Hacking Configurable USB Loader

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Because NTFS only exists because Microsoft is right behind it, and they keep it a lot less open than FAT. From my experience, Windows does not even unmount NTFS systems properly.

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so here is my question, right now im moving some files from my 1TB HDD, so that i can partition it to have 32FAT as well as NTFS, so once i have done the partition, can i run CFG USB in FAT32 but boot games from the NTFS? I want to make the FAT32 about 5GB's because I don't think I will need that much space for Homebrew

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Cloudbringer said:
Ok, this didn't work.... it still only show's the regular "flat" covers and not the full covers or the disc covers(if i even change to that)
this is getting me stomped atm, going back to use my SDHC card untill someone get's a clever idea
tongue.gif

/Cloud
Are the directories on your drive using the same case for the directories as the ones in your config.txt? We've found in the past that the ntfs reading code is case specific, so you should match the case. It could be why the 2D covers are showing, as the full directory might not be there as ntfs:/wii/covers/FULL.

XICO2KX

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Is there any way to return to Configurable USB Loader when we exit a game (instead of going back to the System Menu)?
unsure.gif
rolleyes.gif

That would be incredibly useful!!!
happy.gif
biggrin.gif

anbidan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Cloudbringer said:
Cloudbringer said:
Dr. Clipper said:
No. Use "covers_path=ntfs:/wii/covers" (without quotes). The others will automatically be generated from that, or you can fill them in too.
Like this then if i understood it correctly.
CODEpartition = NTFS1
covers_path = ntfs:/wii/covers
covers_path_2d = ntfs:/wii/covers
covers_path_3d = ntfs:/wii/covers/3D
covers_path_disc = ntfs:/wii/covers/DISC
covers_path_full = ntfs:/wii/covers/FULL
Going to test this thoroughly when i get home, thanks for all the help regarding this issue Dr.Clipper, appreciate it
biggrin.gif

Also, Is there a way to edit the path where all the games are stored ?
Looks kind of funky with wbfs folder in root, As I would much rather have it in my wii folder. f.ex "G:\wii\wbfs\" or "G:\wii\games\"
Got all my wii stuff in that folder, configurator for cfg usb loader, nand backup, covers, you get the picture
tongue.gif

just an idea.

Ok, this didn't work.... it still only show's the regular "flat" covers and not the full covers or the disc covers(if i even change to that)
this is getting me stomped atm, going back to use my SDHC card untill someone get's a clever idea
tongue.gif

/Cloud

I've tried this too, in my case some covers shows ok and some other didn't. I've got 2 partitions in my hard drive one in NTFS and the other one is FAT32 (just for the Wii), in FAT32 everything works great but if I set to the NTFS partition (I've tried your exact same config.txt) some covers show ok and some don't as I said before. Maybe in some other version it's fixed, I've tried this in rev 56 and it didn't work at all in NTFS (great in FAT32), now I've tried with rev 59. So, I have to keep the FAT32 partition for Wii, it would be nice to have a single NTFS partition for all, hope they'll fix it soon.

I almost forgot: Thanks and Congratulations to the people that makes "Configurable USB Loader" it's really a great USB Loader, if I can be of any help don't hesitate to contact me. And sorry if my english is not good enough.

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XICO2KX said:
Is there any way to return to return to Configurable USB Loader when we exit a game (instead of going back to the System Menu)?
unsure.gif
rolleyes.gif

happy.gif
biggrin.gif

Oggzee, can you write in the FAQs how to return the CFG instead of the the System Menu?
It'll be easier to link to the FAQ than typing out the steps to accomplish what the guy I'm quoting wants done.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
harmor said:
XICO2KX said:
Is there any way to return to return to Configurable USB Loader when we exit a game (instead of going back to the System Menu)?
unsure.gif
rolleyes.gif

happy.gif
biggrin.gif

Oggzee, can you write in the FAQs how to return the CFG instead of the the System Menu?
It'll be easier to link to the FAQ than typing out the steps to accomplish what the guy I'm quoting wants done.

Install Priiloader and use the "Install File" option to install a CFG forwarder .dol, then set Priiloader to boot installed file

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pepxl said:
harmor said:
XICO2KX said:
unsure.gif
rolleyes.gif

happy.gif
biggrin.gif

Install Priiloader and use the "Install File" option to install a CFG forwarder .dol, then set Priiloader to boot installed file
I think he's referring "return_to_channel" feature.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
harmor said:
pepxl said:
harmor said:
XICO2KX said:
unsure.gif
rolleyes.gif

happy.gif
biggrin.gif

oh yes i see what you mean now lol, Priiloader would be the best way unless Oggzee can come up with some sort of stub placed in memory that is loaded on exit like HBC

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
pepxl said:
harmor said:
pepxl said:
harmor said:
XICO2KX said:
unsure.gif
rolleyes.gif

happy.gif
biggrin.gif

oh yes i see what you mean now lol, Priiloader would be the best way unless Oggzee can come up with some sort of stub placed in memory that is loaded on exit like HBC
That's exactly what the return_to_channel feature does. From README_CFG.txt:

# return_to_channel = [0], JODI, FDCL, ...
# Games will return to the selected channel ID
# e.g., JODI for HBC or a forwarder channel like FDCL or DCFG
# to reload Cfg.
# 0 is the default Wii Menu operation

And yeah, it is one of our most frequently asked questions, so I guess it makes sense to add it to the first post.

Edit: I just changed my tutorial page for the forwarder channel with some info about the option. We can just post this link from now on, I guess.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
cfg v60b (beta)
cfg60b.dol
cfg60b-222.dol
lang60b.zip
(or online update)
Changes:

cfg v60b (beta)
* Changed FS mountpoint handling:
USB drive: 'usb:' is first FAT 'ntfs:' is first NTFS partition
SD/SDHC card: 'sd:' is first FAT or NTFS partition if FAT is not found
game: is a temporary mount for games on FAT or NTFS and will be any partition
that is selected but is not already mounted as one of the above
config.txt is now searched also on ntfs:/usb-loader/config.txt
in addition to sd: and usb:

In other words this should make it easier having covers or even entire install on ntfs:

cambric

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
oggzee said:
cfg v60b (beta)
cfg60b.dol
cfg60b-222.dol
lang60b.zip
(or online update)
Changes:

cfg v60b (beta)
* Changed FS mountpoint handling:
USB drive: 'usb:' is first FAT 'ntfs:' is first NTFS partition
SD/SDHC card: 'sd:' is first FAT or NTFS partition if FAT is not found
game: is a temporary mount for games on FAT or NTFS and will be any partition
that is selected but is not already mounted as one of the above
config.txt is now searched also on ntfs:/usb-loader/config.txt
in addition to sd: and usb:

In other words this should make it easier having covers or even entire install on ntfs:

Awesome Oggzee... Thanks for your work...

Just an improvement idea: how about having the following in FS mountpoint handling:

USB drive: 'fat:' is first FAT - 'ntfs:' is first NTFS partition - 'usb:' is first FAT or NTFS partition if FAT is not found

Let me also take this opportunity to repeat another very old improvement idea: How about having in the config options:
# partition = [WBFS1], ...WBFS4, FAT1, ...FAT9, NTFS1, ...NTFS9, first, ask

where "first" is the first partition of the HD (whatever it is, WBFS, FAT32 or NTFS)? As usual, the games are always in the first partition of the HD...

Actually, since cIOS249 rev18+ allows to open all kind of partitions (wbfs,fat,ntfs), the best should be having something like the following:

# partition = [Part1], Part2, Part3, ... , Part9, ask

where Part1 is the first partition (whatever it has been formatted in), Part2 is the second partition, an so on....

Thanks again to Oggzee and to all the devs for this state of the art loader

Cambo

Cloudbringer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Dr. Clipper said:
Cloudbringer said:
tongue.gif

/Cloud
Are the directories on your drive using the same case for the directories as the ones in your config.txt? We've found in the past that the ntfs reading code is case specific, so you should match the case. It could be why the 2D covers are showing, as the full directory might not be there as ntfs:/wii/covers/FULL.

