Hacking Question Copy Emunand to Sysnand - what is needed?

veekay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the 9.0 release I'd like to update to the latest version (on 8.1).

I currently use my sysnand as my only booting option. My thinking is I'd make a new emunand copy and then restore my clean sysnand and update. After that I'd like to update the emunand to 9 and then copy that back to my sysnand so I don't have to start over.

I saw mention of the emunand not having a copy of boot0/1, so what would be the correct process to do a move?

I understand this is completely unnecessary at this point since nothing needs 9, but I'd rather go ahead and get things out of the way so I will be set for future updates.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are only interested in updating, why not just use ChoiDujourNX to manually update? Specifically because currently making a backup of emuMMC that will work to restore to sysMMC is not very easily and has a lot of dumb things you have to work around due to hekate not having the ability currently to do dumps/restores of emuMMC

veekay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are only interested in updating, why not just use ChoiDujourNX to manually update? Specifically because currently making a backup of emuMMC that will work to restore to sysMMC is not very easily and has a lot of dumb things you have to work around due to hekate not having the ability currently to do dumps/restores of emuMMC

I really don't want to have to use Autorcm. As to the last point, I am still unsure why that ability isn't part of hekate - something I didn't like when I did try using the emunand option.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well no matter what if you don't want to burn fuses, you'll need to always boot with hekate (or whatever bootloader you prefer). So if you don't want to keep autorcm on, just have it one while you do the update, and after that you can uninstall autorcm from hekate. But then you'll have the chance of accidentally burning fuses if you ever boot the console normally on accident, which is as easy as accidentally grabbing the switch wrong when pulling it from the dock causing the power button to press if it was off.

veekay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't need to worry about burning the fuses with the method I mentioned since I will be updating officially - just need to be able to restore the emunand to sys correctly afterwards.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't need to worry about burning the fuses with the method I mentioned since I will be updating officially - just need to be able to restore the emunand to sys correctly afterwards.
updating official still burns fuses if you boot into sysNAND without using a bootloader. So if you ever boot the system normally after the update, fuses will burn. Fuses aren't burned on update, they are burned at boot. It's the reason ChoiDujourNX installs autorcm. If you want to not burn fuses, you can never boot the system without hekate or atmosphere (or whatever bootloader you want to use)

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

veekay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware - the plan is to burn the fuses, but at the same thing making a new clean sysnand backup. Part of the whole reason of needing to go through the hoops of restore an emunand copy after this is done.

sys to emu back -> restore clean 8.1 sys -> upgrade sys to 9 -> upgrade emu to 9 -> restore emu to sys

That was I don't have to reinstall everything and can still end up with a clean sysnand backup for down the road.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you're going about this the wrong way. Is there a reason you don't want to use emuNAND on a regular basis?

I would recommend: sys to emu back -> restore clean 8.1 sys -> upgrade sys to 9 -> upgrade emu to 9 -> keep sysnand clean, let emunand be dirty

veekay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started off with emunand, but just didn't ultimately see the point.

There are less points for failure on the sysnand and I run my own 90dns (and only connect to the router hosting it) so in theory shouldn't have to worry about a ban. If down the road I change my mind on things then I can restore a clean nand and should be good to go.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, well in that case I really don't see the point in you using emunand for what you're trying to accomplish.
Backup dirty system -> Restore clean sys backup -> upgrade sys to 9 -> Make new clean sys backup -> Restore dirty backup -> Upgrade to 9 again but with ChoiDujourNX.

No need for emunand. And don't get me wrong, I'm not sure about SX emunand, but if you make one for Atmosphere with BOOT0+BOOT1+NAND, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to figure out the proper offsets to read the emuNAND back off your card and restore it like any other nand backup in Hekate. But it would be a bunch of extra work for no gain.

veekay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't upgrading to 9 prevent me from restoring the dirty 8.1 backup though because of fuses being burned in the process?

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you can restore your dirty backup just fine. And since I'm assuming you're using CFW with your dirty nand (that's kind of the definition isn't it?) you should be able to boot it just fine (CFW bypasses fuse checks.)

One other thing, a NAND with a mismatched BOOT0 and/or BOOT1 could cause your backup not to boot, so when you make and restore your backups, make sure to backup and restore BOOT0 and BOOT1 too!

veekay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, wasn't thinking about bypassing the count with the CFW. That will end up being much easier then.

Just have to decide if it is worth losing access to some old homebrew that won't be updated.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not, since you're using 90DNS on a dirty sysnand, I assume you don't play online? In that case, there's literally no reason to update right now. But even if you did, the current version of Atmosphere has an hid-mitm that will take care of that for now. I'm not sure what particular pieces of homebrew you're talking about, but a lot of them have already been updated, or you could even download the sources off of GitHub and re-compile them yourself (it's not really that hard, I don't think you need actual coding experience for it.)

veekay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far Fire Emblem requires 9.0 for the current DLC and any going forward, not sure what others might follow like that.

The main piece I use if an older version of Tinfoil that works great with Fluffy

veekay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news is that everything worked perfectly - bad news is that somehow my main sd card is now dead.

Really regret not making a full backup now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @CameronCataclysm...