• Replies 140
  • Likes 2

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I love this part:

"Your Elite Status Reward will be distributed before the end of December, 2012". at least i know i might get my prize before xmas. =P

It's free stuff. Deal with it. They didn't have to award us with anything,

you can't be serious? you have to spend hundreds of dollars to qualify. its hardly free.

this is an established rewards system, it isn't like we are bitching because we found out yesterday that tomorrow we would get free stuff for all of our purchases during the past year. we knew it was coming, we saved - spent - and waited, and the choices presented to us are lackluster rehashes of old memories we would rather soon forget.

-another world

Then don't bother with it, simple as that. You spend hundreds of dollars a year on games for other consoles, and for you AW, you spend hundreds of dollars on retro stuff. You don't get anything for free, at least with this you do. You get the game no matter what, but you also get little freebies, something that pretty much every other developer doesn't do. This stuff is free, and if you say otherwise you're a fool. It might not be much to you, but for me, the posters I've gotten from CN and had them framed is totally worth it.

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted User

OP
I love this part:

"Your Elite Status Reward will be distributed before the end of December, 2012". at least i know i might get my prize before xmas. =P

It's free stuff. Deal with it. They didn't have to award us with anything,

you can't be serious? you have to spend hundreds of dollars to qualify. its hardly free.

this is an established rewards system, it isn't like we are bitching because we found out yesterday that tomorrow we would get free stuff for all of our purchases during the past year. we knew it was coming, we saved - spent - and waited, and the choices presented to us are lackluster rehashes of old memories we would rather soon forget.

-another world

Then don't bother with it, simple as that. You spend hundreds of dollars a year on games for other consoles, and for you AW, you spend hundreds of dollars on retro stuff. You don't get anything for free, at least with this you do. You get the game no matter what, but you also get little freebies, something that pretty much every other developer doesn't do. This stuff is free, and if you say otherwise you're a fool. It might not be much to you, but for me, the posters I've gotten from CN and had them framed is totally worth it.

Thank you for not wasting my time on that guy.

ichidansan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, my first time as any reward status. I have platinum. and i got a screen that gives me 2 choices. and it's some mario cards or a calendar. y no zelda posters?

ichidansan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, my first time as any reward status. I have platinum. and i got a screen that gives me 2 choices. and it's some mario cards or a calendar. y no zelda posters?

Erase your browsers cache.
Thanks! got the posters! been a poster year for me. first limited edition posters, then the normal zelda poster set, and now finally the platinum poster set! although pit and luigi are with it it's been a zelda filled year lol.

and do we get 2 rewards or something? club nintendo just asked me to redeem again.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
This stuff is free

so now the definition of free is that you must spend something to get something? if it was free they would offer something for nothing, that is not the case here.

what they offered are incentives to spend our money. remember, this program was pre-existing. it was established to perform the outcome it has just provided. everyone who bought something and who subsequently entered the code, attempted to achieve a status worthy of acquiring a "prize". these things are not "gifts" by any means.

stop trying to put a spin on it, face the facts, it is what it is and it can't be something it is not.

i patiently await your witty response.

-another world

Reactions: 4 people

XtremeCore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so now the definition of free is that you must spend something to get something? if it was free they would offer something for nothing, that is not the case here.

what they offered are incentives to spend our money.

stop trying to put a spin on it, face the facts, it is what it is and it can't be something it is not.
No one is asking you to pay for first party titles for Club Nintendo. That's pretty stupid. I don't pay 49 bucks for Skyward Sword just to get 50 + 10 points from Club Nintendo. I pay for it because I love Zelda (franchise loyalty I guess).

IMHO, I won't view Club Nintendo as an incentive for me to buy MORE first party titles. I view it as a bonus for buying first party titles. It's more like a way to make Nintendo fans feel exclusive. Besides no company is obliged to reward you for supporting them. If you're unhappy with the product, lodge a complain. If you're happy with it, good. They don't have to give you a title or a hundred dollars because of that.

That said, the rewards are technically free. You pay for the game. You don't pay for the rewards. Otherwise, I doubt the price would be 49 bucks.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, not really impressed. I wish I could get the poster set but I only got Gold status... the game that appeals to me is Majora's Mask but I already got that with coins...

What to do, what to do...?

Get the calendar. It's pretty good quality, judging by the previous years.
The calendar sucks. I got it one year and the tiny flaps that hold it up constantly collapse.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Your stupidity makes my head hurt :(

while your ridiculous stance is admirable it results in a similar set of issues. yet, i never called you names. its fine to be passionate about your opinions, however misguided they may be, but resorting to name calling is just fucking lame.

That said, the rewards are technically free. You pay for the game. You don't pay for the rewards. Otherwise, I doubt the price would be 49 bucks.

you pay for the games and by doing so you receive rewards. it is impossible to obtain the rewards without first paying for the game. thus there is no way to argue that they are "free". again, they are not giving something for nothing. call it an "incentive program" or a "bonus program" but stop trying to argue they are "free gifts".

an opinion about the program is your entitlement, but your opinion about the rewards being "gifts" is misguided. again, gifts would be free, we would not need to first pay to receive them.

-another world

XtremeCore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

you pay for the games and by doing so you receive rewards. it is impossible to obtain the rewards without first paying for the game. thus there is no way to argue that they are "free". again, they are not giving something for nothing. call it an "incentive program" or a "bonus program" but stop trying to argue they are "free gifts".

an opinion about the program is your entitlement, but your opinion about the rewards being "gifts" is misguided. again, gifts would be free, we would not need to first pay to receive them.

-another world

The way you put it seems to be that WE, consumers, are paying $49 for a first party title that comes compulsorily with Club Nintendo, which is wrong.

Without Club Nintendo, you're still paying $49 for a first party title.

It is true that it is impossible to obtain rewards without first paying for the game, but you're not obliged to obtain the rewards. Nintendo doesn't tell you that if you pay for their games, you WILL be getting the rewards. Rewards as always are just added bonus. It's not like if there's no Club Nintendo, first party titles would drop to $39.

Just picture this - a country which imports games from US doesn't get Club Nintendo, yet consumers from the country have to pay $49 if not more for the games. In US, even though we've Club Nintendo, we're still paying $49. Don't you think the rewards you're getting are actually free? It's not like you've collected 600 Club Nintendo coins and yet Nintendo demand you to fork out another $10 for let's say the Mario play cards.

Your logic is thus twisted, because firstly like I said, you're not paying for Club Nintendo's reward. You're paying for the games. Secondly, you're not obliged to get the rewards. Rewards are not part of your game purchases. Thirdly, if you're not happy with the rewards, and if you think that Club Nintendo's rewards are part of your game purchases, stop buying first party titles. Go for 3rd party titles then. Same price minus the reward program. I don't see how is that fair.

Reactions: 2 people

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
It is true that it is impossible to obtain rewards without first paying for the game

the point i have been repeatedly making. everything else about your reply is inconsequential to this discussion. i am by no means stating anything else besides the fact that you must first pay to receive the reward, which proves the rewards do not come for free.

it doesn't matter how the end-user decides to use their codes. it doesn't matter if they purchased the game with rewards in mind. it doesn't matter that the rewards system exists in one country or another.

the only point i am arguing is that you must make a purchase to receive the rewards. so how can the items be "free"?

if they were truly free then nintendo would offer them without any prior purchases, and this is not the case. you asked "Don't you think the rewards you're getting are actually free?", and so i need to ask, Don't you think the rewards you are getting are actually because you spent hundreds of dollars on software and hardware?

-another world

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you get a bunch of free stuff and free games, and you're not happy? What do you have to do to be a platinum or gold member anyway?
Buy like a thousand dollars worth of nintendo shit.
And somehow I feel as though my loyalty is worth more than an SNES game I already have and could pirate if I wanted it on wii.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
So you get a bunch of free stuff and free games, and you're not happy? What do you have to do to be a platinum or gold member anyway?
Buy like a thousand dollars worth of nintendo shit.
And somehow I feel as though my loyalty is worth more than an SNES game I already have and could pirate if I wanted it on wii.
But still, it's just a bonus. I have also spent a lot on Microsoft games and Sony games, but they don't offer me free games. Actually, Nintendo doesn't offer them either, because I live in Europe and they hate Europe :)

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
ShadowSoldier, on 07 July 2012 - 06:16 AM, said:

This stuff is free

what they offered are incentives to spend our money. remember, this program was pre-existing. it was established to perform the outcome it has just provided. everyone who bought something and who subsequently entered the code, attempted to achieve a status worthy of acquiring a "prize". these things are not "gifts" by any means.

Yuki Amano, on 07 July 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

i patiently await your witty response.

Totally agree with AW reward is reward, gift is gift. Those are not free by any means. Also, what a disapointment as rewards for "loyal customers" .. Come on, calendar, poster, archeo-gaming virtual console downloads.. Call me fanboy or whatever but see the permanent sales on PSN and the XBLA summer event to compare with greedy N handling of their "loyal customers" .. A miserable selection (while still overly priced) of "platinums" and now those poor rewards.. Ambassador thing for 3ds was a forced move by the whole community rightful yelling and IMHO the only real nice one was the Zelda four swords anniversary dl.. Does one move make it for countless missed.. ? I think not, while they still win the top spot in the industry, i almost put that jackie chan pic with the wtf look.. Just saying!

Also, Yuki Amano, i read you are 12 yo on your profile and this is the internet but please show some respect to the former staff, would not hurt..

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@[member='Another World']
@[member='XtremeCore']
@[member='ShadowSoldier']

You three are leaving the zone of rational thought and entering a philosophical argument that neither of you can win. Technically, all three of you are right, and I will tell you why from a practical standpoint.

Another World, technically you are obliged to purchase Nintendo goods to recieve these special items, making them not free, however! You have no obligation to collect them, making them an extra bonus that you are not paying for. What you are paying for are games in stores. The calendar by itself is free, unless you count "typing the codes in" as labour. Moreover, there are instances where people do not buy games and acquire the codes in a different fashion - from friends and family. They recieve the calendar without buying any games at all, further underlining that it's a separate entity. Not only that, from what I understand, you can also get points for completing surveys, so unless you count spending time in-front of a PC clicking buttons as "payment", they could also be absolutely free.

ShadowSoldier, XtremeCore. The prizes are not free, or at least aren't supposed to. You have to purchase Nintendo products or acquire codes in some fashion to receive them, they are not in circulation for all the customers but only the selected few who paid Nintendo a specific amount of money, or so the system is supposed to work. It's not a "gift" that you get for simply being a member, it's a "prize" for being a member and making purchases actively, and seeing that they can't make a Goomba follow you around to make sure you're not cheating, Codes have to suffice for checking whether or not you're really buying things. You're going to say "surveys" like I had and I'm going to say "time is precious".

As you can see, everything depends on the angle at which you look at this situation. You can just as well cut it out now because there is no middle-ground.

I think "Rewards" is a good name for the prizes, as they reward Brand Loyalty and participating in Club activities, like the surveys. A "Gift" is a good name because you recieve it beside the games you purchased and actually wanted as a little bonus, which is always nice. We cannot forget that this program is only supposed to make us spend more, like Another World said, but while we're at it, we may as well enjoy what it has to offer, right? ;)

After all, it's "free" in the sense that it doesn't require any extra spending after buying the sufficient amount of games, and I don't need to underline that buying games was the primary objective throughout the year, not getting a calendar. :P

Reactions: 3 people

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World, just for the record I agree with everything you've had to say about the program being an established system of incentives, and that the "prizes" (not gifts) are not "free." What I disagree with, however, is the idea that you have a right to expect something better than what Nintendo has offered here. Look back at the history of what has been given as Platinum rewards over the years and really, this year isn't what you could call better or worse. Last year it was a set a 'flair' pins. Then there was the Mario hat. And another year before that, a tiny injection-molded plastic multi-character figurine. None of the items offered as Platinum rewards could be argued to have even more than about a $6.99 cash value, so why would you expect this year to be any better than ever before? In fact, just for offering the several different prizes and also the game downloads as an alternative makes this probably the best year for variety of choice.

This was my second year getting Platinum. What I was offered (the cards, or the posters) is no better or worse than I expected. This is the level of 'appreciation', if you want to call it that, that NoA has established over the years. I knew this going in. And, I don't really have a problem with it. I don't buy Nintendo's systems and games to get the cheap schwag. Nintendo gives me the cheap schwag because I bought their stuff. "Free" it is not, but there is a distinction there.

sonicsmash2

Trophies
XP
Country
Well this is better stuff than anything we get in Australia, Best item I got over there was a Mario towel.....Im not even joking here, Australia's Item selection is horrible!

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't buy Nintendo's systems and games to get the cheap schwag. Nintendo gives me the cheap schwag because I bought their stuff. "Free" it is not, but there is a distinction there.
its not swag though since not everybody can get it

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your stupidity makes my head hurt :(

while your ridiculous stance is admirable it results in a similar set of issues. yet, i never called you names. its fine to be passionate about your opinions, however misguided they may be, but resorting to name calling is just fucking lame.

Well you know, your being kind of pushy with your opinions and everything, so why not? None of us are taking you to heart so you shouldn't take what we say to heart either

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy