Gaming Computer shuts down.

Zonix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My computer has recently started to shutting down when I play games, it just comes at random. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to prevent it?

The games that this has happend in is Battle for Middle-Earth II and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Do you get BSOD or does it just pop off?

If it just pops off could be overheating, you tried opening up the case and cleaning the board and CPU with compressed air?

Tempt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Had the same problem.
And yes like p1ingpong says, its overheating when your playing.
You should look aqt your Temparture with Everest.
If its over 55-60 C (I dont know how you guys do it)
Then you'l need to open your pc to clean the fan or something (I had to clean my Fan and just a little dusting everywhere + The Core (Only if you can see a fan in the inside)

Zonix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It just "pops off". I don't have the case on the computer at all, because well so it gets more air and I've cleaned out the fan once, but I used the things that you use to clean out your ears(clean ones), and a vacuum to suck up the dust that fallsdown.

I have 3 fans in my computer, 1 for the graphics card, 1 motherboard fan and 1 in the back.

A picture of the temperatures, I used SpeedFan to get those numbers. I just have it as a temperature shower. I have never overclocked my computer(if that helps)
87852815on3.png

Is there a good way to clean out the computer without compressed air?

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Dont put the vacuum cleaner near you PC, one static shock could fry it!

If youve taken the case off put it back on after youve cleaned it, the cases are designed with airflow in mind for cooling, taking the case off for it to get more air causes more overheating!

Look for a can of compressed air its cheap like $5 or so, its really the best thing to use.

Zonix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lee79 said:
GPU > Graphics Processing Unit or Graphics Card to most people.
Oh, ok. I have no clue how to see my graphics card temperature.

By the way I just cleaned it my fans, ram memories and the motherboard out with compressed air I used "teslanol dust off", it runs fine(which means that I did not fuck up
tongue.gif
). I also put the case back on.

Here is a new picture of the temperatures, used SpeedFan again, and remember I just turned the computer on.
32600353dc9.png

I try to play some games later, and I'll put an reply on how it goes.

EDIT: Stupid ImageShack, and I just remembered why I removed the case... The fan makes too much noise.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nathilius said:
Lee79 said:

By the way I just cleaned it my fans, ram memories and the motherboard out with compressed air I used "teslanol dust off", it runs fine(which means that I did not fuck up
tongue.gif

Here is a new picture of the temperatures, used SpeedFan again, and remember I just turned the computer on.
32600353dc9.png

EDIT: Stupid ImageShack, and I just remembered why I removed the case... The fan makes too much noise.
Those temperatures sure aren't good for your PC. My CPU is on ~50C all the time.

It probably shuts down because of overheating.

Maybe you should try cleaning your CPU and putting some new thermal paste on it. Really helps in cases like this.

Zonix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
raulpica said:
Nathilius said:
Lee79 said:

tongue.gif

32600353dc9.png

Those temperatures sure aren't good for your PC. My CPU is on ~50C all the time.

Maybe you should try cleaning your CPU and putting some new thermal paste on it. Really helps in cases like this.

Actually I made a huge mistake, sorry I must have misread or something. I mean the thing "lid" to the computer when I said case, and by cleaning out my cpu do you mean take it out and clean it that way and how do I remove the old thermal paste?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nathilius said:
raulpica said:
Nathilius said:
Lee79 said:

tongue.gif

32600353dc9.png

Actually I made a huge mistake, sorry I must have misread or something. I mean the thing "lid" to the computer when I said case, and by cleaning out my cpu do you mean take it out and clean it that way and how do I remove the old thermal paste?
Yeah, remove the CPU fan and the CPU from the socket and then clean the old thermal paste with something like ArctiClean or with denatured alcohol then put a generous layer of new thermal paste (a good one, like Arctic Silver).
Be wary that this could be a really dangerous operation, and be sure to discharge any static electricity in your body before doing anything. Also be sure when you put the CPU in again that all the CPU contacts are clean and there are no traces of watery substances. Also try to put the thermal paste exclusively on the CPU surface, even if it's non-electricity conductive.

Or you could just try with a new, more powerful fan
biggrin.gif

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Building your own fan duct can be an efficient no-cost solution for improving your PC's cooling. The image below shows a self made fan duct, built only from used packaging material (the clear plastic), and duct tape (now you know why it's called duct tape!).
Self made fan duct

fanduct.jpg

This simple and cheap construction helped lower case, CPU, and hard drive temperature by several degrees. This setup uses a CPU cooler which exhausts air from the CPU heatsink; the air duct leads the hot air to the ventilation hole in the case, so that CPU heat is directly removed from the case.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1) If you look at your pictures of your temps... notice the little flames? Those are BAD! TOO HOT!

2) PUT THE CASE/LID/WHATEVER BACK ON NOW!! The case is designed to facilitate air flow with the fans... also, if you've added any fans, make sure they are set properly... you don't want this :

57350682fi5.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS IS VERY VERY VERY VERY BAD!!!!!

make sure they are flowing WITH each other

Zonix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To correct all my faults, I mean't sidepanel, not lid/case. I have the sidepanel has the motherboard on the opposite side removed.

I have not added any fans, and to be honest I think the computer makes too much noise when the sidepanel is on and my computer is old, I think we got it in 2000. I just opened up the front plastic of the computer and there is no fan there. I know that I should buy a new computer, but I need to find a part-time job first.(I'm 16)

I can post a picture of how it looks like inside my computer soon. The picture is pretty big, so I just put the link there.

Unedited: http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/4739/dsc00772ne0.jpg
Edited: http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s271/Ul.../untitled-3.jpg

If you guys insist on me having my sidepanel one, is it okay if I lean it against the case, with an opening of ~2.5cm/1inch on the bottom?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ooowwww a new way for me to beat NFS 510 :D @SylverReZ
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Yeah, believe you can do PSP games as well. But a Pi5 is much powerful in comparison.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not sure about other models of Pi4 but the Pi 4 B with 8GBs OCed to 2Ghz handles PSP really great except like 1 game I found and it is playable it just looks bad lol Motor Storm Arctic something or other.
    Other games I can have turned up to like 2X and all kinds of enhancements, Motorstorm hmmm nope 1X and no enhancements lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Waiting for Anbernic's rg[whatever]SP price announcement, gimme.
    +1
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo