Hacking Coding Question

blackdog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, i'm not sure if this is in the right place, but i couldn't find a better 1. Does any1 know how or even if it's possible to constantly be running a small piece of code in the "background".
If not is there a way that I can get it to run while in the system menu?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
That is actually not true.

It may be difficult, because it requires your code to be part of IOS, you'd have to create a custom IOS that does exactly this, which isn't easy. Also, IOS has no access to video/audio output, but that may not be a problem. May I ask what your "little code" should do?

At one point, WiiConnect24 might be understood enough to allow homebrew using WC24 to execute small pieces of code. However, the WC24 method will not execute games while you are running games that don't do WC24 communication (many old games and third-party games don't). Using the IOS method, you could run code in the background, but not constantly, it would start over at each IOS reload. Furthermore, you'd have to modify every IOS used on your Wii if you want a constantly running background service.

Anyway, it's difficult to do, but not impossible. I'm confident that at least WC24 will be an option eventually.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
If you run all games off IOS249, and that was these new functions were added to it, you'd be completely covered.

And to be complete, you'd probably do it to the system menu IOS too.
Besides, IOS249 is already a custom IOS, no harm done by modifying it further
wink.gif

This could be an interesting pathway, but will we ever see fruit from it? Or perhaps we will see something equivalent implemented in MINI (Bootmii's IOS). That would be pretty cool, running a homebrew OS and homebrew wiiconnect24
happy.gif

blackdog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanx for the quick replies.
The little piece of code is just to have the dvd light fading in and out all the time.
I've only just started fidling with all this stuff in like the last 2 weeks and i thought this would be a good/chalenging project to learn with.
I like the cios idea. That way I could make program that would change my code in the cios. Then I could have options with how the light flashes/fades.
Is this right?
I think I'm getting ahead of myself a bit. lol
Off to do some more learning then.
Thanks again to all.

P.S Obviously you guys know alot more about this than i do. lol Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

blackdog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I think i have found what i need here,
But I could really use some help with this.
It's a little over my head at the moment.
Could some1 please explain to me how i would use this as i cant find much info on it.
Thank you.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I applaud attempts to learn things I sense this could be done 50 times more easily by going into electronics (the LED in the slot is rather nicely just two wires from what I recall).

You can probably score a pulse width modulation chip that will do the job for around a dollar (I would get an IC socket as well though) and then it is a case of soldering a couple of wires. Failing that you could do it with a 555 timer: http://www.doctronics.co.uk/555.htm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries