Hardware Circle Pad Pro simple and effective fix

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not quite understanding you, if you're saying the buttons should be where the thumbpad is and the thumbpad where the buttons are, then you're not getting the point of the SE model. Its meant to be in the same layout and design as the gamecube controller. Hence why its a Special Edition controller, it would probably serve best use for the Super Smash game that is to come.
i get that but i like the buttons on the bottem

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
People tend to forget that it's not a simple matter of adding extra buttons to the CPP and all the problems will resolve themselves. Games have to be coded to work with input from the IR port, if you want to use alternative face buttons in the CPP, games have to be coded to do so. It's the same reason why old DS games can't be played in WPA wi-fi when using a DSi or a 3DS. So, all games compatible with the CPP would be incompatible with this new "CPP revision"

And the CPP was kind of intended for games that you use both circle pads the entire time, so there's no need to use face buttons in a game that require the CPP in the first place. That's why, they just prefered adding ZL and ZR buttons instead.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People tend to forget that it's not a simple matter of adding extra buttons to the CPP and all the problems will resolve themselves. Games have to be coded to work with input from the IR port, if you want to use alternative face buttons in the CPP, games have to be coded to do so. It's the same reason why old DS games can't be played in WPA wi-fi when using a DSi or a 3DS. So, all games compatible with the CPP would be incompatible with this new "CPP revision"

And the CPP was kind of intended for games that you use both circle pads the entire time, so there's no need to use face buttons in a game that require the CPP in the first place. That's why, they just prefered adding ZL and ZR buttons instead.

I've played plenty of games that use the second analog stick and the 4 facebuttons on the 3DS. If you wanted to get the most out of a title, such a device would be perfect, as anything that could be done on a console with two analog sticks, 4 triggers, and 4 facebuttons could then be done on the 3DS. I do not see ZL and ZR as solutions to the 4 facebuttons being out of the way with the CPP.

As for your other point. I see no reason why a downloadable update couldn't be released on the eShop for games that are compatible with the traditional CPP that would then allow functionality for the new revised version. I think this point that you're trying to make here, could easily be resolved or worked around.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've played plenty of games that use the second analog stick and the 4 facebuttons on the 3DS. If you wanted to get the most out of a title, such a device would be perfect, as anything that could be done on a console with two analog sticks, 4 triggers, and 4 facebuttons could then be done on the 3DS. I do not see ZL and ZR as solutions to the 4 facebuttons being out of the way with the CPP.

As for your other point. I see no reason why a downloadable update couldn't be released on the eShop for games that are compatible with the traditional CPP that would then allow functionality for the new revised version. I think this point that you're trying to make here, could easily be resolved or worked around.

I guess you have a point with the face buttons. My bad for not thinking about it, since my experience with dual analog games come from 360 FPS games where you only have to use two analog and the trigger buttons most of the time.

But, still, isn't the 3DS d-pad used to replace or replicate the face buttons functionality with the CPP? I can only think it would be the most logical thing to do.

Of course, they can patch each individual CPP game to support an upgraded revision, but it would bring a lot of problems like the willingness of companies to do so, the requirement to have a wi-fi connection, your 3ds in latest firmware and to manuallly find and download the patch at the eshop which is not that user-friendly experience we all would wish for. The CPP hasn't been exactly a success and I don't think a new revision is likely. But to be fair, the desing presented in the OP is much better than the desing we have now it's a shame they didn't bother to do it like this since the beginning.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess you have a point with the face buttons. My bad for not thinking about it, since my experience with dual analog games come from 360 FPS games where you only have to use two analog and the trigger buttons most of the time.

But, still, isn't the 3DS d-pad used to replace or replicate the face buttons functionality with the CPP? I can only think it would be the most logical thing to do.

Of course, they can patch each individual CPP game to support an upgraded revision, but it would bring a lot of problems like the willingness of companies to do so, the requirement to have a wi-fi connection, your 3ds in latest firmware and to manuallly find and download the patch at the eshop which is not that user-friendly experience we all would wish for. The CPP hasn't been exactly a success and I don't think a new revision is likely. But to be fair, the desing presented in the OP is much better than the desing we have now it's a shame they didn't bother to do it like this since the beginning.

I considered these points, but I think if this were a product that Nintendo (or whoever were to make the product) proved to be a more profitable system, they could present it to older CPP games that Devs created and say, if you were to add this functionality (and here's the code you would have to add) you could see a rise in sales. I say this as I imagine some CPP-centric games could sell more units if the customer thought the CPP was an acceptable enough solution. Sure some do as is, but what I'm asserting with my designs is that between the 2 versions (regardless of rumble) I believe more people would prefer the revision.

As for the d-pad working as ABXY, that could in theory work, but this feels very unnatural beyond the fact that it isn't 4 separate buttons, but one large one, but also because its on the left side. Now for lefties, this might actually be preffered, I don't know. But the majority of people and gamers are right handed, so using the d-pad as face buttons aren't going to find it comfortable.

FireSeel

Trophies
XP
Country
Why didn't they use something like this? (Sorry for bad quality, it was made in paint.net, and the extra circle pad id part of the circle pad pro).
CHIAjft.jpg

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to go ahead and say that none of these solutions are simple, but possibly effective...

Well simple in the sense that they'd be easier to produce than a new 3DS with the right thumbpad built in and to expect all current adapters to consider adapting said new model

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Question... The cartridge slot is the only place for this things to connect things, so does this connect with the 3DS through there, or wirelessly somehow? I don't understand how this thing connects without a data port of some kind.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.