Hacking Configurable USB Loader

deshwasi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone know how to automatically download covers etc for all games? i am having to do this for each game individually manually and its a royal pain.

edit: never mind. found it.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiCrazy said:
As a programmer logically I think disable_remove should be set to 1, but here is what happens in the configurator. That field is shown as
disable_remove and it's options are... 0 (enabled), 1 (disabled)... So if you select 1 you are logically disabling disabling of removal which actually means enabling removal... so you select 0 / enabled... but that's the wrong choice...
it's the same for the other choices as well.

@Dr.Clipper : maybe it would be better to word these options like this
Game removal : 0 (enabled), 1 (disabled)
As an engineer, I assumed most other learned people wouldn't assume the options named disable were active low when all other options were active high. I also realised that if I used the default definitions of "1=on" and "0=off" that many laypeople would get confused with the double negative of "If disable is off, then it is enabled". Thus, I tried to make it as logical as possible for everyone that for an option that can disable things, 1 means the things are disabled.

The English translation of the loader also uses the option names and values that Cfg uses, so I can't change that. I do see the ambiguity, though, and will change the tooltips for the values to say "enable options" and "disable options" etc. That should remove the ambiguity and still be understood by the layperson.

QUOTE(deshwasi @ Mar 7 2010, 06:27 AM) anyone know how to automatically download covers etc for all games? i am having to do this for each game individually manually and its a royal pain.
Download all your missing covers at once by going to the global options page, selecting "Download Missing Covers" and pushing either A or right.

rr20552

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am using cios 222 (v4 merged with 38) with a FAT32 partition without any issues.

I was going to get my son GH for his birthday and was wondering what the easiest way of getting it to work with cfg?

I understand that 222 (v5) does not merge with 37 anymore but what about 249 v18/19 and FAT32 support etc etc?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Skeeve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just tried to move every game from my wbfs formated partition to a fat32 formatted usb drive.

I also (online) updated to cfg loader to the newest beta (55?). I can see all the games and I also loaded almost all the covers.

But when I select any game I see "wbfs error: bad magic".

Did the copy fail or did I do anything else wrong?

Fixed: I updated wwt (to copy), copied again and now it works.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Dr. Clipper said:
WiiCrazy said:
As a programmer logically I think disable_remove should be set to 1, but here is what happens in the configurator. That field is shown as
disable_remove and it's options are... 0 (enabled), 1 (disabled)... So if you select 1 you are logically disabling disabling of removal which actually means enabling removal... so you select 0 / enabled... but that's the wrong choice...
it's the same for the other choices as well.

@Dr.Clipper : maybe it would be better to word these options like this
Game removal : 0 (enabled), 1 (disabled)
As an engineer, I assumed most other learned people wouldn't assume the options named disable were active low when all other options were active high. I also realised that if I used the default definitions of "1=on" and "0=off" that many laypeople would get confused with the double negative of "If disable is off, then it is enabled". Thus, I tried to make it as logical as possible for everyone that for an option that can disable things, 1 means the things are disabled.

Well I only needed configurator usage for this so I can't make an assumption regarding all the options of the programs. Don't differentiate your users by laypeople or learned people... You should consider those that lack logical thinking too... Albeit being a quite logical man and a computer engineer even I falled for the misguiding description there.

Well, moreover.. You have a checkbox there which is redundant... Until a new option added for disable_remove which is unlikely due to naming you can keep it a lot simple by making it like this

[ ] Disable Remove

Sorry but keeping things quite easy to work on is not always the best form of engineering. (keeping config key in the ui text, keeping values as they appear in the machine readable format for ex.)

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
New version of the Configurator is out to match 55b and to remove disable ambiguity.

WiiCrazy said:
Well I only needed configurator usage for this so I can't make an assumption regarding all the options of the programs. Don't differentiate your users by laypeople or learned people... You should consider those that lack logical thinking too... Albeit being a quite logical man and a computer engineer even I fell for the misguiding description there.
I didn't mean anything disrespectful by that, I was using those terms to indicate whether you knew of logic or not. 'Laypeople' will lack the logical thinking necessary to spot the ambiguity (and they cannot comprehend the whole boolean off/on aspect of 0/1 as I am discovering elsewhere). Programmers and other people learned in logic will see the ambiguity, but I falsely assumed they would figure out what I had done
wink.gif

QUOTE said:
Well, moreover.. You have a checkbox there which is redundant... Until a new option added for disable_remove which is unlikely due to naming you can keep it a lot simple by making it like this

[ ] Disable Remove
The checkbox is actually needed. It is possible to use multiple config.txt files (one in the base directory, one in the apps). The base one can have one version of the option (e.g., disable_format = 1), but you can have two copies of Cfg in different apps directories and one of those might be your 'format version' which undoes the base config.txt by specifying (disable_format=0). Thus, you must be able to specify whether the disable_format option is present and also be able to specify its value if it is.

QUOTE said:
Sorry but keeping things quite easy to work on is not always the best form of engineering. (keeping config key in the ui text, keeping values as they appear in the machine readable format for ex.)
This gets back to a project I want to do, but haven't got around to doing. I was going to make a noob translation for the Configurator that would rename the options to more logical things. It would work like any other translation file, renaming the options and values to more user friendly names. Other things keep distracting me for the moment, though, so it won't appear for some time. Perhaps you want to do it?

