Hacking Configurable USB Loader

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Muyfa666 said:
QUOTE said:
I suggest you copy the entire usb-loader directory from the USB drive over to the SD card. It will then always work (although sometimes Cfg might enter a 30 second timeout on startup, which you can power cycle your drive to fix. I suggest leaving the covers on USB, though. Just add "covers_path=usb:/usb-loader/covers" to config.txt on the SD card after copying it over (with the other files in the usb-loader directory except for the covers subdirectory).
Does covers load faster if they are on the USB-drive instead of the SD-card?
I think an SD card would be much faster.

Look how much faster Solid State Drives are compared to hard drives. A SD card is just a miniature SSD.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
SnakeAG said:
I got always a correct BCA dump. But now it doesnt work anymore. I think only NSMB and Avatar uses this Area to do a check.

Tryed rev17 = no bca data

Reinstalled rev15 = bca data available
249 rev17+ will always emulate bca by reading it from the iso header at 0x100.
So if you want to dump the real bca data, you will need to use cios 222.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
harmor said:
I think an SD card would be much faster.
Look how much faster Solid State Drives are compared to hard drives. A SD card is just a miniature SSD.
In theory
wink.gif

In practice SD cards are very slow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sd_card#Speeds
Usually SD cards do about 1-10mb/s, which is far less than hdd speed (around 50mb/s) not to talk about ssd (100-250mb/s)

bralph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
bralph said:
I just got started with using a USB loader and chose Configurable USB loader. It's been great except one small thing. After I turn on the Wii after it's been off awhile and I run it, it goes to a screen that says "no wbns partition found". If I exit out and go right back into it, it loads right up. I have the drive formatted with FAT32. I also have the usb-loader directory at the root on both the SD card and the USB drive, but only have the config.txt on the USB drive. If I put the config.txt back on the SD card as well, then it loops the "no wbns partition found message".

I'm using version 53 of Configurable USB Loader. I tried updating to 55 through the "check for updates" option. It seemed to install, but when I ran it, it would go to a completely black screen and freeze, so I copied 53 back to the card and the drive.
This is only peripherally attached to your drive sometimes being a bit slow to wake up. The WBFS message indicates that it is not finding settings.cfg correctly. That is where you must have saved your partition=fat1 option (via saving global options).

I suggest you copy the entire usb-loader directory from the USB drive over to the SD card. It will then always work (although sometimes Cfg might enter a 30 second timeout on startup, which you can power cycle your drive to fix. I suggest leaving the covers on USB, though. Just add "covers_path=usb:/usb-loader/covers" to config.txt on the SD card after copying it over (with the other files in the usb-loader directory except for the covers subdirectory).

Worked perfectly! Thanks Dr. Clipper!!

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
xflak40 said:
SnakeAG said:
Hi. Is the "Dump BCA" Option broken? Cannot dump since updating rev15 to rev19 (with IOS 38).

64Byte with 00 with any Game
wacko.gif
just a guess... but isn't BCA protection new? I would think it should be 64Byte with 00 for all games except new super mario bros wii for now... not 100% on this, just my best guess
Just to clear it up, BCA is not new and every retail Wii disc has data there. However, checking for a valid BCA is new. In any case, when loading with IOS249, Cfg can't use the dumped BCA so there isn't much use to dumping it in the first place. It's a pity Waninkoko didn't provide a special BCA method like Hermes, as this means we may have to patch the game images on the drive which is rather ugly.

hispanico

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just an advise...i use from long time this loader and i see that the lasr release can read also ntfs. So is convenient convert all my game from wbfs to iso, reformat my wd (320gb) in ntfs and use game in iso format ??

