Computer hangs after login ?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Splych, Apr 3, 2011.

Apr 3, 2011

Computer hangs after login ? by Splych at 10:24 PM (586 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Splych
    OP

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    i am getting really annoyed by this . i have absolutely no idea why my computer has been hanging recently after login . i've installed all updates [minus SP1 + Genuine update] .

RAM: OCZ DDR2 2x2GB
    CPU: Phenom II x2 550BE
    Mobo: BioStar TA790GX 128M

i've downgraded my BIOS to an older date because in the newer one , it would measure the NB temperature wrong . this is a fresh installation of Windows 7 , so i hardly have any programs installed [other than Messenger , Malware Bytes, MS Security Essentials and CoD4] . i've run Memtest already , and there were no errors/problems found .

in addition to this , i get a constant I/O error on startup [will take note of error code after i restart later], and it takes a few restarts just so it would boot into Windows . are there any tests i can run to check if there are any problems on my HDD ? i am hoping it's not my HDD , but it's better to be safe then sorry by checking it .

2. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    I find Speedfan's SMART test is the most accurate, much more so than HDTune's. So you should run the SMART test in Speedfan, and/or the manufacturer's utility, like Seagate has SeaTools. But HDTune has nice error checking and benchmark functionality. Chkdsk /r does the same thing.

It doesn't sound like you can boot into Windows to run these, so get UBCD4Win http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm - Burn it, boot it, run Speedfan.

3. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    well if wasn't able to boot into Windows , i wouldn't be able to post these messages [​IMG]
    but anyway , back to the point , this is the error code i've been getting when restarting my computer a few times : 0xC00000e9 . however , my comp has stopped hanging .

And also , i can't seem to update Windows anymore after trying to start Windows Update through the control panel . This is what it says:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  5. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If explorer.exe is crashing the shell is messed up which is why you can't log in. A few questions:

Can you log into safe mode?
    Can you log into safe mode with command prompt?

You probably need to restore from a previous restore point if possible. Otherwise I would recommend like Rydian suggested to run checkdisk from safe mode or the command prompt safe mode. A repair from an install media might work too.

6. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    i ran a disk check overnight , though i never saw what it said if there was any good or bad .
    think i should restart that again . . .

it's not that i can't login , after i login my computer would hang for a good 5mins+ , then i could actually use it . i system restored to a point where i never installed a single update , and now i can't seem to update since it says that explorer.exe is crashing .

how to log into safemode / with cmd prompt on windows 7 ?

7. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    If you want to enter safe mode you should just have to press F8 for launch options before Windows actually starts booting up. Either that or you can force safe mode through msconfig.

8. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Or you can force the launch options (default will be Safe Mode) by resetting/shutting down the computer as soon as you see the Windows logo.