MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dex Antares said:
I'm satisfied with my M3 DS Real's performance, especially since updating to Sakura, but I have a complaint: The plastic casing is absolutely awful. I got mine some time around Christmas 2007, and it's pretty much disintegrated. I actually removed a few piece of excess plastic, and it still holds together, but there's a huge crack near the SD slot that has me very worried. While we're on the subject, does anybody have any advice for fixing any of this?
As long as you baby your M3 Real, you won't have any problems with it. If you do manage to mangle it somehow, tape is your best friend.
tongue.gif
That, or somehow relocate the card's contents to a modified DS card casing, if you have the time/skill to modify one yourself, or just buy a new M3 Real.

Dex Antares

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
Dex Antares said:
I'm satisfied with my M3 DS Real's performance, especially since updating to Sakura, but I have a complaint: The plastic casing is absolutely awful. I got mine some time around Christmas 2007, and it's pretty much disintegrated. I actually removed a few piece of excess plastic, and it still holds together, but there's a huge crack near the SD slot that has me very worried. While we're on the subject, does anybody have any advice for fixing any of this?
As long as you baby your M3 Real, you won't have any problems with it. If you do manage to mangle it somehow, tape is your best friend.
tongue.gif
That, or somehow relocate the card's contents to a modified DS card casing, if you have the time/skill to modify one yourself, or just buy a new M3 Real.

I had considered getting a junk DS cart to cannibalize, but I'm worried about opening up my M3. By the way, I totally did "baby" it... the thing's just made of inferior plastic. I had a friend once who had an R4. THAT was a well put-together little chunk of tech. Is it possible to just put an M3 Real's SD car dinto one of those and carry on as usual? That being said, if I do decide to get a new M3, or even an R4, where should I look for JUST the cartridge adapter? I mean, do they even sell *just* the cartridge?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure how yours "disintegrated"
I got it a few months after you and its been fine, no problems with the casing

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dex Antares said:
Skyline969 said:
Dex Antares said:
tongue.gif

I had considered getting a junk DS cart to cannibalize, but I'm worried about opening up my M3. By the way, I totally did "baby" it... the thing's just made of inferior plastic. I had a friend once who had an R4. THAT was a well put-together little chunk of tech. Is it possible to just put an M3 Real's SD car dinto one of those and carry on as usual? That being said, if I do decide to get a new M3, or even an R4, where should I look for JUST the cartridge adapter? I mean, do they even sell *just* the cartridge?
Do yourself a favor and don't go for the obsolete waste of plastic called the R4. It's outdated. I don't think it's possible to get just the M3 Real, mind you. I think you have to get it with at least the rumble pack, which is kinda stupid in my opinion. However, no, you couldn't put the SD card from your M3 Real into an R4 and go. You'd have to change firmwares as Sakura only loads in an M3 Real.

As for opening your M3 Real, as long as you're gentle with the clips you won't have any problems. Look under the sticker too - I heard there's a small screw underneath it which can screw you over (no pun intended) if you're not careful.

Dex Antares

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:

Dead.

It's completely fucking dead now.

PIECE of the plastic FELL. OFF.

And now the SD card won't fucking read.

Contrary to what it seems, I DID "baby" my M3. I treat all my devices VERY well, but the plastic just snapped and cracked like a cheap piece of junk. I have no idea why...

Alright. I need to replace the damn thing now. Any advice?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dex Antares said:
Joe88 said:

Dead.

Contrary to what it seems, I DID "baby" my M3. I treat all my devices VERY well, but the plastic just snapped and cracked like a cheap piece of junk. I have no idea why...

Well, you could try to re-house the insides of the card, if they're still left. You'd have to modify a DS game card though... if that would work at all. If it worked, you'd go down in history as the first person to successfully do it.
tongue.gif

Dex Antares

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
Dex Antares said:
Joe88 said:

Dead.

Well, you could try to re-house the insides of the card, if they're still left. You'd have to modify a DS game card though... if that would work at all. If it worked, you'd go down in history as the first person to successfully do it.
tongue.gif

Break out the history books, kids. I've got an amendment to make
tongue.gif

Well... good news and bad news. The good news:

With nothing more than a sharp box cutter and a copy of Alex Rider: Stormchaser, I DID manage to modify an existing DS cartridge casing to fit an M3's motherboard.

Now the bad news.

I think my M3 is fried. I don't know what's going on. The Micro SD card still works when I put it in the USB adapter. Everything's fine. I tried it in my friend's identical M3, and it didn't load. His M3 with his card loads in both his DS and my DS Lite. A normal game works in both DS's too. For some reason, it's just my M3s motherboard that doesn't work. I'm going to try reinstalling my firmware, see if that helps. If not... any suggestions?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dex Antares said:
Skyline969 said:
Dex Antares said:
Joe88 said:

Dead.

tongue.gif

tongue.gif

With nothing more than a sharp box cutter and a copy of Alex Rider: Stormchaser, I DID manage to modify an existing DS cartridge casing to fit an M3's motherboard.

Now the bad news.

I think my M3 is fried. I don't know what's going on. The Micro SD card still works when I put it in the USB adapter. Everything's fine. I tried it in my friend's identical M3, and it didn't load. His M3 with his card loads in both his DS and my DS Lite. A normal game works in both DS's too. For some reason, it's just my M3s motherboard that doesn't work. I'm going to try reinstalling my firmware, see if that helps. If not... any suggestions?
That could be your problem. The SD card could be fried. Try with your friend's SD card in your M3 and see if it works. If not, then your M3 could be dead.

Dex Antares

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
Dex Antares said:
Skyline969 said:
Dex Antares said:
Joe88 said:

Dead.

tongue.gif

tongue.gif

Now the bad news.

That could be your problem. The SD card could be fried. Try with your friend's SD card in your M3 and see if it works. If not, then your M3 could be dead.

Yeah, already ran a battery of tests. My M3 is fried. Memory on the SD card is intact, but the M3 itself is a lost cause. Ah, well. The physical part of the casing transplant was a success, which is good. But now I need to buy a new M3, period. Has the Team released the side-loader version yet? Does anybody have one? Is the plastic any better?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dex Antares said:
Yeah, already ran a battery of tests. My M3 is fried. Memory on the SD card is intact, but the M3 itself is a lost cause. Ah, well. The physical part of the casing transplant was a success, which is good. But now I need to buy a new M3, period. Has the Team released the side-loader version yet? Does anybody have one? Is the plastic any better?
The side-loading SD card slot M3 Reals are available to EU/NA people now. Apparently they have better plastic, but I don't have one.
As an unexpected test for the M3 Real's durability, my DS Lite fell out of my pocket while I was running and smashed against pavement/gravel. Other than the M3 Real popping halfway out of the DS Lite, it was perfectly ok. Now I wanna get a guard mask to cover up the scratches and chips left on my DS Lite....

Mikef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The side-loading SD card slot M3 Reals are available to EU/NA people now. Apparently they have better plastic, but I don't have one.

I got one last week, and the case is poorly made still. It's too fat at the connector end; I had to sand some parts of it to fit my DSLite (400 grit). Fits good now..., and I thought the AK2 was bad.
wacko.gif

Mike

Dex Antares

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mikef said:
QUOTE said:

I got one last week, and the case is poorly made still. It's too fat at the connector end; I had to sand some parts of it to fit my DSLite (400 grit). Fits good now..., and I thought the AK2 was bad.
wacko.gif

Mike

Hmm. Still the same crispy plastic, huh? Guess it can't be avoided. Where did you purchase yours from? I contacted one store online, but they said they don't have the new side-loader yet.

ACQ

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
DeltaBurnt said:
1. Make sure that when you see the pictures of the M3 DS Real you're buying, that the website on it says "www.m3adapter.com" and not "www.m3adaptes.com" as the one with adaptes is a fake and cannot run Sakura.

2. If you're getting the bundle that comes with a card reader, DO NOT USE IT. It will virtually kill your card and make it so your computer won't even detect it.

3. If you want to play GBA roms and also use the opera browser I suggest getting the bundle that comes with the GBA expansion and not the rumble. Because the GBA can play roms and it also works as a RAM expansion. While the Rumble expansion isn't that exciting (trust me it isn't, it only works on like 4-5 games and it will randomly make very loud rumbling sounds if you take it out and put it back in while the DS is off).

4. Don't stay with touchpod, it's touch screen functionalities suck. Trust me, just get the latest Sakura and get a good skin and you'll love it.
All bundles, to my knowledge, come with a USB TF reader. I still use mine, and it hasn't caused me grief with the 2 MicroSD cards I've used it with. I guess it's just the luck of the draw, though.

I've had two microSD cards die by the hands of two separate microSD USB adapters just like DeltaBurnt says (one reader came with my R4 and the other with my M3 Simply).

On topic, I bought a M3DS Real Perfect bundle with GBA expansion cart about a year ago and haven't turned back. What a sweet setup. I just recently picked up an 8GB Kingston microSD with keychain USB adapter off Newegg.com for under $20.

Dex Antares

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ACQ said:
Skyline969 said:
DeltaBurnt said:
1. Make sure that when you see the pictures of the M3 DS Real you're buying, that the website on it says "www.m3adapter.com" and not "www.m3adaptes.com" as the one with adaptes is a fake and cannot run Sakura.

2. If you're getting the bundle that comes with a card reader, DO NOT USE IT. It will virtually kill your card and make it so your computer won't even detect it.

3. If you want to play GBA roms and also use the opera browser I suggest getting the bundle that comes with the GBA expansion and not the rumble. Because the GBA can play roms and it also works as a RAM expansion. While the Rumble expansion isn't that exciting (trust me it isn't, it only works on like 4-5 games and it will randomly make very loud rumbling sounds if you take it out and put it back in while the DS is off).

4. Don't stay with touchpod, it's touch screen functionalities suck. Trust me, just get the latest Sakura and get a good skin and you'll love it.
All bundles, to my knowledge, come with a USB TF reader. I still use mine, and it hasn't caused me grief with the 2 MicroSD cards I've used it with. I guess it's just the luck of the draw, though.

I've had two microSD cards die by the hands of two separate microSD USB adapters just like DeltaBurnt says (one reader came with my R4 and the other with my M3 Simply).

On topic, I bought a M3DS Real Perfect bundle with GBA expansion cart about a year ago and haven't turned back. What a sweet setup. I just recently picked up an 8GB Kingston microSD with keychain USB adapter off Newegg.com for under $20.

All well and good, but does anybody know a good place to purchase the new side-loader?

Golin

Trophies
Website
www.loswades.frih.net
XP
Country
United States
Slyder1980 said:
Dex Antares said:
All well and good, but does anybody know a good place to purchase the new side-loader?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2728

The last 3 I bought this month (April 09) have all been side loaders and there genuine cards.
I bought two on April 06 from them... how did you get them before I have? They just shipped it today, in fact.

Dex Antares

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyder1980 said:
Dex Antares said:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2728

The last 3 I bought this month (April 09) have all been side loaders and there genuine cards.

Also, how's the plastic, compared to the top-loader? And how snug is/isn't it when inserted? Again, compared to the top-load version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always wondered how the autobots could afford to do the stuff they did on the show.... now I... +1