Hacking Converting RGH to retail Japanese console

lisreal2401

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is probably nonsense to everyone but!

I found out awhile ago the 00000000x (insert NTSC-U/J/PAL) flag in your keyvault is not signed, and can be changed then booted on a normal dashboard. I have no clue is this is true now, but ideally, I want to make this Jasper I have a Live safe console running legit (flashed) but with NTSC-J.

Would it be as trivial as changing the KV to a Japanese flag and gut the chip? I also know that changing a KV makes it bootable only on a hacked system - this get patched later on or was it always on you booting a hacked system first?

Last edited by lisreal2401,

lisreal2401

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my own time I figured out you can absolutely do this, but going on XBL might be a bad idea due to serial number/region not matching. Is there any identifier that would denote this assuming said console never connected?

Dump current nand edit KV to NTSC J region flag, convert nand to retail, flash and kill the power from the RGH - cheaper than purchasing a retail NTSC J.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DinohScene is probably right. I know they'll backup the console-specific id in a database at the factory. region is probably part of the id somewhere. I know a little about that sort of thing with the ps3 but almost nothing with the 360, so I could be totally wrong.

lisreal2401

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't once I did more reading.

Sometime during... 6717 a check was added to detect this change in KV - it will just give you some christmas lights, so... rip that idea.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's an app to change game region. I don't think it's its primary function. however, the irony is that the game can't be played on anything but a jtag/rgh, so it's pretty useless. I can't recall the app name, but I think it's something I came across when all I had was a flashed system. I'm a big shmup fan of those treasure, cave, and milestone games. I think some were jp only, which is why I looked that up many years ago.

lisreal2401

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news.

I found a Xenon with four RROD (no av cable) plugged in for 1000 yen and fingers crossed it's not for real fucked. I'm fully aware I might end up with a paperweight, but for that price, hoping it can live with light use.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way i ventured into this for fun. It can be done until a certain point. Later dashboards use kv type 2 which is hashed (RGH just doesnt give a crap about this and works regardless). It will not allow you to do tampering. I ended up with christmas lights on a xenon that i decided to temporarily rgh for funs and giggles. If your nand is a kv type 1 go to town my friend. lol. However this is moot if you get a new kv.bin it seems.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,
Reactions: DanielTaylorHagg

You may also like...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3N1 @ K3N1: https://youtube.com/shorts/5_yMwLMHhjc?feature=share