Creative Zen Vision W?

RayorDragonFall

I see you've played knifey-spoony before.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I think you guys will be used to me asking stuff like this by now, lol.
Anyways, since my mp3 player broke I'm looking for something that will last hopefully around 1-2 years through light wear (I'm very careful lol). Enough space so I can shove most of my music in, and since I travel a lot, a dozen or so movies, tv series or whatever, some pictures here and there, be able to listen to the radio etc...

So I checked out iriver and creative, since even though lots of people go for ipods, I'm not totally convinced. I've heard that they aren't that good anyways, and it's success is basically thanks to marketing or whatever. This is what I've been having a look at:
irivers H10
Creatives Zen Vision W

So yeah, iriver isn't going to cut it, so thats discarded. So I'm left with Zen Vision W, 30gb probably. I've been looking on Amazon and I've seen some negative reviews so I'm not sure if I should buy it or not, like stuttering imagine on video files and stuff.
Any of you guys/girls own this device? Or have seen one, etc.? Also, if theres anything thats superior in sense of quality or durability then could you tell me about it (but around the same price, I ain't got that much gold XD)?
Also, what screen protector do you guys recommend? Don't want the screen to get those little hair-fine scratches I've got on my DS..
Thanks (AGAIN! lol).
RDF

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm ever so glad you asked
smile.gif
Ive had one since X-mas 06. One thing which is a MUST for screen protection is BSE
http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/StoreFront
Its like 160504604 times better than any iPod and I love it to death. Been watching Bleach over on it again.

NOTE: it comes with everything you need to download movies and watch them on TV. Just make sure to get a nice case. The one I got was for a DSLite seeing as they're almost the exact same size.
smile.gif

If you wanna know more about creative PMP's check epizenter.net
As far as prices and deals go...I'll have to get back to you on that, as I dont know if the stores I use ship to the EU.
DSC02481.jpg

More pics to come soon if you like.

RayorDragonFall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think Vision W would be better to watch stuff with, Vision Ms screen looks pretty tiny to be staring at for a long time, even though its probably the size of one of a DS...
As for what shinji said:
So BSE is the best stuff you can get? I don't want stuff like glue on my screen, or it peeling of after a year or so. A DSL case would be fine?
Also, I'm not sure if I should buy the case/screen protector with the Creative brand on it? As it would be made specifically for the Zen Vision W (warranty and so on?).
Anyways, the pics look great if you could post any more.
Thanks for all the info so far,
You're all great
wub.gif
RDF

Edit: Also, is zencast.com any good? It's down at the moment..

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I think zencast.com is just for zencasts (like podcasts but video). BSE is just that, the best skins ever. on the epizenter site, people have posted their thoughts on the application process and such, they all end up good. No glue or residue. I'll see if I can dig up their pictures (gotta register to see pictures)No peeling either. And yes, if you're using this for long periods of time, wide screen is def the way to go. As far as 3rd party vs 1st party, screen protectors are much better 3rd party. Case wise, AFAIK, Creative only makes the leather folio case for the W. A DSL case works fine and I like it much better than a folio (I also use my player in my car. YAY aux jack).

I'll be back with pic's and the BSE tut
smile.gif

EDIT: heres one of the BSE application posts. Dont be scared cause the water/windex....
QUOTE said:
So I figured I'd post this up, not because there isn't enough information on the forums about 'howto' apply the BSE, but rather the pics that go along with most are less than desirable (no offense to those who posted!). I'm a wedding photographer, so good pictures make a big difference (specially when posting close up images).

So I got my BSE today in the mail. Simple envelope, not bent. I ordered one for my ZVW and also my NintendoDSLite which I still have to apply.

Anyhoo, so here we are. I have some LCD screen cleaner for my monitor, which I used to 'really' clean the screen of the Zen. Of course you really want to have that screen clean before you apply the BSE otherwise it will just protect any marks on the screen, ie: pointless! Blow off any dust particles as well.

