Ikz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
dib said:
So just to clarify the significant points: any PSP can be modified to run the custom firmware that will unlock it for free use like running backups from memory instead of those stupid UMDs, loading our own content, homebrew+emulation, etc?

And which firmware is popular? I've heard of one so far by somebody called Dark Alex.

Also does this hinder the thing from playing actual games? I still want to get games for my PSP, I just won't tolerate having my devices locked down by the company where I can't get the full use out of them. Although wouldn't playing them off the memory stick reduce load times and the like?

You can still play actual games, and the PSP isn't exactly "locked down". The OFW firmware does what the PSP was meant to do. Play Music and movies from a memory stick, and play games from UMDs. That's the intended "full use".

Wasn't there a big thing about how memory stick movie files were capped to a lower res than the screen size for no reason other than Sony silently nudging savants to purchase UMD videos?

Did they ever repeal that "feature" from the firmware, or is dib kind of right?

HabaneroShawty

Trophies
XP
Country
My PSP doesn't really have CFWs or anything super special. Just popsloader for PS1 games and a GBA emulator just pasted in one of my PSP's directories. I run on 3.90 M33-3 and emulators and games run perfectly. No Pandora's Battery or anything.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HabaneroShawty said:
My PSP doesn't really have CFWs or anything super special. Just popsloader for PS1 games and a GBA emulator just pasted in one of my PSP's directories. I run on 3.90 M33-3 and emulators and games run perfectly. No Pandora's Battery or anything.

*facepalm*
You need Custom Firmware to run emulators and Popsloader...
rofl.gif

solange82200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HabaneroShawty said:

OH MY GOD, dude, 3.90 M33-3 IS custom firmware. Without custom firmware, you wouldn't be able to run emulators. Duh!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp