Confirmed: the Nintendo 3DS blocks DS flashcarts

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you captian obvious i KNEW that they would fail nintendo ain't stupid ya know but given time i bet nintendo would be pwn'd once again wait and see......im stuck on limbo on getting either a 360 or 3ds...decisions desicions

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm disappointed, but I can't say I'm surprised. It would be great if a simple firmware update on current carts would correct this issue. I imagine this won't be the case. Maybe by the time the 3ds comes out in NA a working flashcart will be available. Preferrably, I would like to see a flashcart that will allow 3d homebrew apps. However, since it took quite a while to unlock dsi mode I imagine it will be a while before we see flashcarts such as this.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ferret7463 said:
Rock Raiyu said:
So I guess now we just play the waiting game...
well in the mean time you can stick with your older DS or you can buy used DS games from $5-$20 a piece. Just be patient.
closedeyes.gif
I don't own a DS anymore.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The SC team said it would be possible to get the DStwo to function (after an update) due to the CPU. Although if Nintendo's using some sort of way to detect the FPGA, then it's impossible.

link_991

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We needed new carts for the DSi, which was more or less a redesign of the DS Lite/Phat with a couple changes. Was anyone expecting our current carts to work with an entirely new system?
And correct me if I'm wrong, but even if firmware updates could somehow allow the play of NDS games via current flashcarts in the 3DS, wouldn't we need new cards for 3DS roms due to the hardware changes? It's not like we can put DS roms on a GBA cart and play them, even if it's inserted in a DS system.

DxEggman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So many people on GBATemp don't want a 3ds flash card! Flash cards havent killed a nintendo systtem to date; the shovelware mountain that came with the dsi is often linked to flashcards but the ds has been loaded with crap from day one.

L-Lawliet

Trophies
XP
Country
DxEggman said:
So many people on GBATemp don't want a 3ds flash card! Flash cards havent killed a nintendo systtem to date; the shovelware mountain that came with the dsi is often linked to flashcards but the ds has been loaded with crap from day one.
Correction. So many people on GBATemp SAY they don't want a 3DS flashcart, they think it makes them look better.

fairuza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
within 30 days of the usa 3ds release at least one ds/i flashcard will work on the 3ds (for ds games, not 3ds). count on it.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
The SC team said it would be possible to get the DStwo to function (after an update) due to the CPU. Although if Nintendo's using some sort of way to detect the FPGA, then it's impossible.

Source? O.o

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
L-Lawliet said:
DxEggman said:
Correction. So many people on GBATemp SAY they don't want a 3DS flashcart, they think it makes them look better.

Actually, Eggman is right.

Mchief298 said:
QUOTE(YayMii @ Feb 25 2011, 06:58 PM)

Source? O.o
They said this a while back, I don't remember where, though.

L-Lawliet

Trophies
XP
Country
machomuu said:
L-Lawliet said:
DxEggman said:

Actually, Eggman is right.

Mchief298 said:
QUOTE(YayMii @ Feb 25 2011, 06:58 PM)

Source? O.o
They said this a while back, I don't remember where, though.
I'm not going to start an argument but it's pretty obvious to see who is trying to look "good" when they say they don't want a 3DS flascart.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
My question might be pretty silly, but... I'm just curious. How did these guys manage to get a 3DS even before the release in Japan?!? Today is the 26th in Singapore but this was posted yesterday!! You mean HK already sells it?
ohmy.gif

Anyway, an update for modern carts to work on the 3DS to work in DS/DSi mode is possible IMO, if the companies get their hands on a 3DS, that is. They must also test their new firmware on the DS/DSi to prove that it is functioning properly.
smile.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
My question might be pretty silly, but... I'm just curious. How did these guys manage to get a 3DS even before the release in Japan?!? Today is the 26th in Singapore but this was posted yesterday!!

Anyway, an update for modern carts to work on the 3DS to work in DS/DSi mode is possible IMO, if the companies get their hands on a 3DS, that is. They must also test their new firmware on the DS/DSi to prove that it is functioning properly.
smile.gif
the stores got them in days ago
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol