Hacking Official Corbenik - Another CFW for advanced users (with bytecode patches!)

Kirtai

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been thinking about the locale folder. Is it actually necessary to prepopulate it rather than defaulting to the consoles locale and requiring users to set the locale entry for any games that don't like it?
Especially since the list isn't necessarily complete.

Also, it feels a little like hand-holding ;)

Reactions: gnmmarechal

Kirtai

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
After some more thought, how about this. Instead of making it build time, have a cia or 3dsx that reads the list of titles installed on your console, pulls the file from 3dsdb (or www.gametdb.com) and then populates the folder with only the non-system titles that are installed. Or even just the out-of-region ones. That way the locale folder only holds the necessary entries and it can be updated whenever you add or remove something.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it :)

Last edited by Kirtai, , Reason: more typos
Reactions: gnmmarechal

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How is that even possible? :blink::wtf:
I carry my system everywhere, even to work. So it's bound to be hit at a lot. Looking it, it actually seems like a rather common problem as I can find several videos/threads talking about it.
It's an easy fix, I just lack a small enough screwdriver to open my system.

Kirtai

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I carry my system everywhere, even to work. So it's bound to be hit at a lot. Looking it, it actually seems like a rather common problem as I can find several videos/threads talking about it.
It's an easy fix, I just lack a small enough screwdriver to open my system.
Ah, you mean it came loose inside the 3DS. I was wondering how it could come out when it's not open :rolleyes:
If you havent opened it up before, be careful with it. The screws are easy to strip as I found to my displeasure...

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Ah, you mean it came loose inside the 3DS. I was wondering how it could come out when it's not open :rolleyes:
If you havent opened it up before, be careful with it. The screws are easy to strip as I found to my displeasure...
I found the 2DS quite easy to disassemble given the lack of a hinge and the lack of two separate displays.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking about the locale folder. Is it actually necessary to prepopulate it rather than defaulting to the consoles locale and requiring users to set the locale entry for any games that don't like it?
Especially since the list isn't necessarily complete.

Also, it feels a little like hand-holding ;)

I personally don't think it's hand holding - it's convienence. Keep in mind the locales are only generated on games that can't possibly have a false positive so the locale data provided is technically the 'correct' data to provide.

After some more thought, how about this. Instead of making it build time, have a cia or 3dsx that reads the list of titles installed on your console, pulls the file from 3dsdb (or www.gametdb.com) and then populates the folder with only the non-system titles that are installed. Or even just the out-of-region ones. That way the locale folder only holds the necessary entries and it can be updated whenever you add or remove something.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it :)

That's more effort for me. When someday I have a configuration app, maybe then. For now, it'll remain buildtime. I think you might be overthinking a bit.

I'll see if I can finetune the zip compression level since I think it's -9 that's the issue here with slow extraction. That might make people's lives less difficult.

EDIT: Nope. It's the lack of any form of write caching on the 3DS. I tried.

Is it possible to set screen init brightness to 0?

Not right now, no.

Last edited by chaoskagami,
Reactions: uyjulian

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I'll see if I can finetune the zip compression level since I think it's -9 that's the issue here with slow extraction. That might make people's lives less difficult.
Why not use other archive format like tar with gzip/xz compression or 7z, they use solid compression, so compression efficiency is increased. Zip doesn't use solid compression.

Reactions: chaoskagami

chaoskagami

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Why not use other archive format like tar with gzip/xz compression or 7z, they use solid compression, so compression efficiency is increased. Zip doesn't use solid compression.

There are no tools on the 3DS capable of unpacking anything aside from zip and rar. That's really the only reason.

Personally, I would rather use xz but everyone would hate on me for that.

Reactions: Gray_Jack

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Good news~ I spent all day fixing it, but it's fixed! I am doing some final testing to ensure it holds together, but I should be back up and running soon enough! I wrote a blog about it.

Kirtai

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I personally don't think it's hand holding - it's convienence.
Yeah, that was meant a bit tongue in cheek :)

EDIT: Nope. It's the lack of any form of write caching on the 3DS. I tried.

Not right now, no.
Another thought I had was splitting the files per region. Instead of having them all under locale, place them under locale/ALL, locale/EUR etc. Would that work?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks! I've managed to get the current version running (also thanks to a predecrypted firmware pack obtainable at another website) and really appreciate the freedom of choice in all the options...

...I've noticed the patch description feature: might be worth noting that unitinfo also breaks retail Amiibos :)

chaoskagami

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! I've managed to get the current version running (also thanks to a predecrypted firmware pack obtainable at another website) and really appreciate the freedom of choice in all the options...

...I've noticed the patch description feature: might be worth noting that unitinfo also breaks retail Amiibos :)

UNITINFO breaks everything. There's a reason why I recommend ErrDisp.

Another thought I had was splitting the files per region. Instead of having them all under locale, place them under locale/ALL, locale/EUR etc. Would that work?

Nope. Wanna know why? We introduce at least seven directory tests, since we don't know the proper region yet. That adds extra inefficiency since directory seeks already suck on FAT. If we're talking a different format, it would be easier to merge everything to one file with the format like this:

Code:
0004000000000000 JPN JA
0004000000000100 EUR FR
0004000000000200 USA EN

This has it's own set of issues, of course. Titles lower on the list will require more checks. The only "proper" solution is a database using btrees or skip lists (both of which are a pain.)

Also, I've been told off on #Cakey on write caching. The kernel does cache writes. No clue, really.

Kirtai

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nope. Wanna know why? We introduce at least seven directory tests, since we don't know the proper region yet.
Ouch, I was hoping the title would provide its region directly. Oh well.

Also, I've been told off on #Cakey on write caching. The kernel does cache writes. No clue, really.
It's probably just fat32 being horribly slow at big folders. No surprise really, many filesystems are, the 3DS' slow IO just emphasises it. :(

Last edited by Kirtai, , Reason: typo

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've started testing out skeith and have to say, there's several details I love. I love the "dim background" option. It really opened the door to tons of new themes!
So I made my own!
screenshot.png

Attachments

• gardevoir.zip
    250 KB · Views: 79

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY