_Lusty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all!

First of all, I'm not sure if this the place to ask for this, so you guys can let me know please :)

Secondly, I've been wondering, with all the money I've saved up, I was thinking to upgrade my laptop to a full-blown desktop capable of running more resource-hungry games and emulators alongside it. However, I'm still questioning whether or not I should build my own PC from scratch or just buy a regular preset one from any store that sells them. I've heard that it is cheaper and more satisfying to do but there are lots of things to consider like the OS, the chassis, the CPU, RAM, etc. I'm aiming for price ranges to be inside my budget and all, additionally.

What can I do?

Cheers.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

_Lusty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can help you with what components to choose. I'd also suggest using https://pcpartpicker.com so we can share spec lists with ease.

To start, what's your budget?

Not much; I have around 800$ saved up for this occasion. I'd figure I wouldn't overdo it and made it moderately accessible. I did look into PC Part Picker but I'm also wondering what's the "hierarchy" of components and their effectiveness. What I mean by this is basically "is this Intel processor better than this AMD one?" and vice-versa

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newer AMD CPUs are better than Intel is most situations, unless you're specifically looking for Intel's advantage in single-core applications (you probably don't) or are a die-hard gamer that cares and perfect frames.

If you're on a budget, you can buy some parts from the used market and save yourself some cash. I recommend checking out https://reddit.com/r/hardwareswap . They tend to have some pretty good deals bouncing around.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Not much; I have around 800$ saved up for this occasion. I'd figure I wouldn't overdo it and made it moderately accessible. I did look into PC Part Picker but I'm also wondering what's the "hierarchy" of components and their effectiveness. What I mean by this is basically "is this Intel processor better than this AMD one?" and vice-versa
With a budget like that I would definitely recommend going with mainly used parts, apart from the drives and maybe the PSU. Especially when it comes to the GPU you get a lot more bang for your buck used.

Reactions: _Lusty

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hbMgwz
I've got you in there but just barely. Some changes to these prices will happen in a few of weeks. The AMD Ryzen 3300X will get cheaper, as the price of 3600s will drop, when Zen 3 CPUs will be available for purchase on Nov 5. Also, the AMD Radeon RX5600XT will also get cheaper when AMD announces and releases their RDNA2 GPUs.
So you have the choice to either get these parts as they get much cheaper new or used, or buy the new new generation products which could possibly get you the best bang for buck, but you will have to spend all of your money if you go with the latter option.

Last edited by raystriker,

_Lusty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newer AMD CPUs are better than Intel is most situations, unless you're specifically looking for Intel's advantage in single-core applications (you probably don't) or are a die-hard gamer that cares and perfect frames.

If you're on a budget, you can buy some parts from the used market and save yourself some cash. I recommend checking out https://reddit.com/r/hardwareswap . They tend to have some pretty good deals bouncing around.

With a budget like that I would definitely recommend going with mainly used parts, apart from the drives and maybe the PSU. Especially when it comes to the GPU you get a lot more bang for your buck used.

I'll definetely look into them. Reminds me a lot as if I was buying from Craigslist lol. Thanks for the heads up!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hbMgwz
I've got you in there but just barely. Some changes to these prices will happen in a few of weeks. The AMD Ryzen 3300X will get cheaper, as the price of 3600s will drop, when Zen 3 CPUs will be available for purchase on Nov 5. Also, the AMD Radeon RX5600XT will also get cheaper when AMD announces and releases their RDNA2 GPUs.
So you have the choice to either get these parts as they get much cheaper new or used, or buy the new new generation products which could possibly get you the best bang for buck, but you will have to spend all of your money if you go with the latter option.

This alternative still catches my eye though. Looks definetely great for me (and my wallet!). Also, just like you said, prices fluctuate depening on the seller and what new parts come out right?

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I'll definetely look into them. Reminds me a lot as if I was buying from Craigslist lol. Thanks for the heads up!

This alternative still catches my eye though. Looks definetely great for me (and my wallet!). Also, just like you said, prices fluctuate depening on the seller and what new parts come out right?
Yup. This is the perfect time to build a PC because people will be upgrading their cpus, gpus very soon. I'd even say that the "stars have aligned"; such an opportunity only comes once in a few years. Although I can't recommend used stuff this time around; especially GPUs. It's become too easy to OC them, and there's a higher chance of failure (not necessarily the silicon itself, but other components on the gpu). CPUs on the other hand usually survive a lot, lot longer, even with a decent OC.

_Lusty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup. This is the perfect time to build a PC because people will be upgrading their cpus, gpus very soon. I'd even say that the "stars have aligned"; such an opportunity only comes once in a few years. Although I can't recommend used stuff this time around; especially GPUs. It's become too easy to OC them, and there's a higher chance of failure (not necessarily the silicon itself, but other components on the gpu). CPUs on the other hand usually survive a lot, lot longer, even with a decent OC.

Yeah, I feared the same thing, especially with delicates components as those around.

What about the monitor and keyboard/mouse? Something standard but clean and efficient?

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Yeah, I feared the same thing, especially with delicates components as those around.
What about the monitor and keyboard/mouse? Something standard but clean and efficient?
The specs of the build in its current state should be able to keep up with 1440p (on medium to high settings). Alternatively, you could go 1080p but get a much higher quality monitor and max every setting possible probably.
Regarding the keyboard+mouse combo, can't help you with that. I'm a very casual gamer who plays AAA games with a controller so...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

GPUs don't let you overclock them far enough to do damage, there are built in limits so you can't exceed what the chip/cooler is capable of, it will always stay below the temperature and power limit, which limits how far you can go with OC as it will throttle under load, and even if you turn the clock sliders way up you'll just get a crash/BSOD, no harm done.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Physix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When looking to build a PC yourself, you should follow simple order:

- Look what kind of CPU you want, for example clock speed, cores/threads and other features
- Given you chose your CPU, you have to look for right socket to fire your CPU
- Choose your mainboard according to your socket and required slots (RAM/PCIe/USB/etc.)
- RAM is relatively easy as the generation (DDR3/DDR4) and clock speed need to match mainboards/CPU requirements
- Select your favourite manufactures dedicated GPU for your needs, they all use PCIe 32lanes nowadays.
- SSD for operating system and browser, HDD for large files/games, even though large SSDs are afordable these days
- Optional stuff like DVD/Blueyray burner, LEDs, etc
- Collect raw estimate power consumption from your components and choose power supply (most common one being ATX form factor)
- Find a PC case fitting all your components

I recommend you this website as you can search and filter for all hardware you need: https://geizhals.eu/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: hello