So here we are with the ZVW and the BSE still on the backing paper:

bse-1.jpg

See how nice and clean the screen is? So next step is peeling off the BSE from the backing paper, and putting it into the saucer filled with windex. After soaking both sides, I flapped it around like a wet dog, and plopped it down on the Zen. I started on one side, and let it slowly down. This way you minimize the amount of bubbles (but of course will still have a few).

bse-2.jpg

Ack! Look, its WET! This is where I should mention, REMOVE the battery before doing this. Just to be on the safe side. The Zen remained wet for this shot, then I picked it up, and held it on its side so the windex would run off, in which I wiped the edge dry. Don't put the tissue/towel ON the BSE otherwise it will pull dust/particles onto it.

After letting it sit for a few minutes to dry, I used a creditcard and pressed out any bubbles. I did it once, waited a min, then did it again, waited a few mins, then did it again. After 5 mins, I had it almost bubblefree.

Here's the 'windex' spot shot showing the application after 5 minutes of applying it!

bse-3.jpg

Its been about 20 mins since I've done this so far, and I can see maybe two small small bubbles. I'm leaving it over night and see how she looks tomorrow morning, and see if I can squeeze them out. In all, it was an easy process, and I feel much safer using my zen now (was really paranoid the last week that I was gonna scratch the beautiful screen.

I'll post up another few images tomorrow with the final product after the 24hr recommended wait time.

Thanks for reading!

Note: I should mention the precut ZVW skin from BSE is about 1mm small around all the sides. So it doesn't have 100% full coverage of the screen. I would probably say that it would be about 97% coverage of the entire screen. Take this for what its worth. If you 'really' want full coverage, I would recommended buying a full size sheet that they sell and cutting it yourself. Why they've done this i'm not too sure, maybe for ease of application. I will post pics tomorrow or this weekend to illustrate this.

RayorDragonFall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Heh... Not to be scared then...
unsure.gif

Does any liquid glass cleaner work?
Btw, do you use headphones? If so, which ones?
You can't use it as an external hard drive right?
Anything you aren't happy with?
Did you buy the 30G or 60G?

Lol lots of questions.. sorry
shy.gif

RDF

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Heh... Not to be scared then...
unsure.gif
Â

Does any liquid glass cleaner work?
Anything similar to windex should work just as good. No harsh chemicals!
mad.gif

Btw, do you use headphones? If so, which ones?
Yup yup, sure do. These are my noise cancelling ones and these I just got off of woot, but use them for exercise and work (when I have to pay SOME attention).
You can't use it as an external hard drive right?
You can. Theres a setting in the menu to partition set ammounts to be external. For my 30G the options are 512, 1G, 1.5G, 2G, 4G, 8G, and 16G. It doesnt let you use much more than half for portable HDD.
Anything you aren't happy with?
Um, I know its the main reason I like it, but the big screen. More screen area=more surfaces to possibly get damaged
frown.gif
so confusing...
Did you buy the 30G or 60G?
30G. But they have recently redesigned the 60G to be the exact same size as the 30G.
beforezvw.jpg
afterzvw.jpg

Lol lots of questions.. sorryÂ
shy.gif
Hope this helps...
biggrin.gif
Any more Questions I'll gladly answer for you.

RayorDragonFall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is this the new thin version of the 60G?
Anyways, I'll think ill let this topic die. Its only me and you writing about it, so is it ok if I PM you when I have things more certain in my head?
Thanks for all the help
tongue.gif

RDF

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Donno bout inch to mm conversion but the amazon page says
1.04 inches and the slim designs are now 22mm. Old versions were 26.4mm
March is when the redesign models hit Japan. So they SHOULD be available on sites by now. Hope you can find good prices (remember, retail is for dummys
smile.gif
)
Feel free to PM me any time.

strummer12

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't be stupid and use windex. that shit has amonia in it and it eats plastic and will make the screen brittle.

I use eyeglasses cleaner that's safe for plastic and anti-glare.

hobotent

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I was looking at this thing and I'm really interested in it, but do you know the max bitrate that it still performs 100% on?

What's the highest you've gone in bitrate without problems?

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Did you even check out that picture tutorial? "NO AMMO____" fill in the blank. I'm sure its a given that Windex doesnt have ammo XD

And about the bitrate questions, check out
http://www.epizenter.net/e107_plugins/foru....php?21300.post
For some discussion on the bitrates for the M. I dont really try to max out my rates, so I keep it in the safe zone personally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up