Gaming Computer Won't Recognize Hard Drive

alejolink11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My brother gave me a Seagate Momentus 5400.2 80 GB hard drive. He used it for his hacked PS3.
I assume since I have a hacked Wii he used it for game storage and its in another format I.E. WBFS.

Well I want to use it for music storage.
Problem is whenever I plug it into my laptop with Windows 7 OR My old laptop with Windows XP neither even recognize the device being plugged in, much less give me an option to format it. I know it would usually ask since ever ytime I add games to my Wii's hard drive it asks to format it and I say no. However it fails to do this with the Momentus.

Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Has it been formatted to a filesystem that's usable with Windows or whatever OS.

That would be your problem if it isn't. Winb...I mean Windowz doesn't natively support WBFS.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What file system do back loaders on the PS3 use? They initially used NTFS I believe but I have no idea what file system they use now.

The OP said "i.e" as in he assumes it's in a different file system but he has no idea what. And even if it was in WBFS, you would get the icon in "Computer" and when you doble-clicked on it to browse, it would say that the file system is not recognized and needs to be formatted.

From the OP"s description, he's not getting the above message. Which means its the connection. Was this HDD always in this particular enclosure?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I can't remember what format internal drives in PS3 uses (some special Sony format) but drives connected by USB had to be in FAT32 or (more recently) NTFS (if you configured the settings properly in MultiMan). wii supports FAT32, NTFS and WBFS (there's actually little reason to use WBFS since FAT32 works so well now).

If the drive can't be recognised by Windows, there's usually one of 3 problems. Firstly, check that it's getting power. Make sure the cables are in properly and, when turned on, make sure that you can hear it spinning up and not making some weird clicking noise. Second, secondly, make sure the controller works (if you're using internal, that means swapping the SATA port. Of you're using an enclosure, that means swapping the USB ports). When plugged in, you should be able to see an entry in the device manager (even if it just says unknown USB/SATA device). Thirdly, make sure the drive itself isn't dead (this happens all too often with SeaGate drives, especially ones that have been used externally, especially the ones that have been used externally on game consoles). That means trying to plug it into every internal SATA port you have and any external enclosure you have on every computer you have. If nothing works, the drive is likely dead in which case you're SOL and have an ugly paper weight on your hands. I have several such SeaGate drives.

alejolink11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesnt have any external power outlets other than the USB. Hmm, now that you mention it the enclosure it;s in isnt seagate... its i Micro...its basically an internal in a case turned into external. I'm gonna assume it's dead.. because comparing it to the sound my Passport makes it's obvious.

Thanks guys.

alejolink11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait actually it has a converter on the part where the power and data cables go to make it USB compatible. The converter seems to be alittle damaged. That could be a problem right?

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
alejolink11 said:
Wait actually it has a converter on the part where the power and data cables go to make it USB compatible. The converter seems to be alittle damaged. That could be a problem right?
I'd go ahead and try it internally if you a slot open.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hakoda said:
alejolink11 said:
I'd go ahead and try it internally if you a slot open.

I'd say that's probably a reasonably good reason for it not to work. A broken connector/converter will obviously cause problems.

Try getting a new enclosure and see if it works with that. Just make sure you don't get one of those 'dock' styled ones where everything is exposed (Seriously, why do those sorts of enclosures even exist!?)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
They exist for people like me who needs a quick way to check if a drive is faulty or not. Just take the drive out of the enclosure, dock it, turn it on, and see what happens. Quicker than having to fish out an extra SATA data and power cable for use inside my computer, and useful for the large number of people who come to me because their external drive stopped working.

If you don't have a spare enclosure, the fastest way to check if it works is to plug it in internally into your computer.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You seem to have it narrowed to a faulty adapter but in the future remember "diskmgmt.msc" (can't remember offhand what the vista one is). It will list all the drives and their partitions (or at least say unknown). Far more useful than hoping straight up explorer will do something worthwhile.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Disk manager only works when Windows detects a data storage device. If there's a faulty USB/SATA controller, or if the PCB of the drive itself is fried, disk manager won't even register it. Fortunately disk manager will register a drive if it's spindle has broken or if it's just corrupted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction