Creating emunand for oled switch

FAKEdemicBioPYSCHONANOWAR

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/issues/675

I did 12 GB file based partition in partition manager hekate and then created file sized emunand and when in switch homescreen storage I see 54,9GB storage.
Now there is someone who says you should do 2x 29GB and deleting partitions in windows. I did it with file based partition and now I see 58.X GB 2nd partition in windows.
But I don't see the advantage of it, esp since my first method already somehow says I have 54,9GB storage in switch os itself...
What exactly is the benefit of having a 58GB extra partition on your sd in windows explorer?

After emunand is done. switch os also says 54,9GB storage with your method described... so i dont get why this is needed. same storage wether you choose 1x 12GB or 2x 29GB.
Just that with 1x12GB your sd card total space is spaced together and usable for install stuff. With 2x29GB forming them into one 58 GB extra partition... I dont think the extra partition is even used...

Reactions: leerz

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
you have to decide which emunand it is you want, file based or partition based.

here's the catch with 64gb emunand, hekate doesn't support 64gb yet.

this is why you needed to make 29x2 and delete the two and then create 1 big emunand so you don't need to guess the size.

filebased is kindy buggy and slow, although the benefit of this is it's easy to migrate to a new sdcard, fat32 then copy paste will do you good.

i've read multiple times that you can use a smaller emunand size, even sthetix mentioned it, but i haven't really searched for information about how this should be done properly, hekate would always match the emmc size the your partition size so idk right now why there's even an option to choose -

edit---- ok sthetix already did it, see reply above

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

this is why you needed to make 29x2 and delete the two and then create 1 big emunand so you don't need to guess the size.

filebased is kindy buggy and slow, although the benefit of this is it's easy to migrate to a new sdcard, fat32 then copy paste will do you good.

i've read multiple times that you can use a smaller emunand size, even sthetix mentioned it, but i haven't really searched for information about how this should be done properly, hekate would always match the emmc size the your partition size so idk right now why there's even an option to choose -

As I explained i got 54,9 GB storage in switch OS. Wether I do 29x2(windows fuse big emunand) or wether I do 1x 12GB.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

I redid the process and now it does say 12 GB space lol in the switch OS... strange.. different 1TB sd card though...
Seems my 54,9GB behaviour was solely tied to my other 1TB sd card for some reason.

Anyway when you say create 1 big emunand do you mean this work with either filebased and partition based nand?
Also when creating 12 GB emunand I get only 4,5 GB free. where is like 5GB going???? I don't understand...If I have like 880 GB... i can install many games... it will create save data for each game etc.. and space will run out. 4,5 GB is not alot....And it will run out!

1642558451565.png

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/issues/675

I did 12 GB file based partition in partition manager hekate and then created file sized emunand and when in switch homescreen storage I see 54,9GB storage.
Now there is someone who says you should do 2x 29GB and deleting partitions in windows. I did it with file based partition and now I see 58.X GB 2nd partition in windows.
But I don't see the advantage of it, esp since my first method already somehow says I have 54,9GB storage in switch os itself...
What exactly is the benefit of having a 58GB extra partition on your sd in windows explorer?

After emunand is done. switch os also says 54,9GB storage with your method described... so i dont get why this is needed. same storage wether you choose 1x 12GB or 2x 29GB.
Just that with 1x12GB your sd card total space is spaced together and usable for install stuff. With 2x29GB forming them into one 58 GB extra partition... I dont think the extra partition is even used...
I suggest not using file based emuNAND. You have a risk of corrupting your emuNAND (because if the filesystem it's on is corrupted it also corrupts the emuNAND), which is greatly exacerbated if you use ExFAT, and on top of that, it's slower because all reads/writes have to go through two layers of file system. And there aren't a whole lot of benefits to actually using a file based emuNAND.

Reactions: leerz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended