Component cables

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Bob Loblaw, Apr 29, 2008.

Apr 29, 2008

Component cables by Bob Loblaw at 5:45 PM (1,404 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Bob Loblaw
    OP

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    do component cables make a difference for the wii on a 1080p television? I mean it's still 480 except now it's progressive instead of interlaced. I can't imagine much of a difference. I was about to buy some from gamestop and the guy that worked there actually told me to save my money.

2. Lukeage

Member Lukeage GBAtemp Regular

Australia
  3. Bob Loblaw
    OP

United States
    Hmm...anyone with any firsthand experience?

4. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    I can tell you that 480p looks much better than 480i, you can actually read the text >_

5. Bob Loblaw
    OP

United States
    haha nice I'll keep my eye out for a deal on wii component cables I guess. I don't want to pay $35 for official ones but I don't want to spend $12 for non official ones that aren't any good.

6. ahtin

Member ahtin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hong Kong
    I have buy original, monster cable, 3rd party Wii component cable and my LCDTV is 46" FULLHD,

I am sure monster cable is the best of these 3 cables, I am trying to write a review on them, but everytime I turn on the wii, my fresinds is playing Mario Kart online, I have to join them first....

if you dont mind of money, monster cable is the best for your FULL HD LCD, but of course if your TV is samller than 32", you can buy a original one, do not buy 3rd party cable if you are not sure they have a good quality.

7. Bob Loblaw
    OP

United States
    yeah like you said ahtin, I have a 1080p 37" so I see everything so I don't want to buy cheap generic cable if it's not good quality. the ones they had gamestop weren't even nickel plated. I don't think I will go for something as expensive as monster but somewhere in between.

8. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Yes, Component cables make a difference.

The official Nintendo cables are of great quality

9. squirt1000

Banned squirt1000 Would rather have a cup of Tea!

United Kingdom
    Ive tried the official Nintendo component cable and compared it to a cheaper branded Gameware cable and there is no noticable difference between the 2.

Also they look loads sharper on a HDTV than using the crap AV cable out of the box [​IMG]

10. avant1277

Member avant1277 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
  11. krazykirk

Member krazykirk GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Monster cables have been proven to be a rip off. Just get any old component cable and you'll be fine. There will be a increase in quality, as progressive scanning renders the images differently, giving you a much cleaner image.

12. Bob Loblaw
    OP

United States
    Yeah I play guitar and they (monster) make instrument cables and they sound no better than some cheaper cables. I think the quality of monster MAYBE comes into play when using a really long cable you will lose less quality through the line but I'm not sure about that.

I'm just giongn to buy whatever $15 will buy that is a decent component cable for the wii I think [​IMG]

13. shiftyraccoon

Newcomer shiftyraccoon Member

United Kingdom
    In MY opinion and after seeing it in aciotn on at least 3 HDTVS I can say that a component cable is a MUST HAVE!

I tired playing my wii through compos(h)ite cable and it looked awful, and then playing a GC game on it was disgusting and i couldn't even carry on - I invested in a component cable which fits my wii and xbox 360 and the picture is ALOT better!

Obviously not as nice as the xbox but the picture is sharper, colours are nicer, definition is better!
    Even if you don;t have a HDTV buy a component cable anyway, you'll never go back to playing it any other way

14. phyl0x

Newcomer phyl0x Advanced Member

United States
    Yes, they definitely make a difference

I bought the cheapest component cables on earth:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4256

I have compared them to official nintendo cables and i see no difference, although these cables do "feel" cheap, they look great.

Deal Extreme does sell slightly better built ones as well:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9493

Since deal extreme is in hong kong or something, shipping does take a little over a week. but its a wonderful online shop.

15. hendu

Newcomer hendu Member

United States
    I have the cheap dealextreme and my neighbor has the nintendo brand, we tested them on his 47ish inch lcd and could not tell a difference. Big diff between component and RCA though