Hacking Configurable USB Loader

Narolez

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
zektor said:
Dr. Clipper said:
@zektor: Have you worked out how to pass arguments to the loader yet, so that we don't need the 222 version of the channel any more? That way you could just hold the B button during load to get 222 instead of 249 or vice versa.

I wish. I am certainly no expert. I download source, analyze it, dabble, read, and dabble some more
smile.gif
I couldn't even get USB forwarding working correctly without Narolez's help (he actually completely revamped the code) so something like this is truly beyond my scope at the moment. I'll look around at similar sources that perform this function and see if I could accomplish it, but don't hold your breath
smile.gif
I am definitely no code guru...

Take a look on my NForwarder code in main.c, arguments (filename of dol) are already passed:

CODE
// build the arguments
struct __argv arg;
bzero(&arg, sizeof(arg));
arg.argvMagic = ARGV_MAGIC;
arg.length = strlen(filename) + 2;
arg.commandLine = malloc(arg.length);
strcpy(arg.commandLine, filename);
arg.commandLine[arg.length - 1] = '\x00';
arg.argc = 1;
arg.argv = &arg.commandLine;
arg.endARGV = arg.argv + 1;

// run the dol form SD or USB with arguments
run_dol(myBuffer, &arg);

Feel free to extend the code to pass the IOS argument.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Narolez: I have pmed you in regards to how to get this accomplished.

Until then...

v43 of the Configurable USB Loader "Hybrid Channel". The archive contains two channels, one containing the 249 hybrid (standard release) and one containing the "222 special version" of v43 (for Hermes cIOS). On the forwarding side, forwarding to SD *and* USB are implemented this time around. Please view the included "readme-hybrid.txt" for more information. Enjoy!

http://sharebee.com/b75b2867

EDIT: I have also finally discovered the original author of the spinning disc channel art, who is wilsoff. I will update the readme in the next release to give him credit for it as well
smile.gif

deanq4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to switch the order of the places that a forwarder checks to increase the speed of the load? I use the USB and since I switched it seems to take a lot longer. (not unbearable though)

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deanq4 said:
Is there a way to switch the order of the places that a forwarder checks to increase the speed of the load? I use the USB and since I switched it seems to take a lot longer. (not unbearable though)

How much longer are we talking? Seemed pretty quick on my end...

deanq4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like 10 seconds vs like 2-3. just enough to make you think it failed... then it works. It started this after i switched from the SD card to the USB drive. Again, not unbearable, but annoying.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
deanq4 said:
like 10 seconds vs like 2-3. just enough to make you think it failed... then it works. It started this after i switched from the SD card to the USB drive. Again, not unbearable, but annoying.
Does it take the same amount of time with Narolez' forwarder?

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SuperSonicRacer14 said:
Hello. I'm new to this USB Loader. I was wondering if there was a compatibility list for this particular one anywhere...Don't hurt me!! Heh.

google usb loader compatibiltiy, it will be the first link
smile.gif

-Erik

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deanq4 said:

You are using the version I had just posted? Because I changed the nostorageretry from 10 to 0. That should have allowed it to check SD, then immediately check USB. Try the standard forwarder (Narolez) and see if it does the same thing as recommended earlier.

SuperSonicRacer1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
burritoboy9984 said:
SuperSonicRacer14 said:
Hello. I'm new to this USB Loader. I was wondering if there was a compatibility list for this particular one anywhere...Don't hurt me!! Heh.

google usb loader compatibiltiy, it will be the first link
smile.gif

-Erik

That list is missing a few games I wanna try. Will King of Fighters: Orochi Saga work? (US Region) Also, will Sonic And The Black Knight (US Region) and Spectrobes Origins (US Region) work? I've also heard of people having problems with Super Smash Bros. Brawl (US), Sonic And The Secret Rings (US), and Super Paper Mario (US).

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
SuperSonicRacer14 said:
That list is missing a few games I wanna try. Will King of Fighters: Orochi Saga work? (US Region) Also, will Sonic And The Black Knight (US Region) and Spectrobes Origins (US Region) work? I've also heard of people having problems with Super Smash Bros. Brawl (US), Sonic And The Secret Rings (US), and Super Paper Mario (US).
Generally, most everything should work except for most of the games listed without a star in Problem Category 1 of this list. The ones with a star need alternative .dol. Some others (e.g., Monster Hunter Tri) need IOS222/223. SSBB, MP3 within MPT and music games with multiple USB peripherals require IOS222/223 too. The only game you list that might not work is Orochi Saga (I've never heard of it), but I would assume it would probably work. One thing is clear, though. If it doesn't work in Configurable, it won't work on any other USB loader.

