Official Corbenik - Another CFW for advanced users (with bytecode patches!)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by chaoskagami, Jun 4, 2016.

1. HamBone41801

HamBone41801 Vipera’s Alt

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    a way to bypass a ban? other than the 3 big methods? well, it may be worth while then. I'd also like to hear more about this patch. hmu with a pm if you'd like.

2. JoostinOnline
    This message by JoostinOnline has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 27, 2017, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    May 27, 2017
  3. Lilith Valentine
    This message by Lilith Valentine has been removed from public view by raulpica, May 27, 2017, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    May 27, 2017
  4. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    Get the latest version of skieth.It has firm support

5. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    By that do you mean a way for those already banned to bypass it or do you mean some kind of stealth patch to prevent being detected/banned in the first place? Because while the second should be relatively easy (either make it so it doesn't send any title data even if streetpass is on make it so that only title ids on a whitelist are sent) I am not sure how you could do the first, make a patch to let people already banned play online again.

Yeah, I would like to as well. Especially if it is one for people who are already banned rather than a stealth patch to prevent a ban.

Last edited by nl255, May 27, 2017
  6. bennyman123abc

bennyman123abc GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    United States
    Some City
    It was for those already banned but, it's temperamental. It doesn't always work so, it may not be the best way if there are other ways to get around it. Out of 10 tries, I got it to work once through manual RAM editing but the friends list or any other home menu applet unloads NTR CFW so I wasn't able to test the extent of the temp-unban. I also need someone who knows bytecode to program this.

7. Gray_Jack

Gray_Jack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    There is someone getting the "Firmlaunch failed, returning to menu" error using the firm format?

8. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    Corbenik always say "WARNING: Failed to load/patch TWL (and AGB)" and refuse to boot, no matter whether I put them or not.

(Edit) NVM, it's a Slot0x11Key96 issue. It can be booted after getting the 0x11 key even still displays those warnings.

Last edited by MelonGx, Jun 4, 2017
  9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Marina is best waifu

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Jun 5, 2017
  10. chaoskagami
    OP

chaoskagami Former CFW Dev

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    I'm stopping development of Corbenik for a number of reasons. Y'all can hate on me; it is what it is. I hope you can at least understand why. The code will stay up, and anyone is welcome to fork. It's open source; I hope it has a future beyond me.

I originally started coding Corbenik because I thought CFW was neat, and given how the community projects were all open source and everyone seemed friendly, it might be fun to get involved. I also had fun initially coding the thing, working through issues, etc...but that changed over time.

With every change made to software such as arm9loaderhax, boot9strap, etc, it gets harder and harder to keep up unless you're a developer of Luma or developer directly linked to Luma. The lack of standard makes things incredibly hard on me, and frankly, I'm burnt out of dealing with issues.

In the end, I've gotten tired of the project. I've gotten tired of dealing with breakage caused by lack of standards friendly to all software. I'm currently developing a game, and I'd rather devote my time to that.

I no longer find development of Corbenik fun, sad to say. At this point, I'd rather take a step back and just stop; go back to being a normal user.

So, unless someone else continues the project, I'm done. Sorry everyone. I don't mean to let you down, but it's how it is.

Last edited by chaoskagami, Jun 5, 2017
  11. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    It was an honor to have worked with you and to have used Corbenik. I hope someone can pick up the code because the scene needs more than just Luma.
    At least we still have ReiNAND and CakesFW. Hopefully they don't fall.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Jun 5, 2017
    Elveman, 'Don, Zidapi and 13 others like this.
  12. HamBone41801

HamBone41801 Vipera’s Alt

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    no worries. someone will pick it up.

13. BARNWEY

BARNWEY Legen-wait for it-dary

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    I perfectly understand dude, it's your choice. I only hope others understand your choice...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

There is ReiNAND...

14. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    I know there's ReiNAND :P I edited my post

15. BARNWEY

BARNWEY Legen-wait for it-dary

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    Oh, okay XD.

16. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    I'd like to weigh in on this point, since I contributed to B9S. B9S chose the FIRM format for payloads because, simply put, it allowed for more flexibility while allowing easy portability for existing payloads (you just had to both specify the offset for a FIRM section and the ARM9 entrypoint as the brahma/A9LH payload offset). If your code made use of ARM11, the entrypoint ARM11 waited on changed from 0x1FFFFFF8 to 0x1FFFFFFC to bring it in line with the one used by Nintendo. In B9S 1.2, assuming your FIRM made use of B9S' screen init functionality (so this didn't even affect Luma as an example), the framebuffers were moved from FCRAM (the CakeBrah offset) to VRAM which is their proper place, and the offset is provided via argv (it's argv[1]) to all payloads to avoid future breakages in case it changes again. Nothing else. Since as far as I know Corbenik didn't make use of screen init and had it built-in, the only required change was the ARM11 entrypoint; if things stopped working it was a bug in corbenik (cache issues? we had plenty of those in older Luma with ARM9 <-> ARM11 stuff). No conspiracies with unfriendly new "standards" or anything that only Luma devs know about...

Last edited by Aurora Wright, Jun 5, 2017
    astronautlevel, 'Don, Zidapi and 6 others like this.
  17. chaoskagami
    OP

chaoskagami Former CFW Dev

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    I'm rather sure I was flushing cache beforehand, assuming libctr9 did it properly. The code on ARM11 was definitely being jumped to; the entrypoint had already been partially changed for firmlaunches, and was fully changed to 0x1FFFFFFC before any of these other issues came into play.

The firmware would properly boot when jumping to k11, but executing screen init would hang (although deinit worked.) All of this previously worked on arm9loaderhax, but somehow broke on boot9strap. It's probably either as you said, cache-related, or somehow a processor exception. I'm not sure.

I don't think I said anything about any conspiracies. TBH, I'm just tired of keeping up with random breakage. It's on my end, yes. I don't have infinite time, and unfortunately I'm only human (and thus imperfect.)

18. ctrninja

ctrninja Official GBAtemp cutie.

Jan 12, 2017
    Japan
    ARM11 Userland
    rip my corbenik ;-;

Ricken likes this.
  19. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    RIP Corbenik.

20. T3CHNOLOG1C

T3CHNOLOG1C Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2016
    United States
    Maine
    RIP Corbenik

Derek1199 likes this.
  21. Derek1199

Derek1199 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2017
    United States
    California
    Rip corbenik. It was my favorite. Sadly I can't code though, so it's not like I can continue it. It'll be up to someone else. :/

22. iAqua

iAqua

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Aww, my favorite cfw, it dies, please someone continue this.