Convert NDS File to MIDI?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Espeon, May 14, 2014.

1. Espeon
    OP

Espeon Newbie

Newcomer
    May 14, 2014
    I'm trying to turn mp3, wav, or sdat files into MIDI. I have explored several programs, like VGMtrans, Amazing MIDI and WIDI (which, while working perfectly, cost £170 :angry:) but none of them have worked. I can get the particular music in .NDS, .mp3, .wav, and .sdat. I understand that a regular sound file to MIDI is a big leap, and I would really appreciate any help. I know that MIDIs can be ripped from .GBA files, so I know it can be done.

2. GHANMI

GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2012
    nds = Nintendo DS game dump
    midi = a music spreadsheet
    Not "convert" but "rip".
    And you can check Tinke. You extract the sdat, and then that file can be opened in VGMTrans and converted to midi (containing the musical notes) and dls (for the instruments).

3. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Easiest answer: You can't. MIDI files are sequenced files, while MP3 and WAV and whatnot are streamed waveforms. The closest you can possibly do is re-creating the song in a sequenced form by analysing the song and reproducing it by ear.

SDAT, on the other hand, will work in VGMtrans provided the game uses .SSEQ audio, which is Nintendo's proprietary format.

That's because GBA audio is sequenced, not streamed.

4. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    Just as an interesting side note, there are some GBA games, and several romhacks/fan translations, which do use sequenced audio. I remember someone on romhacking dot net explaining how to get a wav working in a GBA game at a pretty low filesize and all the other jargon, some years back :o

5. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    I think Maxmod supports streaming as well, although I can't remember exactly. Also, the GBA GAX Sound engine apparently has a really good stream compression algorithm, stuffing an hour of talk into less than 4MB. I don't think any games use it though.

Celice likes this.
  6. Espeon
    OP

Espeon Newbie

Newcomer
    May 14, 2014
    Ok, thanks. But what is 'Tinke'?

7. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
  8. Espeon
    OP

Espeon Newbie

Newcomer
    May 14, 2014
    I'm looking at Tinke, but the only sound files available are .smd and .swd. Do you know if I can convert these directly to midi?