Converting n64 codes to switch code

Manu10MGG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi! I have a question can i convert n64 codes for the nintendo switch online mod i want to miodifiy my switch online n64 pack with cave database manager but i have no clue so i wonder if its possible to do it?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If a system is being emulated (like this will be) then in the vast vast vast majority of cases (the exceptions being technical ones I don't think I have seen in the wild*) the emulated system's memory will be a section of memory within the emulator's memory.
If you are lucky this will be a fixed location, in which case you will typically be adding a value to the original cheat's memory location memory (cheats being a code type, where to to put it in memory and what to put there, along with any options that a more advanced code type might have) and finding the equivalent code type** ( https://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_n64.html if you needed a reference there, if that link is down in the future do a search for enhacklopedia).
For the Switch then you might find the emulated system's memory varies in location between boots (from a performance perspective a fixed location is better, and ASLR is really hard to do well -- there is a reason even on the 360 that homebrew devs had a fixed window of unencrypted memory for emulator purposes) but that will hopefully be in line with any other pointer code you have to make.

*this will be things like those emulators that have Lua scripts running on top of them, things that do certain aspects as separate code (seen a few commercial ones for arcade stuff do this for music), or emulators getting a bit more creative on the dynamic recompilation and taking it out of the hands (not seen this yet but it remains a possibility, especially if they start doing things like adding challenge modes/trophments to old games).

**truly old systems might not have the breadth of code types as later ones, and sometimes first gen cheat engines for a newly hacked device might be limited to basic types rather than the full list of options a late stage effort on an earlier device might have (usually in conditionals, those being if this then do that, and exotic boolean and bitwise logic offerings, those being AND/NAND/OR/NOR/XOR/logical shift/logical rotate/ceiling/floor and such like). This might force a bit more creativity in making a matching code or a limitation until the engine catches up.

Do also note that classically there are two families of code types, plus save editors.
1) Game genie aka ROM cheats and apparently assembly cheats in modern parlance. Being a patch for the ROM you can easily patch these onto the ROM itself and inject that back in. They are however harder to make as you are going in for ROM editing and have to understand the data/code you are editing***.
2) Memory chats, this is what your action replay, gameshark, codebreaker, pelican, goldfinger (what you will usually find the Chinese calling these sorts of cheats) and so forth that most are probably familiar with. Finding them is easy enough ( https://web.archive.org/web/20080309104350/http://etk.scener.org/?op=tutorial being my usual guide to making memory cheats, though you can learn some more stuff like how to make things quicker -- if I want 255 end game swords in my inventory I don't do the epic end game sidequest to maybe get the one, I get infinite first shop daggers and then figure out whether the game is an identifier based approach aka you have 156 of item 2f or location based aka bit 2 through 5 corresponds to the amount of this item).

***the following is actually quite clear on how basic conversion is done, though your modern breakpoints/watchpoints in debuggers are far nicer to deal with and give lots more good info.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/crackers-ds-trainer-maker-tutorial.44410/ for the DS but a more advanced version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...