Yes, everything check's out, it's the exact match.
for some reason it doesn't want to read them, it works on the fat32 partition tho,

while i'm at it, i can't load games with cfg usb loader from the Fat32 partition on my disk, i get a error dump when i try to start f.eks metroid other M.
it works perfectly when the loader is on the SD card.

so everything except the covers is back on the SD card. unless someone get's any funky ideas ^^

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
cambric said:

Just an improvement idea: how about having the following in FS mountpoint handling:

USB drive: 'fat:' is first FAT - 'ntfs:' is first NTFS partition - 'usb:' is first FAT or NTFS partition if FAT is not found
We need to keep "usb:" as is for backwards compatibility. The method you propose would make Cfg break for anybody who updated to the newer version with a "usb:" path already in their config.txt.

QUOTE said:
Let me also take this opportunity to repeat another very old improvement idea: How about having in the config options:
# partition = [WBFS1], ...WBFS4, FAT1, ...FAT9, NTFS1, ...NTFS9, first, ask

where "first" is the first partition of the HD (whatever it is, WBFS, FAT32 or NTFS)? As usual, the games are always in the first partition of the HD...
Actually, we were just discussing in chat this morning to add an 'auto' value to the partition option to allow for it to automatically select either WBFS1, NTFS1 or FAT1, whichever has a wbfs folder (or is present in the WBFS case). This would be the best option for those with multiple drives of different types as well as for the noobs who don't understand the current warning.

Actually, since cIOS249 rev18+ allows to open all kind of partitions (wbfs,fat,ntfs), the best should be having something like the following:

# partition = [Part1], Part2, Part3, ... , Part9, ask

where Part1 is the first partition (whatever it has been formatted in), Part2 is the second partition, an so on....
One point of contention, cIOS249 rev18+ does not really allow access to the other partition types (it does have FAT support, but it is crude and not enough for our purposes). What rev 18+ does do is support plugins so that oggzee's code for FAT and NTFS support can work. The same plugin is used for Hermes' IOS.

And on numbering by partition, it's no more powerful than numbering first by the partition type and then by number as done now.

cambric

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Dr. Clipper said:
cambric said:

We need to keep "usb:" as is for backwards compatibility. The method you propose would make Cfg break for anybody who updated to the newer version with a "usb:" path already in their config.txt.

How abot having something like:

USB drive: 'usb:' is first FAT - 'ntfs:' is first NTFS partition - 'any:' is first FAT or NTFS partition if FAT is not found

or even:

USB drive: 'usb:' is first FAT or NTFS partition if FAT is not found

QUOTE(Dr. Clipper @ Sep 8 2010, 10:14 AM)
Actually, we were just discussing in chat this morning to add an 'auto' value to the partition option to allow for it to automatically select either WBFS1, NTFS1 or FAT1, whichever has a wbfs folder (or is present in the WBFS case). This would be the best option for those with multiple drives of different types as well as for the noobs who don't understand the current warning.
This would be wonderful, thanks a lot...
Let me say that 95% of the people use the first HD partition for games, hence this "auto" option could be the default one...

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I dont, i have games in second partition which is ntfs, so first ntfs partition, but second partition on drive, have 80 gig fat for sneek covers etc

cafevincent

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
wiixale said:
cafevincent said:
Am I the only one who is annoyed by the wrong cover images in all the New Play Control games? It ruins the cover flow for me. NPC games have the actual full image cover in the reverse side of the sheet.

It's not CFG's fault.

Look for right covers and put them manually into the covers' folder.

Google doesn't help but maybe you know where I could find such alternate covers? Or do you mean I need to make them myself from internet images?

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
cafevincent said:
wiixale said:
cafevincent said:
Am I the only one who is annoyed by the wrong cover images in all the New Play Control games? It ruins the cover flow for me. NPC games have the actual full image cover in the reverse side of the sheet.

It's not CFG's fault.

Look for right covers and put them manually into the covers' folder.

Google doesn't help but maybe you know where I could find such alternate covers? Or do you mean I need to make them myself from internet images?

try wiitdb.com, thats where every loader obtains there covers from, bear in mind different languages/countries some times come with different covers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: istg if lose another game of minesweeper