Hacking Considering DIOS MIOS, but everything I've read has left me confused.

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last week I updated my old softmod with mauifrog's "Softmod ANY Wii" guide. I'm kind of a noob, and anything I learned a few years back is pretty much gone. I just started messing with softmodding again because I got super excited after learning that I could finally play Gamecube backups from a USB Loader.

So I downloaded Cleanrip and Devolution and everything was going pretty smooth until a few days ago. It's not a problem with the programs, it's more an issue with some of my discs. Some games wouldn't fully install, so I found the .iso's, dropped them in the games folder and was able to verify it using the discs. But (apparently) some of my disc's are in bad shape, because I couldn't get them to verify.

So that brings me here. In the last few days I've considered installing DIOS MIOS. I started reading whatever I could find on it, but it's only left me confused, and worried about how it could effect my Wii.

I don't know where to begin so I'm just gonna start listing questions (and concerns) as they come to me...

-1.) I've read that DIOS MIOS removes the ability to play retail gamecube discs. Now, I'm not too concerned about this because I have Devolution and usbloader GX, so I'm able to play almost all the games currently on my HDD. But what if I buy more games in the future and want to rip them? Will I lose the ability to rip retail discs in the future?

-2.) Originally I was using Cleanrip to rip my games. Now I just use usbloader GX because it seems simpler and it drops them right into the games folder without me having to go to my PC and move files around. Are there any benefits to using one over the other? Does one create a better quality rip than the other?

-3.)I've heard that DIOS MIOS has compatibility issues with some games. Will having it installed affect how other programs run? Like lets say that there's a specific game that DM doesn't handle well. And I start up a loader that's not setup for DM, will DM still affect the Wii in such a way that it renders that game unplayable regardless of what loader I use to run it?

-4.) What is the most up to date version of DIOS MIOS?
*EDIT* so far I found ver 2.9. I'm pretty sure that one's the most current (as of Apr. 06, 2013)

-5.) Is there an idiot proof guide on how to install DIOS MIOS?
*EDIT* Found one! But I still don't want to install anything until I have a better understanding of how it'll effect my Wii.

That's all I could think of.. :P

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Diosmios replaces your Mios.
basicly you are replacing your BC functionality to allow your Wii load Gamecube games fom HDD.

If you ever want ot go back, you can just reinstalla clean MIOS.
Nothing fancy nothing complicated at all
Install DM with Wadmanager of choice.

Reactions: portugeek

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-1.) I've read that DIOS MIOS removes the ability to play retail gamecube discs. Now, I'm not too concerned about this because I have Devolution and usbloader GX, so I'm able to play almost all the games currently on my HDD. But what if I buy more games in the future and want to rip them? Will I lose the ability to rip retail discs in the future?

No, you can still use retail discs after installing DIOS MIOS. You might have to launch them through your usbloader, but I'm not sure about that. Shouldn't affect ripping one bit.

-2.) Originally I was using Cleanrip to rip my games. Now I just use usbloader GX because it seems simpler and it drops them right into the games folder without me having to go to my PC and move files around. Are there any benefits to using one over the other? Does one create a better quality rip than the other?

I don't know. I just use CFG loader to rip and haven't had problems, so I assume GX should do it fine as well.

-3.)I've heard that DIOS MIOS has compatibility issues with some games. Will having it installed affect how other programs run? Like lets say that there's a specific game that DM doesn't handle well. And I start up a loader that's not setup for DM, will DM still affect the Wii in such a way that it renders that game unplayable regardless of what loader I use to run it?

DIOS MIOS replaces the Wii's own MIOS which is how it plays GC games. If whatever you're trying to use needs MIOS or a custom MIOS, installing DIOS MIOS will affect it. Nothing running as a Wii will be affected, and Devolution won't be affected, beyond that, dunno.

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't use an ios it uses a moddified mios. If you follow the Dios Mios guide, you really shouldn't have any issue with getting it to work.

I was confused. When Wad Manager asked me to choose an ios, I didn't know that what it was actually asking me was "Which ios do you want the manager to run on while it's installing the DIOS MIOS wad?" I'm a noob.. but I learn fast. :P

I ended up choosing ios236.. but now I'm hearing that I should've ran ios249 because it would've made uninstalling dios mios less of a problem. I'm not exactly sure why that is though. If I were to go and reinstall the wad using using ios249 would it improve the compatibility of DM?

As far as my progress. (If anyone's curious) All the games are going to black screen after the DIOS MIOS screen. I'm currently backing everything up so that I can reformat my drive with 32kb clusters the right way. I did a bunch of stuff with EaseUS Partition Master so that I could try to avoid this time consuming step but it didn't work out. At some point I had merged two fat32 partitions, both with 32kb clusters.. assuming that since both were the same format that merging them wouldn't change anything.. I was wrong.. it ended up giving me 64kb clusters for the entire drive.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Ripping with CleanRip doesn't go through the MIOS or anything, it uses a stock Nintendo IOS58 and HW_AHBPROT to access the drive directly. That's why it's called CleanRip, it doesn't use any custom IOSes or anything which makes it much more stable and not vulnerable to cIOS bugs which caused many dual layer dumps to be bad dumps.

Reactions: portugeek

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I formatted the harddrive, transferred all the game files over, and DIOS MIOS works perfectly!! :) I'm actually pretty excited about it.

When I first got Devolution working I was super stoked. But, as I found out last night, it's AP makes the whole program a lot more of a chore than it needs to be. When I transferred all my games over to the 2nd harddrive, I transferred everything as is, dragging all the files and folders at once maintaining the original file structure. Well apparently, moving ANYTHING, messes with devolutions verified files. So now I have to reinsert my 55+ discs to re-verify everything. It's not that I can't, because I keep all my games, it's the fact that you'd think I wouldn't have to again. It's a time consuming step that doesn't seem needed.

I don't know if there's any other issues with DIOS MIOS besides it's inability to correctly play sound streaming games. But for me personally I'd call it the winner of these two programs for two reasons. No AP, and the ability to soft reset out of games. Unless there's a way I can soft reset out of games using Devolution that I just don't know about.

Either way, my whole experience with this AP matter makes me question it's purpose. If there was any console that needed this protection, it was the Wii not the Gamecube. Especially this late in the game. The majority of GC games you'll find now are going to be through a used purchases, which obviously doesn't help the developer. Even if you managed to find New copies of these games, at this point they've already been paid for, so the developer won't see any of that money either. Add to that the fact that there's already ways to play GC games w/o protection, seems like this is a "pointless battle to fight." Which is exactly what I've heard others say when it comes to debating about the AP issue. :P

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With Devolution if you press reset it resets your gamecube game. If your press power (quick tap) it will soft reset you out of the game and back to your loader or whatever depending on how you are setup.

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With Devolution if you press reset it resets your gamecube game. If your press power (quick tap) it will soft reset you out of the game and back to your loader or whatever depending on how you are setup.
Yeah, I've done that (quick tap) method... but you still have to be close enough to the Wii to press the power button. DIOS MIOS soft resets through the controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol our trash can decided to go flying and flipped on its side