Creative Zen Vision W?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by RayorDragonFall, Apr 22, 2007.

Apr 22, 2007

Creative Zen Vision W? by RayorDragonFall at 4:04 PM (2,770 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. RayorDragonFall
    OP

Member RayorDragonFall I see you've played knifey-spoony before.

Spain
    Ok, I think you guys will be used to me asking stuff like this by now, lol.
    Anyways, since my mp3 player broke I'm looking for something that will last hopefully around 1-2 years through light wear (I'm very careful lol). Enough space so I can shove most of my music in, and since I travel a lot, a dozen or so movies, tv series or whatever, some pictures here and there, be able to listen to the radio etc...

So I checked out iriver and creative, since even though lots of people go for ipods, I'm not totally convinced. I've heard that they aren't that good anyways, and it's success is basically thanks to marketing or whatever. This is what I've been having a look at:
    irivers H10
    Creatives Zen Vision W

So yeah, iriver isn't going to cut it, so thats discarded. So I'm left with Zen Vision W, 30gb probably. I've been looking on Amazon and I've seen some negative reviews so I'm not sure if I should buy it or not, like stuttering imagine on video files and stuff.
    Any of you guys/girls own this device? Or have seen one, etc.? Also, if theres anything thats superior in sense of quality or durability then could you tell me about it (but around the same price, I ain't got that much gold XD)?
    Also, what screen protector do you guys recommend? Don't want the screen to get those little hair-fine scratches I've got on my DS..
    Thanks (AGAIN! lol).
    RDF

2. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    I'm ever so glad you asked [​IMG] Ive had one since X-mas 06. One thing which is a MUST for screen protection is BSE
    http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/StoreFront
    Its like 160504604 times better than any iPod and I love it to death. Been watching Bleach over on it again.

NOTE: it comes with everything you need to download movies and watch them on TV. Just make sure to get a nice case. The one I got was for a DSLite seeing as they're almost the exact same size. [​IMG]

If you wanna know more about creative PMP's check epizenter.net
    As far as prices and deals go...I'll have to get back to you on that, as I dont know if the stores I use ship to the EU.
    [​IMG]
    More pics to come soon if you like.

3. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Vision W? Why not just get a Vision M?

4. RayorDragonFall
    OP

Spain
    I think Vision W would be better to watch stuff with, Vision Ms screen looks pretty tiny to be staring at for a long time, even though its probably the size of one of a DS...
    As for what shinji said:
    So BSE is the best stuff you can get? I don't want stuff like glue on my screen, or it peeling of after a year or so. A DSL case would be fine?
    Also, I'm not sure if I should buy the case/screen protector with the Creative brand on it? As it would be made specifically for the Zen Vision W (warranty and so on?).
    Anyways, the pics look great if you could post any more.
    Thanks for all the info so far,
    You're all great [​IMG].
    RDF

Edit: Also, is zencast.com any good? It's down at the moment..

5. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    I think zencast.com is just for zencasts (like podcasts but video). BSE is just that, the best skins ever. on the epizenter site, people have posted their thoughts on the application process and such, they all end up good. No glue or residue. I'll see if I can dig up their pictures (gotta register to see pictures)No peeling either. And yes, if you're using this for long periods of time, wide screen is def the way to go. As far as 3rd party vs 1st party, screen protectors are much better 3rd party. Case wise, AFAIK, Creative only makes the leather folio case for the W. A DSL case works fine and I like it much better than a folio (I also use my player in my car. YAY aux jack).

I'll be back with pic's and the BSE tut [​IMG]

EDIT: heres one of the BSE application posts. Dont be scared cause the water/windex....

6. RayorDragonFall
    OP

Spain
    Heh... Not to be scared then... [​IMG]
    Does any liquid glass cleaner work?
    Btw, do you use headphones? If so, which ones?
    You can't use it as an external hard drive right?
    Anything you aren't happy with?
    Did you buy the 30G or 60G?

Lol lots of questions.. sorry [​IMG]
    RDF

7. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Anything similar to windex should work just as good. No harsh chemicals! [​IMG]
    Yup yup, sure do. These are my noise cancelling ones and these I just got off of woot, but use them for exercise and work (when I have to pay SOME attention).
    You can. Theres a setting in the menu to partition set ammounts to be external. For my 30G the options are 512, 1G, 1.5G, 2G, 4G, 8G, and 16G. It doesnt let you use much more than half for portable HDD.
    Um, I know its the main reason I like it, but the big screen. More screen area=more surfaces to possibly get damaged [​IMG] so confusing...
    30G. But they have recently redesigned the 60G to be the exact same size as the 30G.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Hope this helps... [​IMG] Any more Questions I'll gladly answer for you.

8. RayorDragonFall
    OP

Spain
    Is this the new thin version of the 60G?
    Anyways, I'll think ill let this topic die. Its only me and you writing about it, so is it ok if I PM you when I have things more certain in my head?
    Thanks for all the help [​IMG]
    RDF

9. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Donno bout inch to mm conversion but the amazon page says
    1.04 inches and the slim designs are now 22mm. Old versions were 26.4mm
    March is when the redesign models hit Japan. So they SHOULD be available on sites by now. Hope you can find good prices (remember, retail is for dummys [​IMG])
    Feel free to PM me any time.

10. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    I just have the M and it's pretty good. This is good for movies but it's just too damn big.

11. strummer12

Member strummer12 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Don't be stupid and use windex. that shit has amonia in it and it eats plastic and will make the screen brittle.

I use eyeglasses cleaner that's safe for plastic and anti-glare.

12. hobotent

Member hobotent GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey I was looking at this thing and I'm really interested in it, but do you know the max bitrate that it still performs 100% on?

What's the highest you've gone in bitrate without problems?

13. hobotent

Member hobotent GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Can anyone with a W be kind enough to reply? [​IMG]

14. RayorDragonFall
    OP

Spain
    Lol hobotent: I'd like that too, but I didnt bump the topic XD.

15. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Did you even check out that picture tutorial? "NO AMMO____" fill in the blank. I'm sure its a given that Windex doesnt have ammo XD

And about the bitrate questions, check out
    http://www.epizenter.net/e107_plugins/foru....php?21300.post
    For some discussion on the bitrates for the M. I dont really try to max out my rates, so I keep it in the safe zone personally.