Confirmed: the Nintendo 3DS blocks DS flashcarts

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
As we had imagined, original Nintendo DS and DSi flashcarts are not functioning at all on the Nintendo 3DS. Members of our forums have tested compatibility with multiple cards, and results are 100% negative. Tested flashcarts so far:
  • Supercard DSTWO
  • Supercard DSONE
  • R4 DS
  • EZ-Flash Vi
  • Acekard 2i
From the first reports we've received, the flashcart icons show up normally in the 3DS menu but refuse to launch. Will flashcart manufacturers release firmware updates to bypass the new protection of the 3DS? Hard to say, but they are probably at work already. The first team to break the 3DS protections will certainly receive great praise from the community.

[tvwide]255-186[/tvwide]
DS Flashcarts on Nintendo 3DS
An attempt to run DS flashcarts on the Nintendo 3DS (video by ahtin)

At 0:31 and again at 1:32, the screen says the following:
Code:
???????????ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂAn error has occurred.

??????OFF??ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Please shut the power OFF
????????????ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ and follow the instructions
????????ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂin the user manual.

Credit for testing goes to trusted forum members ahtin and ManFranceGermany

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
We did see that one coming. Now to wait and see for the iEvo with the DSi exploit. If only there was a Japanese loader available
tongue.gif

-Qtis

NamoNakamura

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably means we can count out the Acekard 2i as well.

EDIT: Well, actually, I'm not sure. My Acekard 2i is flashed to show up as "Danny Phantom: Urban Jungle", but sometimes displays as "Acekard". When I run it when it displays as Acekard, it gives a generic "Please turn off and resort to manual" message. Just gotta wait, I guess.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That was expected.

Now the countdown has started, let's see how many time the 3DS will resist.

(I would laugh very hard if by saturday night, yasu post a video of him playing pop'n music on his brand new 3DS)
laugh.gif

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xaeroak15 said:
Maybe you can try this:
Code:
http://www.acekard3.com/
kakashi~
FAKE ! like every other website opened by the same guy hidden behind an anonymous dns company.
Please people, stop posting those dirty links.
wink.gif

Proof :

http://whois.domaintools.com/3dschip.com
http://whois.domaintools.com/cyclo3ds.com
http://whois.domaintools.com/acekard3.com
http://whois.domaintools.com/ezflash3ds.com
http://whois.domaintools.com/sc3ds.com

@ahtin and ManFranceGermany : thanks for the heads up. Was to expect indeed.
wink.gif

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
I sure hope that a firmware update would allow current flashcarts to work on the 3DS... Saves us from having to buy a new flashcart for the 3DS (if one is ever made... haha).
ohmy.gif

Isaac_GS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NamoNakamura said:

EDIT: Well, actually, I'm not sure. My Acekard 2i is flashed to show up as "Danny Phantom: Urban Jungle", but sometimes displays as "Acekard". When I run it when it displays as Acekard, it gives a generic "Please turn off and resort to manual" message. Just gotta wait, I guess.
My AK2i shows as Alex Rider (formerly Danny Phantom before the 1.41 update) in my DSi, but has the AK2 Icon in my DS Phat. I think something is wrong with your Acekard if it's showing up as AK2 in your DSi.

C

croagunk.master

Isaac_GS said:
NamoNakamura said:

My AK2i shows as Alex Rider (formerly Danny Phantom before the 1.41 update) in my DSi, but has the AK2 Icon in my DS Phat. I think something is wrong with your Acekard if it's showing up as AK2 in your DSi.

Nope, nothing's wrong. It happens to me too. It's really random though.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Since most flashcart teams are located in HK and that they already have some stocks of 3DS, I think they'll start working on the issue very fast (Supercard/AK... team probably already have one 3DS in hand).

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The current carts not working was obvious. But I wonder why they didn't update the DSi to block them if they knew how to. Maybe the blocking of the carts in the 3DS is implemented in hardware...

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
SpaceJump said:
The current carts not working was obvious. But I wonder why they didn't update the DSi to block them if they knew how to. Maybe the blocking of the carts in the 3DS is implemented in hardware...

It might have something to do with the hardware capable of checking what is actually running on the cart instead of just checking what is running when booting the cart. Maybe something like a hypervisor is indeed in the 3DS:

WikipediaRobert P. Goldberg classifies two types of hypervisor:[5]

* Type 1 (or native, bare metal) hypervisors run directly on the host's hardware to control the hardware and to monitor guest operating systems. A guest operating system thus runs on another level above the hypervisor.

This model represents the classic implementation of virtual machine architectures; the original hypervisor was CP/CMS, developed at IBM in the 1960s, ancestor of IBM's z/VM. A modern equivalent of this is the ESXi or Hyper-V hypervisor

* Type 2 (or hosted) hypervisors run within a conventional operating system environment. With the hypervisor layer as a distinct second software level, guest operating systems run at the third level above the hardware.

Thus if this is the case, flashcarts would show up on the boot, but will not work :I

-Qtis

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Yea I think i was supposed to say hormone replacement therapy