Tutorial Creating a 3ds custom theme from scratch with YATA+ v1.1

Would you like a some videos on how to make themes ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

~Poke~

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know where folders pull their colours from if custom folders are disabled?
It does look like most of the folder is default grey so I guess I'll have to give it a custom icon anyway, but the darker bit is pulling colours from somewhere and I have no idea where.

While we're at it, "Bottom Solid" and "Bottom Outer" don't have any explanations, anyone know what they're even about? Are they only for when there is no picture on the bottom?

EDIT: Okay, at the risk of seeming really obvious... It turns out the 2d folder colour is mostly unchangeable, but the background bit comes from the 3d folder colour.
This kinda seems like a pretty big design flaw to me since imo you want contrast between the folder and the file-in-the folder, but it still looks best if the folders and separate files themselves match. But hey what do I know about palettes? No use complaining anyway since it's nintendo's fault haha.

Last edited by ~Poke~,

Phanton

GBAtemp's Nui lover
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Check out my theme, what do you guys think? XD
14febedf35.jpg
Did you upload it to 3dsthemes? I really want it

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
To every one who is having problems with the background, try to disable "enable use of SFX" in the theme settings, this should fix it, this is a problem that happens when you have that setting enabled without using any CWAV, also, if you import at least one CWAV you won't have this problem

Last edited by exelix11,

blmurphy00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im having trouble making a scrolling theme. Everytime I make the theme scroll when I load it it becomes super glitchy. I need help

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Does anyone know how to properly install the SFX files? I am so confused with the Nintendo SDK and what that is :/
To convert WAVs to CWAVs (the format of sfx) you need a tool from the nintendo sdk, to just add CWAVs that you arleady have you must use Edit -> create cwav chunk and you don't need that tool

Z4n7h3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anyway to remove the generic folder background? I want to do an unconventional folder icon. :)

I added the icon and has like a gray folder placeholder icon behind it. Also what are the sizes for the borders? I added icon images but they didn't work at all. Also my background music is 3.3mb; is that ok?

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there anyway to remove the generic folder background? I want to do an unconventional folder icon. :)

I added the icon and has like a gray folder placeholder icon behind it. Also what are the sizes for the borders? I added icon images but they didn't work at all. Also my background music is 3.3mb; is that ok?
You must enable the icons and folders in the theme settings to make them work, check the sizes in the tutorial of the first post, the bgm is ok, make sure you enabled it in the theme settings too

Z4n7h3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must enable the icons and folders in the theme settings to make them work, check the sizes in the tutorial of the first post, the bgm is ok, make sure you enabled it in the theme settings too

Thanks! I follow the instructions but then my background music sounds like someone just blowing into the mic / really windy day. :(

-Hero-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love to upload the theme I made but I'm not sure, I still want to add a few more things to it. Still waiting for a more accurate previewer for YATA, I really want to get the right colors for the UI/Buttons and such. I want to add SFX too but CTR_WaveConverter crashes everytime it opens.

My PC doesn't have an SD slot either, which really sucks, so I don't have the chance to test it on a 3DS when I want to.

Tutorial is very useful by the way.
Music has Overworld Theme if anyone is wondering, I also have Phantom Forest theme in a seperate file just in-case I want to switch the music.
d7fe80ac92.png

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I would love to upload the theme I made but I'm not sure, I still want to add a few more things to it. Still waiting for a more accurate previewer for YATA, I really want to get the right colors for the UI/Buttons and such. I want to add SFX too but CTR_WaveConverter crashes everytime it opens.

My PC doesn't have an SD slot either, which really sucks, so I don't have the chance to test it on a 3DS when I want to.

Tutorial is very useful by the way.
Music has Overworld Theme if anyone is wondering, I also have Phantom Forest theme in a seperate file just in-case I want to switch the music.
d7fe80ac92.png
A better preview would be difficult and time consuming, I would have to find out precisely how 3ds makes every effect on the UI and replicate it. to test your theme you can use File -> install theme to install the theme on your 3ds sending it via ftp, or if you have ninjhax1 in the next version I'll ad a way to send themes directly to chmm2.
For WaveConverter it's a Nintendo tool I can't help you, and you can't ask to them too because it's illegal to have that file without being a official developer, check if you have every dll.

Igettäjä

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Does someone know how many pixels are there between the top and bottom screen? I'd like my background pictures to align seamlessly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Sigh