Homebrew Coverflow DS (New project)

Lanulus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
J8son said:
As my questions above indicated, I need a simple set of install instructions to get this up and running for a first time user. I've never used this app and only started using a DS Flash Cart at all during the last week.

If it loads and you've updated your card correctly, then try pressing 'L' or 'R' and see if they show up. On my R4 DSCovered would automatically open the favorites list on startup, even if you hadn't selected a single game as your favorite. Pressing either of those should switch to the normal view.

J8son

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE:

With some toying around with my SD card and DSTT Flash Card, I was able to figure out the problem. It seems that my original setup of loading my games from the F:\DS Games directory will not work with DScovered. The games MUST be copied to the root of the card.

However, even though the games now appear in the coverflow view on my DS, I can't seem to launch them. I'm pressing every button and using the stylus with no luck. Also, I can't seem to access the "Settings" and "Information" menus located on the top screen of the DS.

What am I doing wrong?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
J8son said:
However, even though the games now appear in the coverflow view on my DS, I can't seem to launch them. I'm pressing every button and using the stylus with no luck. Also, I can't seem to access the "Settings" and "Information" menus located on the top screen of the DS.

What am I doing wrong?
Well, I don't remember if this loads commercial roms or not, but you can't access the Settings and Information menus because there aren't any settings or information menus implemented yet (stated in the thread...).

J8son

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just downloaded and installed the new version released Feb 14. DS Roms still not loading. I'm assuming this has to be a feature at some point as it's shown as a feature in the developers screen shots.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
Soft reset auto enabled when loading commercial games.
Nvm, I found a line that suggests that commercial loading is intended. Possibly it has something to do with the loader.nds? Maybe you could try swapping that for a loader like Unneon's, Xenon++'s, or the YSLoader (not much work involved since it was supposed to load ysmenu anyways I believe).

J8son

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
spinal_cord said:
Soft reset auto enabled when loading commercial games.
Nvm, I found a line that suggests that commercial loading is intended. Possibly it has something to do with the loader.nds? Maybe you could try swapping that for a loader like Unneon's, Xenon++'s, or the YSLoader (not much work involved since it was supposed to load ysmenu anyways I believe).

Hmmm, interesting. And how would I do this? I'm running the latest DSTT kernel downloaded from the official site and the YSmenu set to load as default. Which file do I need to swap in order to try a different loader with Coverflow?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
J8son said:
Hmmm, interesting. And how would I do this? I'm running the latest DSTT kernel downloaded from the official site and the YSmenu set to load as default. Which file do I need to swap in order to try a different loader with Coverflow?
The one in the CoverflowDS's system folder. The one aptly named "loader.nds" xD.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
J8son said:
UPDATE:

With some toying around with my SD card and DSTT Flash Card, I was able to figure out the problem. It seems that my original setup of loading my games from the F:\DS Games directory will not work with DScovered. The games MUST be copied to the root of the card.

What am I doing wrong?

the games can be anywhere you want on your card, it makes no difference to the loader. My games for example, are in /ds games my homebrew is in /ds games/homebrew.

the settings and information items are not yet set up in the menu, don't worry about that.

And always remember to run DScovery.exe and set up your card BEFORE running DScovered.nds on the DS.

WoobiE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@spinal_cord: This is very odd. I'm still running DSision2, I execute DScovered (latest build) and then I choose a game to play. It runs fine, it calls up YSmenu and plays the rom. I then tried to actually have YSmenu as the R4 default firmware, I can get into DScovered but I can't load anything, not homebrews neither roms.

Just a question of out the blue. Are you going to code DScovered to be able to load just like DSision2? As a stand alone?

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I tested with AK2i.
I hit some Dpads but only "unknown" showed.
I hit A button then ysmenu launched (maybe because I have /YSMenu/YSMenu.ini. Why doesn't DSision* SEARCH for ysmenu.ini?).
Finally I launched a ROM then white out.

Chishm's bootlib is reported to prevent ROM loading on DSTT/AK2i so mshl2wrap(Link Launcher) doesn't use it.

