Hacking Configurable USB Loader

madtamski

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
rommy667 said:
This is Def the best usb loader out their ive messed with them all but this is the clear winner thanks to all involved
smile.gif

Totally agree!

You only have to look at the activity and amount of pages in this thread to know it's the winner
wink.gif

Keep up the good work!

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
gd48202 said:
I have found a minor issue with the cheat manager with the latest version of Configurable USB Loader. If I try to download the cheats for Zelda: Twilight Princess. It states that there is an error because there are more than 256 lines.

Well you don't use them all anyway cause some of the cheats are for v1 and some are for v2, so you better edit the .txt file once downloaded and then manage the cheat on the loader...!!
wink.gif

charroux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oggzee said:
charroux said:
Is there some way of having parentals control settings off at startup, then enabled with password and save that setting for the next startup? Maybe an admin_unlock = 2 or admin_lock = 0? The reason I ask is because I always want to be able to install/uninstall and see the 18+/M games, and only want them hidden when my 9-year-old nephews come over. I know I can unhide the games via password each time, but sometimes I forget to unlock them when my friends come over, so they don't see all the games by default.
Hmm, interesting problem
smile.gif

There's isn't at the moment, we'll consider it.
Not sure how to name the option
smile.gif
(as always)
Probably one of:
admin_lock = 0
start_unlocked = 1
For now, you could use the old method of having 2 config dirs...
edit: oh just now realized you will want to save the state as well, that makes it a bit more complicated
wink.gif
(not hard, just not trivial, so not sure if i'll add that quick)
another quick work-around: set your password empty, that way it's easy to unlock just hold button 1 for 5 seconds and it's done. like this:
unlock_password=
Thanks for the empty password tip. Saving the state is secondary to having a flag, so that would be appreciated even without a save feature. admin_start_unlocked=1 makes more sense to me.

I also found an interesting "bug" when I used a background base image with transparency in it: overlays become invisible and text outlines and shadows are forced to be visible in the transparent areas. This is easily solved by always using a black background behind any transparencies in the base image. A simple note to not use *_base* images with transparency in the readme file would probably be all that's needed for this one.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
cfg v41 (release)

http://sharebee.com/470918c1
(or online)

Code:
ChangesÂÂsince beta:

* Fixed minor glitch with resized overlays
* Increased hide game limit to 500
* Updated all themes in the package to use overlays
ÂÂ (while still being backward compatible)
* New themes included: (all using overlays)
ÂÂ - NXE_transparent by Blue-K
ÂÂ - Nature 3D by DonTlaloc
ÂÂ - Black Cat by Milcoi

ChangesÂÂsince 40 release:

* Streamlined steps in game install screen
* Fixed green screen before starting game (from cloader)

* Improved theming:

* Background overlay support
ÂÂ additional images can be supplied that will be overlaid over the background:
ÂÂ - bg_overlay.png or bg_overlay_w.png for console background
ÂÂ - bg_gui_over.png or bg_gui_over_w.png for gui background
ÂÂ If *_w.png variant is not found then the normal is used.
ÂÂ New options:
ÂÂ - background_base
ÂÂ - wbackground_base
ÂÂ - background_gui
ÂÂ - wbackground_gui
ÂÂ Used to specify the background base over which the overlays are applied.

* background width can be larger than 640 and will be either
ÂÂ - scaled if widescreen
ÂÂ - cropped if not widescreen
ÂÂ down to 640x480. Note: height must still be 480.

* Option layout no longer re-sets the covers_size and wcovers_size
ÂÂ So that a cover_style or [w]cover_size in front of layout works as expected.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
I guess I lose...
cry.gif

Seriously though, good work on getting it out. It's nice to get the default values for those options so that I can finalise the Configurator to match. One question though. Exactly how "the same" are the background and background_base options? Are they exactly equivalent so that I need to only look at the last one which was written, or is there a slight difference between the two?

bnm81002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
QUOTE said:
now I'm confused, in the apps folder is the USBLoader folder and nothing else?
OK, you need to have copied inSDRoot/apps/USBLoader to usb:/apps/USBLoader. You also should copy inSDRoot/USB-Loader to usb:/USB-Loader.

You really should just copy from your already working SD card, though. Take those directories (whichever ones you have on your SD card already) and copy them to the USB FAT partition with the same file structure. Then eject the SD card and use either the forwarder or HBC and you should be good.

I copied over the 2 folders to my FAT partition and it doesn't load up via the forwarder? it loads back into the Wii screen? it loads via the SD card using HBC,
I think it has to do with the config file, how do I edit that to load of the usb instead of the sd card?

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure the forwarder is looking for sd:/apps/USBLoader/boot.dol How to change to USB...I don't really know. But it most likely is a problem concerning the forwarder.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
bnm81002 said:
I copied over the 2 folders to my FAT partition and it doesn't load up via the forwarder? it loads back into the Wii screen? it loads via the SD card using HBC,
I think it has to do with the config file, how do I edit that to load of the usb instead of the sd card?
Just change any sd:/stuff to usb:/stuff. It can't be that though, as even without the config.txt file, the loader would start. Have you tried removing the SD card and starting through HBC? Also, which forwarder are you using? only Narolez' forwarder looks at the USB, and it will look at the SD first too, just like the HBC does.

