Hacking Converting saves from commercial cart

vandergus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been able to rip some saves from my ds carts using epinator. I don't have a slot-2 flash cart so I saved them to the SRAM in a GBA game cart I had lying around. Now I have a bunch of 64 kB .sav files but I don't know how to get them to load on my R4. I tried just a straight rename but it said the file was corrupted when I tried to launch the game. I tried converting it with the R4 save converter but there's no option for save files from a commercial cart. I tried converting it using the EZFlash option but ended up with an empty save file.

It seems like there is a simple solution but I just can't find it. Can anybody help me out?

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Using the R4 save converter, try using the "All Files (*.*)" option. I think that works for the 64K saves.

BTW, I didn't know eepinator could work that way yet. Thanks for the info.

vandergus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No Luck :'( . Maybe there's something else wrong with the save file.

Here's the author's thread regarding this software in case anyone else is interested.

vandergus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@-EX-

Right. Wasn't sure if it was another acronym or something.

I opened up my .sav files (preconversion) in a text editor and there's nothing in there. Ther must be something else going on. I'll have to play around with how I'm dumping the saves a bit more I guess.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No Luck :'( . Maybe there's something else wrong with the save file.

Here's the author's thread regarding this software in case anyone else is interested.

It's possible that the actual save file for the game you are trying to rip from is larger than 64K, so the SRAM method won't work. Maybe check the save type in the rom list.

I've used the R4 converter on 64K saves collected with Reinmoon, so you might have an incomplete save file. Try using a hex editor to fill in the remaining space, like -EX- is suggesting.

vandergus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eepinatorgives an error if the save you're trying to get is larger than 64K. I'll go get a hex editor and see what I can do with the saves. I haven't messed around with save files much so I'm kind of learning as I go.

Thanks for the help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1