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a suggestion about loading ROMs.
Now DScovered uses /loadfile.dat for loader.nds, but why don't you use /moonshl2/extlink.dat for nds.akaio.nds (or ysloaders, possibly ini setting)?
It has following format:
typedef u16 UnicodeChar;
#define ExtLinkBody_MaxLength (256)
#define ExtLinkBody_ID (0x30545845) // EXT0
typedef struct {
u32 ID,dummy1,dummy2,dummy3; // dummy is ZERO.
char DataFullPathFilenameAlias[ExtLinkBody_MaxLength];
char DataPathAlias[ExtLinkBody_MaxLength];
char DataFilenameAlias[ExtLinkBody_MaxLength];
char NDSFullPathFilenameAlias[ExtLinkBody_MaxLength];
char NDSPathAlias[ExtLinkBody_MaxLength];
char NDSFilenameAlias[ExtLinkBody_MaxLength];
UnicodeChar DataFullPathFilenameUnicode[ExtLinkBody_MaxLength];
UnicodeChar DataPathUnicode[ExtLinkBody_MaxLength];
UnicodeChar DataFilenameUnicode[ExtLinkBody_MaxLength];
UnicodeChar NDSFullPathFilenameUnicode[ExtLinkBody_MaxLength];
UnicodeChar NDSPathUnicode[ExtLinkBody_MaxLength];
UnicodeChar NDSFilenameUnicode[ExtLinkBody_MaxLength];
} TExtLinkBody;
So what you have to do is only write loader name to NDS... and target ROM name to Data...
As for UTF8UCS2 conversion, _FAT_directory_mbstoucs2() in libfat/directory.c can be used (If you use devkitARMr20 or r21 my modified version in mshl2tools_r21 will be required).

J8son

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
J8son said:
UPDATE:

What am I doing wrong?

the games can be anywhere you want on your card, it makes no difference to the loader. My games for example, are in /ds games my homebrew is in /ds games/homebrew.

the settings and information items are not yet set up in the menu, don't worry about that.

And always remember to run DScovery.exe and set up your card BEFORE running DScovered.nds on the DS.

OK, I'm going to format my card again and start over to see if I can get the DS games to launch from the coverflow view.

Does this also mean that the Favorites menu is not implemented at this point?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Favourites is working in this build.
What I never realised though, is that if you have removed all of the favourites, DScovered will still try to show the list, so you will no see any covers on the screen. Just tap L/R if that happens, to get back to the main list.

I will have to remember to fix that.

J8son

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE:

Totally wiped my card, reinstalled everything from the ground up and still cant launch my DS games from the coverflow view.

Has anyone actually got this working on a DSTT cart? Thats what I'm running.....

CrazyPuzzler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Does anybody know how to launch the DScovery.exe, beacause when I start it it say something like
'cannot initialize DScovery (0xc000135)'
and then I have to click OK so I can click on DS.covered again and repeat this process.
help would be appreciated
yaynds.gif

zulu12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
J8son said:
UPDATE:

Totally wiped my card, reinstalled everything from the ground up and still cant launch my DS games from the coverflow view.

Has anyone actually got this working on a DSTT cart? Thats what I'm running.....

Yes DSTT card work. In fact, Dscovered work best with it. Just go and read few pages back. Someone post instruction in there. Also be sure to setup YSMENU for DSTT.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
CrazyPuzzler said:
Does anybody know how to launch the DScovery.exe, beacause when I start it it say something like
'cannot initialize DScovery (0xc000135)'
and then I have to click OK so I can click on DS.covered again and repeat this process.
help would be appreciated
yaynds.gif
Get the latest Microsoft .net framework

J8son

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I've gone back to page one of the thread and read EVERYTHING. I'm definitely a little more informed but I just wanted to cover my basis here and make sure I"m not missing something.

Tell me if I'm wrong on these points:

1) I've gotten as far as converting my TTDS Menu to the YSMenu. I'm assuming I no longer need to do any additional DLDI patching to any of the Coverflow or Menu files as the "ttextract" file did this for me during the YSMenu install?

2) The above process of replacing my TTDS Menu with the YSMenu does not place any additional loaders on the root of my MicroSD card (I followed this tutorial: http://www.radio-ninty.com/SMF/index.php?topic=140.0;wap2). So, simply copying the files DScovered.nds and the System folder to the root of my card should allow me to load Coverflow and launch the DS games directly?

Am I getting warmer here?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
no no no, no need for all of that.

1. Set ysmenu to work on your card, do not set it as the default loader.
Keep ysmenu.nds in the root of your card (and whatever files it requires in whatever place it expects to find them.

2. Use this ttmenu.dat, It's the one from my own card, it does indeed work. If you would rather create your own, just dldi patch dscoverd.nds and rename it to ttmenu.dat.

3. Run DScovery.exe select your microsd card from the drive list, tick the games you wish to see in the menu, hit the update button.

Thats it, there really shouldn't be any problems with that, I've done it a million times already.

J8son

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
no no no, no need for all of that.

1. Set ysmenu to work on your card, do not set it as the default loader.
Keep ysmenu.nds in the root of your card (and whatever files it requires in whatever place it expects to find them.

2. Use this ttmenu.dat, It's the one from my own card, it does indeed work. If you would rather create your own, just dldi patch dscoverd.nds and rename it to ttmenu.dat.

3. Run DScovery.exe select your microsd card from the drive list, tick the games you wish to see in the menu, hit the update button.

Thats it, there really shouldn't be any problems with that, I've done it a million times already.

Alright, sounds good. That's definitely a little more clear. I'm leaving and I'll be back in a few so I'll give it a try and keep you posted.

Thanks
yaywii.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1