Cool MMO game name?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by CIAwesome526, May 13, 2015.

1. CIAwesome526
    OP

CIAwesome526 Im ugly and im proud

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    Im thinking og attempting to get some sort of MMO game started, maybe. I Dont need to hear about how hard it would be, or that its a silly idea, or whatever. all i want is a cool MMO name that hasnt been used yet, and if i choose yours, your name will definitely end up in the games credits.

2. Smellyfinger

Smellyfinger Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2015
    United States
    Massive Splooge

3. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    I guess the title kinda depends on what kind of MMO you want to make.

4. CIAwesome526
    OP

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    yeah, i should fix it if i have time, i am using my friends account, and have to leave soon (im on his computer).

5. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    Name it C.O.P. The Recruit, never been done before. Or what Tomato said, see what the game will be about before naming it.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  6. CIAwesome526
    OP

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    well i was thinking, since i am a fan of WoW (my game wont be that big anytime soon, tho), and all the peepz say its gonna die, and i want to maaybe create a game similar in style to that, but with a different story, and different characters.

7. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Quest for Kingdoms
    Of Bravery and Brute
    Force of Men
    Demon Corps
    Lord of Dragons
    Blades Online
    Kingdoms of Earth
    Goblin Rebellion
    Wars of the Shadows
    War: A Strategy Tale

8. CIAwesome526
    OP

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    I like Wars of the Shadows, but i still dont know i will wait for more responses, but as of now, ill go with Wars of the Shadows.

9. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Sure take all the time you want and pick any name you like

10. CIAwesome526
    OP

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    also, does anyone have some programming experience or something and want to help me? i have some experience with modeling and story writing, i can program a little, but my programming skill in my opinion still has room for improvement, and i am working hard to become better, but even with great programming skill, it would be hard and add years to the process if i was doing this alone. Anyone who works on the ream would become an administrator, or moderator (if you didnt do too much work), and have their name in the credits (again, unless you didnt do any work). I am also starting a kickstarter to fund it once i choose a name. How much should i ask for? and who would be interested in joining the team?

11. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Cost depends on a lot of things like how good for the graphics, what engine you use, cost of devs (they will want a small cut), advertising, costs of servers.
    It easily could be from a few hundred to Millions

Also check atavism

12. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    I'm somewhat good at 3D modelling in Metasequoia, and I'm currently learning C#, but I'm also working on my own project right now. (Not giving out details until I can give a demo of the main character walking around in a small-ish area, at least.) But I'll give you some tips: Make sure you have at least a tiny demo of the game before you begin on a Kickstarter. That's exactly what I plan on doing for my project first, (excluding the Kickstarter part) and then I'll ask for help or to form a team later.

13. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Well a good demo costs money as you need a concept artist, engine (some engines are free or have demos), and a good planner for the money and who can run campaign.

14. CIAwesome526
    OP

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region

15. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I might be interested but only if there are more interested people. I have experience with a bunch of different languages to varying degrees.

I've seen MMO projects come and go over the years and I know you said you don't need to hear about how hard it would be, but I doubt you realize how massive of a project it is. You not only have to develop a complex engine that's relatively bug free, but you need to create a massive game world and provide new content on a regular basis. That's why at the very least a handful of people are needed to create such a thing and keep adding new content.

I've tried to create similar things on my own before and I quickly abandoned it once I fully realized that it would be near impossible for a mere mortal to accomplish on his own. I don't want to put a lot of time into something like this only for it to be abandoned later because of those reasons, that's why.

16. CIAwesome526
    OP

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    I understand, thats why i ask for a team. i expect this to take several years of work.

17. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    For engine atavism is an mmo creator that uses unity and cost 70 bucks but hero engine looks interesting.

Cost of devs will want something more upfront but if you get it to be of a community then you can get I t at a discount.

Advertising, ya know contacting gaming sites for coverage, getting reviews, and using social media. (I'm no expert but I would love to help)

Costs of servers really depend on how big you want it I'd say at least 200k plus (renting from a high scale company might be cheaper though)

Well we need concept art anda demo first but its just server costs make it ultra expensive. Have you thought of another type of game like open world?

Last edited by Depravo, Jun 20, 2015
  18. CIAwesome526
    OP

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    200K for servers or total? anyway, if you want to help feel free. if you want pay though, you will need to wait for the crowdfunding to end.

well, i like playing MMOs and i feel like this would be a fun project, and i like modeling (although it often seems tedious), people also say programming is fun, and i would love to become great at it. Kickstarter also never says when it needs to be compleed, just that it does. i have also always been interested in stuff such as GM Island and Programmer Isle in WoW, and i feel like making secrets would be fun, i have also always had an obsession with wanting to create game, and with the right team, it can be done. And creating a world and story also seems like it might be fun. I may start with something smaller, but i definitely want to end in an MMO.

19. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Just for servers. I really don't need cash all I want is for you to a) include my name in credits as something and b) I'm a Jr in his and would like you to help me with college by writing a letter and help me use it for admission

Yeah we just need to work on demos until we are ready for a campaign and also help get some figures on server costs

20. Dragaan

Dragaan GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2015
    United States
    California
    i'm not 100% sure if this is where you want to be looking for rec letters...
    and op's gonna have a hell of a time divvying up whatever crowdfunding he can manage to get