Controller grip/order

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by markmcrobie, Apr 24, 2017.

1. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    Do you need to go into this setting every time you switch between holding a joycon horizontally and clipping them into the grip? I assume it doesn't sense this change automatically?

Thanks

2. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    Yes, it's necessary, the standard grip doesn't make contact with the joycons communication(it's only a pair of rails). And while the charging grip actually have contacts on rails and some components to help the charger, it also doesn't make the console be aware that you are using a grip.

markmcrobie likes this.
  3. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Why couldn't they have made it more straightforward? Like anywhere in the Switch OS (and supporting games) you just hold the shoulder buttons for three seconds and it Switches.

4. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    That wouldnt work.
    What if the game used the shoulder buttons and you held them.

Its pretty easy to switch tho.
    Way easier then pairing wii motes

5. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    The grips that give it a traditional-feel are my favourite but I'll never use only one Joy-Con to ever play a game so it's redundant for me. But anyway, the bare Joy-Con is usable without the bundled grip, though without it it might feel harder to press the buttons.

6. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I said the OS and supporting games. Obviously it won't work in games that need the shoulder buttons, but there is no reason why you can't switch whenever you want while in the home, settings, eShop, etc.

7. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Long press the home button brings up the menu where you can get to the grip order.
    Should be long press home. Down A