Gaming Chrono Trigger remake for the Switch (a dream so far...)

Chrono Trigger remake for the Switch...

• Yes, of course! That would be a dream coming true!

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • Not really... It won't work. Leave it alone!

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Mixed feelings: it would be great but the original was so good that a remake could ruin the game.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I don't care. I didn't even play the original version for SNES.

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
OP
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
If Square Enix together with Nintendo decided to release a remake of Chrono Trigger for the Nintendo Switch, would you enjoy it?

I think it would be amazing having a remake, like it was done with Link's Awakening back in 2019, but with original art by Toriyama-sensei and proper graphics like Dragon Quest VIII, X and XI, keeping the storyline and characters from the original game (released for SNES in 1995) and updating the O.S.T. with this orchestral arrangement performed by Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra.

Please share your thoughts about this in the comments below.

chrono2.jpg
DuUjZoCW4AE0Ohk.jpg

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
OP
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
that's an intriguing idea. I'd definitely buy it.

I know, right? I love the original game, don't get me wrong, but being one of my favourite RPGs of all time, I would like to play it with all the elements that make a great game nowadays (i.e. great story and gameplay, amazing graphics and the perfect O.S.T. with real instruments). :D

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, right? I love the original game, don't get me wrong, but being one of my favourite RPGs of all time, I would like to play it with all the elements that make a great game nowadays (i.e. great story and gameplay, amazing graphics and the perfect O.S.T. with real instruments). :D

ever play chrono cross? it's pretty good, but quite different. it seems like it was originally a different game, then they decided to put in some chrono trigger characters and locales. I remember this song very well. it's the overworld theme from back in time iirc:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also, I am setsuna is supposed to be chrono trigger's spiritual successor. that's what my friend atreyu, a mod on psx place, told me. I bought it for the switch, but I haven't played it yet. it's on a lot of systems, but some require translation files if you can't read Japanese. the one on switch is in English.

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
The only thing SE should bring over asap is the dang KH StorySofar.

As for CT:
Sure, why not.
Easy cash.
At least they can't spout 'technically difficult' nonsense here.

Then again, SE being SE:
Sensible choices were never their strong suit.
They should take some pages from Capcoms book:
Multiplatform collection.

Megaman Zero/ZX (also MM, X):
Thats, how you create a collection

Reactions: tfocosta

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It would be cool. But i also have the fear they would botch it. Although in my opinion they did the FF7 remake pretty well. Speaking of that it would have to be either a Remaster which is not really doable, a lets say halve remake where the game is completely the same but the graphics are made anew, or a full Remake ala FF7 Remake. The last one would have to be overhauled similar to FF7 Remake because if not the game would feel empty. But in my Opinion, i would really like to see the second idea. The same game but with all new graphics. I would say something in the range of the Trails in the Sky series for PS Vita would be nice Graphics wise. Of course in the known Chrono Trigger style all in all.

D

Deleted User

They seem to care very little about the series.

Square Enix logic: New Chrono won't make us any munnies
But we have no problem losing buckets of money on shit like Left Alive

They were making Chrono Break but cancelled it and we haven't heard a peep about the series since to my knowledge.

Last edited by ,

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
OP
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
ever play chrono cross? it's pretty good, but quite different. it seems like it was originally a different game, then they decided to put in some chrono trigger characters and locales. I remember this song very well. it's the overworld theme from back in time iirc:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also, I am setsuna is supposed to be chrono trigger's spiritual successor. that's what my friend atreyu, a mod on psx place, told me. I bought it for the switch, but I haven't played it yet. it's on a lot of systems, but some require translation files if you can't read Japanese. the one on switch is in English.

I did, back in the day! It isn't as good as Chrono Trigger imo, but it was nice to have something new from the Chrono series at the time. :)

Haven't tried I am Setsuna for Vita yet. It's been on my waiting list for a while, thanks for the reminder! :D

The only thing SE should bring over asap is the dang KH StorySofar.

As for CT:
Sure, why not.
Easy cash.
At least they can't spout 'technically difficult' nonsense here.

Then again, SE being SE:
Sensible choices were never their strong suit.
They should take some pages from Capcoms book:
Multiplatform collection.

Megaman Zero/ZX (also MM, X):
Thats, how you create a collection

It would be easy cash for SE and Nintendo for sure, but it would be even better for all the fans awaiting for a "freshly updated" version of one of their favourite RPGs. I would definitely pay for it. :D

It would be cool. But i also have the fear they would botch it. Although in my opinion they did the FF7 remake pretty well. Speaking of that it would have to be either a Remaster which is not really doable, a lets say halve remake where the game is completely the same but the graphics are made anew, or a full Remake ala FF7 Remake. The last one would have to be overhauled similar to FF7 Remake because if not the game would feel empty. But in my Opinion, i would really like to see the second idea. The same game but with all new graphics. I would say something in the range of the Trails in the Sky series for PS Vita would be nice Graphics wise. Of course in the known Chrono Trigger style all in all.