Thank

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DGenerateKane said:
dabotsonline said:
Someone needs to install an SSD in an enclosure to check out the performance ;-)

It would be throttled by the usb speed.
If I could afford one I would try it out.
Even if the SSD doesn't perform at maximum speed it still should outperform a regular HDD.

schooluser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Biengo said:
schooluser said:
Cheat Manager only opens files from sd card, and the limit is 64kb, but I get your point, so I'll keep looking for text editors that can open files from usb and handle larger files on the wii(Not looking for notepad on PC, wanting to do it all in the wii so it is not necessary to depend on PC).
Wouldn't Wiixplorer fill those needs ?

I just found WiiXplorer doesn't fill those needs. It won't load usb without a specific ios. Which ios does configurable usb loader use to load the usb when it starts? I need to ask the developers to include support for it and see if that will work for me.

harmor said:
DGenerateKane said:
QUOTE(dabotsonline @ Mar 11 2010, 02:38 PM)
Someone needs to install an SSD in an enclosure to check out the performance ;-)

It would be throttled by the usb speed.
If I could afford one I would try it out.
Even if the SSD doesn't perform at maximum speed it still should outperform a regular HDD.

A USB Key is a solid state drive. Some have larger buffers, but the bottleneck is the USB, even if you have a SATA SSD, it still is limited to the usb throughput, which a USB Key can match, so between a USB 2.0 Key and a SSD in a USB 2.0 enclosure, I'm betting there isn't any difference on a wii.

Tagg7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get crashes whenever trying to load large games (such as Brawl) in the latest version of CFG. I'm using cIOS rev19 and a FAT32 hard drive - it appears to get stuck on files that are split in two (over 4GB). Any idea what the problem could be?

Biengo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
schooluser said:
I just found WiiXplorer doesn't fill those needs. It won't load usb without a specific ios. Which ios does configurable usb loader use to load the usb when it starts? I need to ask the developers to include support for it and see if that will work for me.
I think WiiXplorer needs IOS202 based on 60 to use USB. At least that's what the Best cIOS Selection for Newbies thread taught me. Even then I had to set an option in WiiXplorer to mount USB. But since then USB is working great, today I just added a code for Metroid Prime Trilogy in WiiXplorer. Then you can start Configurable Usb Loader from WiiXplorer, rather convenient !

wiixale

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

SnakeAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
xflak40 said:
SnakeAG said:
Hi. Is the "Dump BCA" Option broken? Cannot dump since updating rev15 to rev19 (with IOS 38).

64Byte with 00 with any Game
wacko.gif
just a guess... but isn't BCA protection new? I would think it should be 64Byte with 00 for all games except new super mario bros wii for now... not 100% on this, just my best guess
Just to clear it up, BCA is not new and every retail Wii disc has data there. However, checking for a valid BCA is new. In any case, when loading with IOS249, Cfg can't use the dumped BCA so there isn't much use to dumping it in the first place. It's a pity Waninkoko didn't provide a special BCA method like Hermes, as this means we may have to patch the game images on the drive which is rather ugly.

I know that. But it was possible to dump this area and save this as bca file to sd. Since rev16 i see only zeros.

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
wiixale said:
pepxl said:
mousex said:
WAIKIKI728 said:
Sorry for the newbie question but..
What means FRAG?¿?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frag_%28video_gaming%29

i thought it was for FAT/NTFS Fragmentation not fragging

I'm asking this question too: the word "FRAG" appear when the CFG boots up, maybe after loading the IOS 249 rev19 that I use for FAT support.

FRAG means u r using a cIOS that uses ogzees hdd fragmentation code, it speeds up the loading of games.

I think thats right anyway!! lol

datahoarder

Organized.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any way to play a sound when it's done ripping a game?
Also, is there a way to configure to turn the wiimote off while ripping? Saves battery.

usptactical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nikeymikey said:
FRAG means u r using a cIOS that uses ogzees hdd fragmentation code, it speeds up the loading of games.

I think thats right anyway!! lol

FRAG means that you're using a wanin cios rev that's >= 18 or you're using Hermes fat/ntfs. So yeah.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • K3Nv2
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: k