Confirmed: the Nintendo 3DS blocks DS flashcarts

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And now that one team has their cart working on the 3DS, the rest will just reverse engineer that cart and switch to their method. Every updateable cart should be working w/in a week or two.

samethernet

Trophies
XP
Country
People, do remember that many flashcards these days has an upgradable chipset (internal loader), this was used to counteract dsi updates, but the teams would probably make use of it so they can also counteract the 3ds firmware

I hope they do as i'm an owner of the
EZflash VI

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think as long as u have a CPU on a cart u can fool any protection system because the system can only base its detection on whatever data it receives or it can probe from the cart itself so it can always be fooled by a CPU sending it what it needs.

So cart with CPU should be able to bypass any protection with correct firmware.

Now I could think of only one way to block card with CPU. That is if the system checked for voltage or power draw from the cartridge to see if its withing range from said game since the CPU increase power draw. In that case it would be impossible to fake unless we add battery in the cart too lol.

Anyways now that it seems to be proven that the 3DS is no uncrackable (R4) wel see some update roll out soon ^^

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SS4 said:
I think as long as u have a CPU on a cart u can fool any protection system because the system can only base its detection on whatever data it receives or it can probe from the cart itself so it can always be fooled by a CPU sending it what it needs.

So cart with CPU should be able to bypass any protection with correct firmware.

Now I could think of only one way to block card with CPU. That is if the system checked for voltage or power draw from the cartridge to see if its withing range from said game since the CPU increase power draw. In that case it would be impossible to fake unless we add battery in the cart too lol.

Anyways now that it seems to be proven that the 3DS is no uncrackable (R4) wel see some update roll out soon ^^
It is plausible, but because we have shown that the R4 has cracked the 3DS, it has been proven that they haven't utilized it, and they can't update the hardware of the console without recreating it entirely (ie. 3DSi/3DS XL). The first cart to some to mind when I think of this is the Supercard, but currently (as I write this) it is unusable on 3DS, but its team is probably busy fixing it already (I for one hope so, because it's the only card I have apart from M3 and I'm almost certain that it is blocked).

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Some people have commented that they could block cards like the SCDS2 by examining the power consumption (or something like that) the card eats up, and while possible, I can't see them doing something like that without affecting special games that have distinct operations on the cards, like Battle & Get! Pokemon Typing DS, which has a Bluetooth transmitter for the supplied keyboard.

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You're right. BTW has anyone thought to test the M3i Zero or any similar card? It's unlikely that they'll work anyway, but it's at the very least worth a shot, I mean what's the worst that could happen?

lenselijer said:
Nice job from r4idsn team, what game do they use? looks like carnival games?
it more looks like Super Mario Bros to me

QUOTE(Rockman GFF @ Feb 26 2011, 02:51 PM) The iEvolution isn't going to work or be tested regardless, until the Japanese Bootstrap is released.
sorry for the triple post,.... but IT WAS TESTED AND IT WORKS!!!

chaoswanderer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just for those who have it and are wondering the m3i zero gmp-z003 does not work with update... ps any info on eshop im getting error message of maintenance

skater-girl-yumi

Trophies
XP
Country
my ez flash vi isnt working with the new 3DS 2.0.0-2E update either
cry.gif

it says:
"an error has occurred. press and hold the power button to turn the system off. please refer to the operations manual for details."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not sure if RetroArch has improved it's UI or not