QUOTE(OneUp @ Aug 21 2009, 01:07 PM) I'm pretty sure the forwarder is looking for sd:/apps/USBLoader/boot.dol How to change to USB...I don't really know. But it most likely is a problem concerning the forwarder.
Narolez' forwarder (available in the first post) looks at the SD card and then looks at the USB if it can't be found on the SD. You need to have the same directory structure on the USB as you would have had on the SD card. zektor's hybrid with forwarding does not look at the USB as there is no need for it to do so.

bnm81002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
bnm81002 said:
Just change any sd:/stuff to usb:/stuff. It can't be that though, as even without the config.txt file, the loader would start. Have you tried removing the SD card and starting through HBC? Also, which forwarder are you using? only Narolez' forwarder looks at the USB, and it will look at the SD first too, just like the HBC does.

QUOTE(OneUp @ Aug 21 2009, 01:07 PM) I'm pretty sure the forwarder is looking for sd:/apps/USBLoader/boot.dol How to change to USB...I don't really know. But it most likely is a problem concerning the forwarder.
Narolez' forwarder (available in the first post) looks at the SD card and then looks at the USB if it can't be found on the SD. You need to have the same directory structure on the USB as you would have had on the SD card. zektor's hybrid with forwarding does not look at the USB as there is no need for it to do so.

ok I got it working with HBC, forgot that the 1.0.3 version works without the SD card(DOHHHH) I have the spinning hard drive forwarder, so only Narolez forwarder works with the USB drive?

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:

Although there may be no need (or maybe the need in certain RARE occasions), Narolez has offered to help get USB forwarding into the Hybrid channel for me. So, next release should have it implemented.

After talking to my brother today (who is a fan of this loader and NeoGamma), I also created a hybrid channel that is a forwarder for CFG and has NeoGamma R7 integrated. The whole purpose of the channel to begin with is for those pinch situations in which you do not have your SD card present in the system but still want to play a quick game, and I think NeoGamma being integrated serves that purpose very well. So, SD card in and it is a forwarder for CFG. SD card out, and it loads NeoGamma R7....all in one convenient channel. Sort off a "marraige" of the two greatest loaders out there to date. If anyone has any interest for this, I'll upload it somewhere as well.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rem300wm said:
Hello to all
zektor I will definitely will like a copy of the channel.
Thanks
Rem

Ok:

http://sharebee.com/fa354922

Entitled "Backup Loader Hybrid"...since I can't really think of a better name for it
smile.gif
Same rules apply to the forwarder. It looks for USBLoader at:

sd:/apps/USBLoader/boot.dol
sd:/USBLoader/boot.dol

And if none available, it'll load NeoGamma R7. If people actually like it, I'll get it together in a better package with the CFG readme's and such, as well as the NeoGamma readme's and an updated "thanks" list including everyone involved. After of course I get USB forwarding in there as well.

I have been testing it for a day now, and it works flawlessly. title id is simply "LOAD"

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Dr. Clipper said:
I guess I lose...
cry.gif

Seriously though, good work on getting it out. It's nice to get the default values for those options so that I can finalise the Configurator to match. One question though. Exactly how "the same" are the background and background_base options? Are they exactly equivalent so that I need to only look at the last one which was written, or is there a slight difference between the two?
Sorry about that
smile.gif
Well the average opinion seemed that it doesn't matter and since it does the job fine i didn't change it.

The options are exactly the same, that is they are the same option. Even order matters so yes the last one wins and when designing themes that have to be back and forth compatible the old option has to be specified first then the new to achieve the proper behavior. You can check the included themes for examples...

DeathClown

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
After updating from v38 cfg seems to take longer to recognize my hdd. Sometimes I have to reset or power down 4 or 5 times before it works without freezing. It only seems to work about 70% of the time. Is anyone else having this problem? Neogamma finds it right away so I'm thinking it may not be my hdd(120gb western digital). I'm using rev14 on a 4.1u wii.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
DeathClown said:
After updating from v38 cfg seems to take longer to recognize my hdd. Sometimes I have to reset or power down 4 or 5 times before it works without freezing. It only seems to work about 70% of the time. Is anyone else having this problem? Neogamma finds it right away so I'm thinking it may not be my hdd(120gb western digital). I'm using rev14 on a 4.1u wii.
Does going back to v38 fix this?
Are you perhaps using ios=222-mload or ios=223-mload in your config.txt?
Is your configuration on SD card or on USB drive?

aabbccdd

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I have House of the Dead: OVERKILL installed. When I scroll down the game list and it should display it next, the program crashes. No code dump, just crashes. I'd hate to delete the game, anything I could do to fix this?

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
aabbccdd said:
I have House of the Dead: OVERKILL installed. When I scroll down the game list and it should display it next, the program crashes. No code dump, just crashes. I'd hate to delete the game, anything I could do to fix this?
Could be a corrupted cover image. Try removing it and re-downloading.
Or checking the SD fat filesystem on windows for errors.
Or backup your SD card, format and restore back the files.
Hopefully one of these steps will solve the issue.
You can also try different loader versions and see if it is a problem with a particular version...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4