Couple questions about Dsi and flash

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by dhnods, Jul 19, 2010.

Jul 19, 2010
  1. dhnods
    OP

Newcomer dhnods Newbie

United States
    Hi, I am about to buy a DSi and flashcard.

I have read some other topics and plan on getting the acekard 2i from shoptemp. I want to try and figure out a couple things before i do though.

First of all, I take it an SD card is necessary, and how many GBs does one really need? I'm aiming at 8gigs but is that excessive? Would it by wiser to go smaller on the gigs in case I need to upgrade the entire card in near future?

I read in one topic from tk_saturn "All flashcarts require a MicroSD card, then are unable to use the DSi's card slot."(Important info it seems, but I can't understand it grammatically) This is because DSi mode hasn't been broken and hence also applies to the DSi Camera etc.

The Acekard requires a firmware update so it can be used on a DSi with firmware 1.4. If your DSi is already updated to firmware 1.4, you will have to perfrom the update on a DS Lite/ DS Phat or DSi with Firmware 1.3.

ShopTemp will preupdate them for you if you select that as an option when you add it to the cart. See Premium Update + Flashing Service.
    "

This info is very helpful, but as I have not bought my DSi yet, should I just assume that if I buy a new one it will have Firmware 1.4? I may not have access to another DS to do this work myself and was planning on ordering the flashcart before I pick up DSi.

Thanks for your time, hope my questions weren't too redundant.

2. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Yes, a Micro SD Card is needed.
    I use 2 GB's, and that's plenty.
    Yes, I'd expect to see firmware 1.4 with a new DSi.
    Like TK said, just order the flashing service, when you buy the Acekard 2i. Then there will be no need to flash it yourself. [​IMG]

3. dhnods
    OP

Newcomer dhnods Newbie

United States
    Thanks for fast reply [​IMG]

I'm still thrown off by what saturn meant when he wrote "All flashcarts require a MicroSD card, then are unable to use the DSi's card slot." it makes it sound like you need the micro SD card, but then SD card prevents you from using DSi's card slot. I'll just assume I'm reading too much into the grammar error.

4. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    The MicroSD capacity is upto you. The larger you get, the more games you will be able to play at one time. Even if you get a 2GB card, you will still be able to play all the games, just less at any one time. You can always insert the MicroSD card into a PC and remove some of the games you are no longer playing.

On average if you trim them, you can get around 25-50 games per 2GB card ie 100-200 on a 8GB MicroSD card. It will very depending on the games, a few are over 256MB while there are also some under 16MB.

The DSi has it's own SD card slot, the flashcart will not be able to access this. It can only access what's on it's own MicroSD card. That person wanted to know if he could store flashcart games on the DSi's SD card slot, you can't.

Yes, a new DSi will have FW 1.4.

There's a full guide in my signature. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=218103

5. dhnods
    OP

Newcomer dhnods Newbie

United States
    Ah ok, thanks a lot. Everything is clear now. [​IMG]