SuperSonicRacer1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only one I'm concerned about now is Super Smash Bros. Brawl, being Dual Layer and all. All the same, thanks for the reply. Now that I think about it, Orochi Saga is a compilation of games, and I've noticed several problems with those types of games.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
SuperSonicRacer14 said:
The only one I'm concerned about now is Super Smash Bros. Brawl, being Dual Layer and all. All the same, thanks for the reply. Now that I think about it, Orochi Saga is a compilation of games, and I've noticed several problems with those types of games.
Install and play SSBB with IOS222 and it will work perfectly. IOS249 rev14 will break it if you install it that way. Compilation games are troublesome. However, the alternative dol trick gets about half of them going as shown in my previous link. Good luck with it
wink.gif

SuperSonicRacer1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your assistance.
smile.gif

EDIT: I'm wondering if One Piece: Unlimited Adventure (US) and One Piece: Unlimited Cruise (PAL) will work. I'm especially concerned about Unlimited Cruise. Since it's of different Region than my Wii, will I be able to save my game?

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sacohen9665 said:
oggzee said:
Right!
Forgot about that one, ok here it is:

SDUSB-Loader_cfg43-222.dol

http://sharebee.com/3a964040

If I replace my DOL on my USB drive with this, will the online updates be the 222 updates or whatever the latest is?

Just curious, how does this differ them setting 222 in the config.txt?

Sorry about the double post, but I never got a response to this.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sacohen9665 said:
Sacohen9665 said:
oggzee said:
Right!
Forgot about that one, ok here it is:

SDUSB-Loader_cfg43-222.dol

http://sharebee.com/3a964040

If I replace my DOL on my USB drive with this, will the online updates be the 222 updates or whatever the latest is?

Just curious, how does this differ them setting 222 in the config.txt?

Sorry about the double post, but I never got a response to this.

Since it internally looks for cIOS222 instead of 249 on boot, the bootup is slightly faster than using the standard version and using a comment in the config.txt. Other than that it is pretty much the same. It is very useful if you wanted to use it in channel form on a system without cios249 (and only cios222/223 installed) as well.

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
Since it internally looks for cIOS222 instead of 249 on boot, the bootup is slightly faster than using the standard version and using a comment in the config.txt. Other than that it is pretty much the same. It is very useful if you wanted to use it in channel form on a system without cios249 (and only cios222/223 installed) as well.

Thanks Zektor.
Are you talking about the message at the top of the loader when it starts that says something like found and loaded cIOS 222 OK?

I saw that a couple of time when I was using the beta version of 43 with the config command, but now that I put the final release version of 43 222 on my fat partition on my USB in the apps USBLoader folder, I haven't seen it.

Maybe I'm missing something or have it setup wrong.

If it internally looks for 222 on bootup of the loader then why does it still go thru loading mload.... when I hit A to play a game?

I know it is using the 222 version because it says it on the global setting page and I have removed that option from my config file.

Also what about the online updates, those are just the 249 version correct?

Thanks again;

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Sacohen9665 said:
Thanks Zektor.
Are you talking about the message at the top of the loader when it starts that says something like found and loaded cIOS 222 OK?

I saw that a couple of time when I was using the beta version of 43 with the config command, but now that I put the final release version of 43 222 on my fat partition on my USB in the apps USBLoader folder, I haven't seen it.

Maybe I'm missing something or have it setup wrong.

If it internally looks for 222 on bootup of the loader then why does it still go thru loading mload.... when I hit A to play a game?

I know it is using the 222 version because it says it on the global setting page and I have removed that option from my config file.

Also what about the online updates, those are just the 249 version correct?

Thanks again;
The 222 version doesn't display the additional ios loading message at start.

The message when you start the game is just informational, so you know you're starting with ios222-mload.

Yes the updates are just for the 249.

solace33

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm new to the scene and have been used to only using coverfloader. I saw configurable usb loader on youtube and fell in love with it.

Great work and it's superb that you are continuing to improve it on a regular basis.

One thing that I did struggle with initially was how to use to use the various buttons. It took me ages to find the global settings option - yes I was blind. I wonder if it's possible to incorporate a help page just to explain what the buttons do to help people with the transition.

Eitherway, it's a great piece of software and it might rekindle my C skills which have laid dormant for years due to being deskilled with all our technical work going to India
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think they stopped making it due to disks exploding lol +1