OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok so bottom line, yesterday I opened my ds and I realized it was broken
frown.gif

It's not a big deal but the "flip open shaft" has a crack now and won't lock when opened

Im just wondering if I could do anything about that? If I leave it like that, will it eventually break apart (like some I saw online?)
Is there any other ways to change that instead of changing the whole shell (I really don't know where to buy a new shell now that shoptemp is gone :'(

Thanks for the help

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you can case swap it to fix the issue

it's a good idea to do it relative soon after determining that is the issue, because excessive opening beyond the normal locking point puts undue stress on the flexible data cable that connects the upper lcd display to the ds' main board (which can ultimately lead to having to replace the display as well)

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it's still in warranty, you can contact Nintendo. Hell, someone has posted a thread here about the same problem, and their DS was out of warranty. Nintendo might do it because this was a BIG problem with the DSL's.

Or you can just spend $20.00 or so and get a replacement shell with all the buttons, and a screwdriver.

theedge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for the late reply,
and thanks for answering my question

My DS is out of warranty so I don't think sending it to Nintendo to fix it is a good idea for my wallet
So I'm thinking about buying a replacement case (but i do have to change the whole case?)

Id like to know if anyone has a good online place where I can order it? (not too expensive
smile.gif

thanks all!

keasy

Trophies
XP
Country
I sorted my sons today with a similar/same problem.

The little hinge had cracked and broke clean off and I couldn't find the piece.

ndsl1.jpg

So I improvised.

I measured the size of the remaining gap where the plastic had cracked and broken off. Cut and folded a piece of cardboard (from a painkiller box) three times (x3 for strength), to match the size of the gap. I then glued this in place so the two parts that were no longer interconnected now had their gap closed.

Worked surprisingly well.

I even trimmed any excess pieces of cardboard that had fluffed up and tomorrow I will use a felt pen to make the cardboard even whiter in order to blend better
smile.gif

If anyone wants a pic I'll post it up.

SmokeFox

Trophies
Website
www.romhacking.net
XP
Country
Brazil
I had the same problem and mine was the white one too, i bought one crystal shell and use the guide of GBAtemp, man my DSL look really cool now, brand new, and it is very easy to do.

theedge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Other games I can have turned up to like 2X and all kinds of enhancements, Motorstorm hmmm nope...