Computer occasionally freezing.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Westside, Apr 26, 2008.

Apr 26, 2008
  1. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    This happens very rarely, but it does. I have a quad core Intel Q6600 with 4 gigs of RAM (2.7 of which is recognized under XP), what happens is that once in a while, after leaving computer on for a long time, the computer freezes and I have to reboot. The redicolus thing is that this does not happen on my shitty Athlon 3000+ laptop... I don't overclock, and I have a huge CPU fan with low CPU temprature... What could be wrong...???

2. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    One of my laptops does that ... for no apparent reason, it just locks up ... and it's not like it gets a strenuous work-out ... and it's the newest one, too [​IMG]

3. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Try turning off the screen saver and/or the energy saving stuff (automatic monitor/hd/etc turn off)..

My old graphics card always crashed when the screen saver went on.. weird..

EDIT: Oh wait.. I think I got it wrong XP

4. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    The worst part is that occasionally Ctrl+alt+del doesn't work after a while...

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Powersaving would be one of my first thoughts as well (my old laptop used to bluescreen when the wireless card tried it) and it seems to rate almost as an afterthought for drivers (and your new (in the technological sense) hardware is more likely than most to suffer from it).

Grab a live disc of something (linux mint normally does for me http://linuxmint.com/ in these situations) and run that for a while (even better couple it with the memtest that a lot of distros come with these days and call it stability testing for your new machine).

6. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    There could be an issue with the ram/ram modules/motherboard.

Give your entire systems specs, detailed would be nice.