened to my mother once. Got an $850 deposit in her account, when none should have happened. A week later the bank made her pay it back (or rather just sucked it out of the account) and told us that she would have been fined if she`d withdrawn it. So... be careful.
biggrin.gif

leonardo71286

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah! I figured as much. that's why the money is just sitting there, waiting if they take it out. it's $1000 dollars so it's a bit tempting to use it, but I know better. In any case, I should sue them for making such a gross mistake, it's not even funny.

memyselfandi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

chari

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow! Incredibly educational stuff to learn here. I've never been frauded before, but I've seen a lot of shows and read the papers enough to know there's a risk in having any kind of personal information. Sometimes even a simple wallet sized birth certificate can land you in trouble.

I usually pay by credit card when I eat at a restaurant, but now I guess I'll be more weary about that too. And Pizza Hut
blink.gif
? I thought a big company like that would have better security on these things. I suppose you can't ever be too safe eh?

Oh maybe I can help out here a bit too. I'll be travelling to Scotland in January and phoned my credit card company to ask them if they could send me a new card before then since mine will expire during my holiday. They said it wouldn't be a problem and they'd make a note of it. I got pretty curious and asked them why they'd want to note my whereabouts. They said it's always a good thing to notify your credit card company before you travel abroad because if I had tried to use my card in Scotland, they would have questioned it and probably froze the card until they could clear that it is me over there using the thing. It's a good thing to know they would take that kind of precaution
smile.gif

Thanks for the heads up everyone
smile.gif
It's good to stay on top of these things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-