Copying content to new SD Card

MUDD_BR

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Contragutalions to me, just get a new 400Gb SD Card to Switch and did all the copy from older 128Gb to...
Switch didn´t started it because I forgot to format fat32 (damned ExFat)...
So, now go another hour and a half, om...
Anyway, please recommend me good SD card reader as my is slow as f**k

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Contragutalions to me, just get a new 400Gb SD Card to Switch and did all the copy from older 128Gb to...
Switch didn´t started it because I forgot to format fat32 (damned ExFat)...
So, now go another hour and a half, om...
Anyway, please recommend me good SD card reader as my is slow as f**k

Congratulations on your new sd card!

It’s tough to recommend things like this without knowing what kind of ports you have available and the brand/speed of the sd card itself. You could be in a situation where it’s the PC interface or the sd card slowing your down. I use 400G Sandisk myself and they are slower than my smaller cards. The large cards are generally slower.

This one is USB-C and has some good reviews and some testers said they were getting 30G in around 8 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XSSHZ63?th=1

Hope that helps!

Reactions: MUDD_BR

MUDD_BR

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Congratulations on your new sd card!

It’s tough to recommend things like this without knowing what kind of ports you have available and the brand/speed of the sd card itself. You could be in a situation where it’s the PC interface or the sd card slowing your down. I use 400G Sandisk myself and they are slower than my smaller cards. The large cards are generally slower.

This one is USB-C and has some good reviews and some testers said they were getting 30G in around 8 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XSSHZ63?th=1

Hope that helps!
Thanks, binki. Mine is a Sandisk Ultra too, labeled 120MB/s but even on an USB 3.0 won´t surpass 30MB/s. But on normal use in the switch this won´t be much slower than my old 128Gb, right? It´s a class 10 too, don´t remember if is 100 or 120 MB/s...

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, binki. Mine is a Sandisk Ultra too, labeled 120MB/s but even on an USB 3.0 won´t surpass 30MB/s. But on normal use in the switch this won´t be much slower than my old 128Gb, right? It´s a class 10 too, don´t remember if is 100 or 120 MB/s...

I'm convinced the manufacturer's speed ratings are all made up anyway...

I just spent a lot of money on a 400G SanDisk Extreme and was really disappointed. It was a barely noticeable performance boost and I think part of it was me just not wanting to admit I wasted $80. That's when I started looking into what else could be making things slow.

1654390508627.png

It sounds like your card is good and you have USB-C. You're going to have to start trying some new readers. Buy them from somewhere that will take returns until you find one that comes close to spec. I just bought the one I liked you above. I will let you know if it's any good...

Reactions: MUDD_BR

MUDD_BR

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm convinced the manufacturer's speed ratings are all made up anyway...

I just spent a lot of money on a 400G SanDisk Extreme and was really disappointed. It was a barely noticeable performance boost and I think part of it was me just not wanting to admit I wasted $80. That's when I started looking into what else could be making things slow.

View attachment 312633

It sounds like your card is good and you have USB-C. You're going to have to start trying some new readers. Buy them from somewhere that will take returns until you find one that comes close to spec. I just bought the one I liked you above. I will let you know if it's any good...
Thanks again.... but you won´t believe in this. I´ve formated it to NTFS and not FAT32, error again, I´m so dumb lol... now formatting with guiformat, the allocation is importaqnt, can´t remmber...

• Wow
Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again.... but you won´t believe in this. I´ve formated it to NTFS and not FAT32, error again, I´m so dumb lol... now formatting with guiformat, the allocation is importaqnt, can´t remmber...

Are you using rufus or something better? These 400G disks won't format FAT32 on Windows without a 3rd party tool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat