[Confirmed] Microsoft to remove Xbox Live Gold paywall for Netflix, Hulu

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, May 13, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

One of the biggest complaints about the Xbox Live service is that users are required to pay for the full service in order to access things like Netflix. Despite the criticisms and ballyhooing, Microsoft has stuck with the policy. Will they ever change?

The answer may surprise you... unless you read the title.
    :arrow:Arstechnica

About 7 year too late, more or less, but, hey, better late than even later, I suppose.

Now, there's talk that some other features might be put behind the pay wall to compensate, because apparently Microsoft is a stickler for equivalent exchange. Who knew?

I will now end this post in the most sufficiently patriotic way possible.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    There are other features to be put behind the paywall?

3. cdoty

cdoty GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    I'm curious to see if this affects the internet browser on the 360. I thought that was the dumbest idea ever... But, I think I've opened the browser twice, and once was to see how well it worked for HTML5 stuff.

4. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    Is YouTube a subject of change too?

5. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    There are Xbox owners without a Gold subscription?

6. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I still love how some Xbox fanboys are all "What do you mean paywall, all I see is insane value for money, just look at all these features, just for 60$ a year".

7. Isaac

Isaac American

Dec 8, 2012
    United States
    Here? Right here? What about, say... over there?
    Awesome. As someone who doesn't use my xbox to play multiplayer much, this is good.

8. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    There are PC gamers who don't use Steam and Playstation owners without plus. PC there's GOG and some just play Minecraft, LoL or Blizzard games and are completely happy, some playstation owners just own it for COD and FIFA and don't need Plus (or even know that console can be connected to internet), with PS4 maybe but even there you can browse internet and play warframe without subscription.

Putting everything behind gold was just test to see if people really pay if you make them and seemed to work, Xbox one they tested would people be ready to be always online which didn't work. Maybe users are realising that playstation just offers so much more even without giving money and are changing to it instead of newer xbox. I mean if there wasn't playstation why should they remove that wall? They are getting money from people who just want to watch netflix!

I remember there was arguments when Games with Gold came and couple guys said "It's only 1.5€ a month if you buy the time from here and even if games are old you can't buy them any cheaper anywhere and you can keep them!" Site was key reselling site. After that Natural Selection mess I have been avoiding key resellers at all cost.
    Of course because they chose Xbox, there can't be paywall on product they just invested and all their friends use!

9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    100% fake if it makes m$ lose $ it's fake

10. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

Currently they could be losing money because people want a Xbox One as a media device but don't want to pay the fee for online. This would make more people want a Xbox One for Netflix and Hulu and its other media features without being forced into paying for online.

Just a thought.

_acid_ and chavosaur like this.
  11. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    As probably the biggest Xbox Fanboy on this forum even I can say that their paywall is a crock of shit.

This is nice news for people that, like guild said, take advantage of the Xbox One as their media playing device. I'm curious to see what other apps they'll remove the paywall for, and what apps they'll keep the paywall for.

The Xbox brand is sponsored by the NFL and they already have huge focus on offering things like the NFL draft to follow up with, and HUGE focus on offering the NFL streaming when the season starts. I wonder if this will still be included in paywall or not.

I would assume the ony things remaining in their paywall would be Xbox Originals and other silly exclusivity things.

12. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    MS have just confirmed this to be true: [​IMG]

leon315, chavosaur and Gahars like this.
  13. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Fuck yes Xbox Fitness for free, it's on PS+, step it up. Seriously though, this brings Gold a bit closer to PS+, which is nice for owners, I guess. Now they need to add some actually decent games to it and it'll be about equal.

14. chavosaur

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    INteresting! Games with gold is finally making its way onto Xbox One next month.
    Granted itll probably begin with titles like Crimson Dragon and Lococycle but still good nonetheless. Im much more excited that digital sales are finally making their way over. Ive been wanting to sell some discs for sometime now.

15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Antisocial bastard (or online antisocial, I am always up for local) brigade representing. Even when I did not have hacked consoles, or hacked consoles that could go online I did not so much as have silver. Similarly I am one of the ones without Steam or and equivalent on the PC, it is surprisingly doable still. Hopefully Steam will allow resale of games before long and I can look at some things I might have missed there.

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  16. Brian117

Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Cleveland, OH

Yes, I am one of them. The 360 does not interest me anymore, nor does any other kind of video game system. I refuse to pay $30-60 for a 12 month sub when I will most likely only play 10 days out of the whole year. So it's good to see that I won't need Gold anymore to use Netflix which I already pay money for.

17. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Looks like Microsoft finally gave into dat Amazon pressure! :D

18. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    To use YouTube it still costs a Gold membership for some reason. :-/

Come on Microsoft, get rid of these stupid paywalls.

19. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Never mind.

20. chavosaur

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC