OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok here's some quick nooby questions for you:

1. I understand that pretty much any apps make by Wanni have a high chance to brick. Is this only if you don't follow directions or do his apps just randomly fail and brick?

2. I heard that bricking with a cIOS or with one of Wanni's programs (like WAD Manager) is a brick of it's own and is pretty much impossible to recover from. Is this true? I assume something like Bootmii as boot2 would be able to fix this if you've set a "restore point" and then you just restore your backup.

3. Since Wiigator's Gamecube Backup Launcher only requires your MIOS to be patched wouldn't that mean it's the safest app?

4. How many people have really bricked using a cIOS? Is it just unneeded paranoia created by people like Team Twiizer and comex to get you to not run backups?

5. ????

6. PROFIT!!!

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
1. I understand that pretty much any apps make by Wanni have a high chance to brick. Is this only if you don't follow directions or do his apps just randomly fail and brick?

I haven't heard of any such thing. A number of apps commonly used are by Waniniko and they don't have issues.

QUOTE said:
2. I heard that bricking with a cIOS or with one of Wanni's programs (like WAD Manager) is a brick of it's own and is pretty much impossible to recover from. Is this true? I assume something like Bootmii as boot2 would be able to fix this if you've set a "restore point" and then you just restore your backup.

cIOS v11 out there right now is a leak that is a bit unstable, but as far as I'm aware, it doesn't brick. cIOS v10 is the one to get. Just always read/get stuff from reliable sources.

QUOTE said:
3. Since Wiigator's Gamecube Backup Launcher only requires your MIOS to be patched wouldn't that mean it's the safest app?

You have too much paranoia here.

4. How many people have really bricked using a cIOS? Is it just unneeded paranoia created by people like Team Twiizer and comex to get you to not run backups?

Probably like 1 or 2. Unneeded paranoia, again.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
DeltaBurnt said:
Ok here's some quick nooby questions for you:

5. ????

6. PROFIT!!!

generally speaking, every application modiying the Wii internal memory is potentially dangerous because if something happen (wrong manipulation on your side, system poweroff or in some rare cases program bugs), you might endup with a non bootable system

this include all applications which install or patch IOS, channels or system menu files (throught WAD or any other way )

most Waninkoko applications are designed to do such things but from what I've seen, his code is not so bad and "generally" bug free. They SHOULDNT cause any brick unless you deliberately do something wrong.

MOST BRICKS came from people doing dangerous things and not understanding what they were doing (like deleting vital IOS or system menu files, or brutally powering the system off because they thought it took too much time...)

There are also many "guides" out there that were said as "noob proof" but they are generally written by people with limited understanding of the applications & techniques they are writing about,. They also tell you to install stuff without really telling you why or if you really need them, increasing the amount of people bricking their wii because tehy don't really understand what they are doing.

This is no "paranoia" or "anti-pirates conspiracy", bricks happen (more often than we think) but only because people are misinformed sheeps who are too lazy to learn by themselves and only want to be spoon-feeded.

So the key is LEARNING, be patient and read how stuff work first, then, like 90% of people here, you won't brick anything...

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks.

And actually the anti-wanni people (especially comex and bushing) say alot of stuff like "Have you seen how badly he codes!? It has a huge chance to just stop in the middle of an installation!"

But does anyone know if bootmii would allow you to recover from a Wanni related brick?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
QUOTE said:
And actually the anti-wanni people (especially comex and bushing) say alot of stuff like "Have you seen how badly he codes!? It has a huge chance to just stop in the middle of an installation!"

well, that's still true that bushing/marcan code is WAY MORE professionnal and quality-oriented than waninkoko ones (who is generally using code snippets he got from various people and put things together)

But they are also more experimented , everyone must starts somewhere I guess.

Sure there are a lot of things that could be done differently or more simple in waninkoko code, however I never found something that was really dangerously coded: it would probably need some additional error checks and better recovery options in case the user is doing things the wrong way but I repeat, it's just what the code is doing (messing with NAND files) that is potentially dangerous, not the way it is coded.

QUOTEBut does anyone know if bootmii would allow you to recover from a Wanni related brick?

Well, if the NAND got corrupted and you accidentally deleted Boot1 (or BootMii),there is nothing you could do, the Wii won't boot.
BootMii is intended to give you full access to the Wii BEFORE any IOS or System Menu has been loaded, which could eventually let you get ride of badly patched IOS, corrupted system menu, badly installed channels, etc... and also gives you FULL acces to both Wii cpus.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-