For example, here's a quick translation I did for your original suggestion using the following lines in configurator.cdb:
CODE
GO_disable_remove_rad0 | can format | enabled
GO_disable_remove_rad1 | can't format | disabled
GO_disable_remove | Disable removal of games. | Game removal:
noobtranslation.png

I just realised that the tool tip text I used would be for formatting, not removal, but you get the idea
wink.gif

bert02

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuber said:
Is there any advantage over using 222 over 249 now?
they seem about on par now although 222/223/224 allows u to have 3 bases set where 249 only lets you have 1 unless im missing something else as i dont fully understand what 249 can do at this stage

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
bert02 said:
also is it me or does it seem strange the versions are eg. 54a 54b then when its all fixed goes to 54 shouldnt it go to 55? seems like its going backwards

a = alpha, b = beta, no letter = release
smile.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Dr. Clipper said:
The checkbox is actually needed. It is possible to use multiple config.txt files (one in the base directory, one in the apps). The base one can have one version of the option (e.g., disable_format = 1), but you can have two copies of Cfg in different apps directories and one of those might be your 'format version' which undoes the base config.txt by specifying (disable_format=0). Thus, you must be able to specify whether the disable_format option is present and also be able to specify its value if it is.

Ok then, but I see a lost simplicity there due to a weird usage which probably only needed by a handful of people.

QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
This gets back to a project I want to do, but haven't got around to doing. I was going to make a noob translation for the Configurator that would rename the options to more logical things. It would work like any other translation file, renaming the options and values to more user friendly names. Other things keep distracting me for the moment, though, so it won't appear for some time. Perhaps you want to do it?

Well I wish I had much more time to contribute to these projects. Unfortunately I don't have much time. To make it worse I hate gui programming. I see you put a lot of effort into this and you are doing very well, please don't take my words as harsh criticism.

QUOTEFor example, here's a quick translation I did for your original suggestion using the following lines in configurator.cdb:
CODE
GO_disable_remove_rad0 | can format | enabled
GO_disable_remove_rad1 | can't format | disabled
GO_disable_remove | Disable removal of games. | Game removal:
noobtranslation.png

I just realised that the tool tip text I used would be for formatting, not removal, but you get the idea
wink.gif

Yeah, that's one approach that could just fit there. Maybe you should tell oggzee to stop adding new configuration stuff so you can concentrate on making this tool much easy to use
smile.gif

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Before anyone asks (and yes, they will still ask), Cfg 55b appears to be working just fine with rev 19 of 249.

Except for in SNEEK
frown.gif

Hangs at the splash screen.

At least under rev 18 it would load game lists off of WBFS, FAT, NTFS, etc... It wouldn't lauch games of course, but...

deshwasi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Before anyone asks (and yes, they will still ask), Cfg 55b appears to be working just fine with rev 19 of 249.

thanks. you beat me to it by a few minutes. i was just going to say "WTF?"
smile.gif

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone got the ambient wii background music? I'm using the cIOS installer music currently but its getting a little old. I kind of want the sound like GX has.

bnm81002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
Depends on your purposes. But the default base is 57 so use that if you don't need anything specific to another IOS.

well I do have Guitar Hero, Rock Band games as well as SSBB, NSMBW, MPT and many other games, is there a list of what IOS is used for which games? so I can't just use the 222 v4 for all of my games like I am doing now for my Fat32 partition? I also have 249 rev17 installed as well, thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I eventually had to contact a domestic abuse advocate to help me get out of the apartment I was in a lease with her. And filed a restraining order on her cuz she kept harassing me after i left her.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt bring my Charger and nobody here has one compatible with my phone
    either you have usb C and no one else does, or everone else has usb c except you. haha
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, i don't have usb c
    That happened to me for like a year. lol. I was the only one of all my friends and family to still have an old phone.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, my phone is from around 2019
    Mine was from 2017. lolol. I just got this new one like 6 months ago. Not even new, second hand cheapo $40 phone. But it has usb c. lol
    I cant justify $1k+ on a nice ass phone. I can spend that on a 75" tv screen. Why a 6" screen device cost me the same? lol
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had a iPhone 5 for like 6 years, till last year, and had to get new phone, when phone companies stop using the cdna networks, which the iphone5 used.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A phone can do more than a TV
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    These smart TVs are getting close tho. Gonna be like "back to future" TVs before long.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah a phones going to always be more powerful than a TV if the TVs $2grand maybe but why when I can put a smaller device in my pocket that does basically everything a TV already does
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can justify a decent $800 smartphone that'll last 3 years when I could get a 65" TV for $400 and buy a decent micro computer for $100 more
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tbf there are decent $400 smartphones in today's market that make top end spec phones unjust it's just what you want
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Found a Charger that works with my phone
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Yeah Ken I have 3 Samsung Phones now and honestly all 3 feel about the same
    A35 a S23 FE S24 Ultra lol
    Camera is about the only thing that legit separates them, unless you play games on your phone....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I honestly just download movies on my phone put them on my card reader then on my tv so much better than wireless transfer bs
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Glad I bought a card reader type c and usb A makes life easy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
    i download movies on my PC that is connected to my living room tv.
    Monitors are too small for my bad eyesight so I use my main tv and wirelss keyboard and wireless trackball mouse.
    I tried wireless transfer on phone before and yes, it's garbage. lol. So sloooooooooowwwwww.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: I tried wireless transfer on phone before and yes, it's garbage. lol. So sloooooooooowwwwww.