If they end up doing the remake based on Dragon Quest XI-S, I'm sure they will succeed. But they had to take the task seriously and work on it properly, not just a "whatever we do, it's gonna sell" weak version of the game. Otherwise fans would be disappointed. :)

They were making Chrono Break but cancelled it and we haven't heard a peep about the series since to my knowledge.

They are wrong. They just needed to do a bit of market research and they would change their minds! :teach:

Yeah, I've read about Chrono Break. And that's a shame. It would have been interesting having a new game too. But I would be grateful for a remake of the first game. :)

Last edited by tfocosta,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am setsuna is also on the switch, so if you have a hacked system, you might try it there. it's probably superior to the vita version.

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
OP
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
I am setsuna is also on the switch, so if you have a hacked system, you might try it there. it's probably superior to the vita version.

I don't, mine is still not hacked. However, my PS Vita has CFW, so I will probably start there and if I enjoy the game I may get it for the Switch. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

Reactions: godreborn

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany

Well...
The Rox- Square Enix [we] knew is long gone...

They are -at best- a shell of their former self.
Sadly mindless consumer nowadays buy things with a /name/ attached to it...

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
same here, but I bought it for the switch anyway after finding out it was a spiritual successor to chrono trigger. I looked on my pc, and the nsp is like 1.3GBs or so, so it's small even on the switch.

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
OP
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well...

That's a fact I can't deny! But let's wait and see what comes next. :ph34r:

same here, but I bought it for the switch anyway after finding out it was a spiritual successor to chrono trigger. I looked on my pc, and the nsp is like 1.3GBs or so, so it's small even on the switch.

I see... That sounds great! I'll try it at some point and will let you know my opinion. ^_^

Reactions: godreborn

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagining Chrono Trigger without pixel art just doesn't sit right with me, and probably still won't after I see it
maxresdefault.jpg
But you never know. As long as they don't modify the gameplay and don't add anything tedious, Chrono Trigger is a hard one to mess up

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross remake I'd probably buy as soon as I know they didn't botch it. I remember the Android port of CT when it came out and I wasn't impressed.

D

Deleted User

Well...

Agreed at worse they would break even on a new Chrono IMO and if they put the effort into it they could make the series profitable I think, but they only care about big profits from established franchises because it's easier thus they're lazy.

The industry has been doing this for a long time now rarely do companies take risks they just go with what's already known and guaranteed to be profitable for the most part. It's become stale. Look what's already announced for next-gen big shock Final Fantasy 16. Not that I hate Final Fantasy or anything, but just proves my point.

Last edited by ,

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
OP
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
Imagining Chrono Trigger without pixel art just doesn't sit right with me, and probably still won't after I see it
maxresdefault.jpg
But you never know. As long as they don't modify the gameplay and don't add anything tedious, Chrono Trigger is a hard one to mess up

I agree with you. If they do graphics, it needs to be better than the ones from the Mana remakes. I've played the remakes just because I like the original Mana games, but that's not what I'm looking for here. As I said, I hope they take it to a higher level and do something like DQXI graphic-wise. :D

Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross remake I'd probably buy as soon as I know they didn't botch it. I remember the Android port of CT when it came out and I wasn't impressed.

On the go, I'd rather play the DS port than the Android port. Or have it running on SNES emulator for Android or other portable console. I can't take it longer with those shaders they used in the Android port. And the worst is that there's no option to change them. :mellow:

Agreed at worse they would break even on a new Chrono IMO and if they put the effort into it they could make the series profitable I think, but they only care about big profits from established franchises because it's easier thus they're lazy.

The industry has been doing this for a long time now rarely do companies take risks they just go with what's already known and guaranteed to be profitable for the most part. It's become stale. Look what's already announced for next-gen big shock Final Fantasy 16. Not that I hate Final Fantasy or anything, but just proves my point.

Well, I've played most of the games from the FF family and I'm pleased with the majority of them. But I wish SE would reconsider investing in their other franchises like CT. :)

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
On the go, I'd rather play the DS port than the Android port. Or have it running on SNES emulator for Android or other portable console. I can't take it longer with those shaders they used in the Android port. And the worst is that there's no option to change them. :mellow:
Exactly my point, and didn't they also like, make the character sprites HD while keeping backgrounds pixelart? Or was that in Final Fantasy android ports?
Either way, the game just didn't look right.

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
OP
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
Exactly my point, and didn't they also like, make the character sprites HD while keeping backgrounds pixelart? Or was that in Final Fantasy android ports?
Either way, the game just didn't look right.

This is what they did:

Screenshot_20210211-123532.png

It's a screenshot taken on my phone (Android) from the last updated version of the game for Android. It looks awful and makes it hard to play. :wtf:

DannX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
I'd be nice to see a proper remake for Chrono Trigger and Cross, I loved them both back when I was a kid, I still do, Trigger is the game that got me into gaming and JRPGs in the first place.
For now we're getting a lot of SaGa and Mana remasters that, don't get me wrong, I like those too, but I'm not as inclined to play them as I would both Chronos.
If they going to update the graphics I hope they go for the DQXI look and feel, though it would likely be like the Mana remakes, those aren't bad, but they look weird to me at least.
I loved I Am Setsuna as well.

Last edited by DannX,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Crowbar?