[control] mario 64 ds

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Cortexfou, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Cortexfou
    OP

Cortexfou GBAtemp Regular

Apr 14, 2016
    Belgium
    Hi,
    I think someone already ask that but it's old so I ask again if there are some update.
    Is it possible to optimise the control in mario 64 DS with the 3DS (like ananog control) ?
    Thanks

2. SirAileron

SirAileron Seeker of Truths

Aug 7, 2008
    United States
    Over your shoulder
    Not unless somehow someone changes how NTR mode reads the circle pad, which is as a d-pad. I would kill for a mod like that, though.

lordkaos likes this.
  3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    It is impossible for a DS or DSi commercial game to read the analog stick

However there is an "analog stick" patch for Mario 64: the game still only receives 4-arrow input but it's interpolated to be "better"

4. Cortexfou
    OP

Apr 14, 2016
    Belgium
    I suspected that, it's sad. I thought of another thing : do the reverse that what does the game. you must maintain a key to run but can we do the opposite? In other words, maintain a key to walk ? It will help a little and it will be more pleasant I find because we run more than we walk in this game. Is it possible to do that mod on the rom ?

5. Marko76
    This message by Marko76 has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Aug 8, 2017.
    Aug 8, 2017
  6. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    Spain
    Yoshi's Island
    It should be doable. One could modify the twlfirm to write the analog stick axes to some ram address and then patch the game to use those values. The game already have touch controls, so maybe one could fake the analog stick as a bottom screen press.

7. Cortexfou
    OP

Apr 14, 2016
    Belgium
    I found, on the mario 64 ds star world project, a control test rom where the character always run and to walk, you need to press X (Y is the view, A is jum and B punch) so it's possible. How can I do that on a normal mario 64 ds (E) rom ?

8. SpeedxxGaming

SpeedxxGaming Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2017
    If you're talking about playing this on a 3DS (Which is what I'm assuming) the game has circle pad inputs, even to the point of different thresholds (How far the analog stick is being moved) for different walking speeds. Nintendo, at the time, didn't think about one of their handholds having both analog input as well as DS backwards compatability which is why there is no way of bypassing the need to use the run button.

9. Cortexfou
    OP

Apr 14, 2016
    Belgium
    How about a mod to always run and walk with the buton ? How can I do that ?

10. SpeedxxGaming

SpeedxxGaming Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2017
    I don't think it's possible. You would need to change the ROM code in some way to swap the function of the button and the default movement animations etc.

11. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    In the download of that very hack there are 2 versions, the "vanilla" one just changes the controls, the other one has other mods (character hat cubes, all characters mostly play as Mario, etc)

12. Oleboy555

Oleboy555 Wie dit leest is een zemmel

Feb 8, 2017
    Netherlands
    Amsterdam
    maybe @Skelux knows more about this topic

13. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Is there a way to mod the circle pad to emulate the touch screen to an extent? Hard to explain.

14. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    It's probably possible, but significant patching of twlfirm would need to be done

While the skills involved are rather different, consider the fact nobody released a "1:1 resolution by default" patch which would just be a matter of reversing a condtion... while faking drag and drop would mean actually writing original code

Memoir likes this.
  15. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    It would make a lot more sense than trying to force (and fail) a game, that had no analog support, to read the circle pad. Hm. Dunno.

16. Skelux

Skelux Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2009
  17. AtlasFontaine

AtlasFontaine GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 18, 2015
    Venezuela
    Venezuela-Zulia.
    Does that analog patch works with the 3ds circle pad? or is it only compatible using emulator on PC?

18. Skelux

Skelux Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2009
    PC only, from what I've seen the analog data doesn't carry on into DS mode, it would need some firmware hacking.

19. Cortexfou
    OP

Apr 14, 2016
    Belgium
    I know. I made a review of your control patch on the 3DS (my name is bafomdad on origami64)

20. Cortexfou
    OP

Apr 14, 2016
    Belgium
    And on the drastic emulator for android, is it possible to make analog control ?

21. Zabhahs

Zabhahs Goron

Sep 20, 2015
    United States
    Seattle area
    @Skelux just found this thread, the controls test for star world was removed from media fire. Im happy to wait for star world tho, looking good so far :yay: