Chrono Trigger Lands on Virtual Console Today

GolfDude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ready to switch up your routine - or even your century? With the arrival of the Super NES™ favorite CHRONO TRIGGER® on the Virtual Console™ service, Wii™ owners can liven up their living rooms with a classic time-twisting adventure. For the Nintendo DSiWare™ service, Big Bass Arcade invites players to cast away boredom by casting a line in search of mighty fish, while Word Searcher 3 offers fresh puzzle-solving challenges that can be enjoyed anywhere. Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove: Monster Mix for the WiiWare™ service sets monster-themed fun to an irresistible beat. Delightful deviation from the norm is just a download away.

Virtual Console

CHRONO TRIGGER
Original platform: Super NES
Publisher: Square Enix
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points™
Description: A young man is transported into the past, altering the course of history and the outcome of the future. He has to find his way home, but first he must travel to the outer edges of time to repair the world's chronology. On the way, he encounters strange friends and foes, uses incredible devices and vehicles, and penetrates and neutralizes the fortresses of the past, present and future. A paradox has been created. If he does not restore the order of time, nothing will ever be the same. He is the one who will become a hero. He is Crono.

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=29014

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could have been posted in the other CT thread, but eh.

800 points though? Thought they were going to charge more for this because of it being one of those "must have" titles.

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
I think this is great for Wii users who have never bought or lost the original SNES cart. But I own the Nintendo DS Version and the original SNES cart. So I'll probably pass this up.

OmegaVesko

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, Chrono Trigger? You mean the game I already beat with Snes9X GX?

It's great for people who don't have a hacked console, but this being GBATemp, I assume most of the people reading this do.
tongue.gif

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo sold their shares of Rare to Microsoft back in 2002 or so according to Wikipedia, after Rare had made a deal to hand over all of their shares of Rare to Microsoft. They developed one game for the DS, and a few games for the GBA, through Microsofts consent due to not being a member of the handheld market, but that was it.

Any hope of Virtual Console content regarding the Banjo-Kazooie series is naught but a pipe dream.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, Rare developed 2 titles for the DS - Diddy Kong Racing DS, and a previously Microsoft exclusive title, Viva Pinata. However, he is right - Banjo-Kazooie won't be appearing on a Nintendo console any time soon, unless Microsoft does some kind of deal with Nintendo. Banjo and Conker and those fellas are owned by Microsoft now, which is why they were removed from Diddy Kong Racing DS and replaced with Nintendo characters. But yeah - Microsoft doesn't have a handheld, so they don't see it as hurting their market at all, which makes sense.

Though, I wouldn't doubt more Rare development on the 3DS. Microsoft's worked with Nintendo before on the DS (through Rare and Ensemble Studios, which is defunct now I think) with both Age of Empires titles (the latter which was developed by Griptonite Games, which rocks.) I remember riding my school bus to school and hearing the kids go crazy when AoE:M launched. "OMG LOOK THIS SAYS MICROSOFT ON THE DS OMG MAYBE WE'LL SEE HALO DS VS SMASH BROS KART YES"

Ontopic, though, I've never actually played Chrono Trigger. I might try it out for the DS some time. Definitely cool that it's seeing a Wii VC release, though.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Chrono Trigger is worth a play through for sure. I beat the game normally the first time and got all of the best gear, then after that, you will be powerful enough to beat the game whenever you want to try for different endings. The DS version keeps a very accurate account on endings obtained and such.

I only got the main ending, then the "best" ending personally. Then I got bored of playing through the same events over and over again.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After you beat the game, do you retain your stats and start from the beginning? Or do you just keep your equipment and restart? I just hate getting bad endings and then having to start the game all over from level 1 to get a good one.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Windaga said:
After you beat the game, do you retain your stats and start from the beginning? Or do you just keep your equipment and restart? I just hate getting bad endings and then having to start the game all over from level 1 to get a good one.

You have your stats, levels, and equipment. So, say an item buffed Chrono is the head of your party with the best gear possible at end game. He will start buffed out at the same level, but you will have to reequip all of the good stuff. It will still be in your inventory though. Makes it worth the side questing.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You keep everything (except items part of the story that you need to unlock).
The difference with NewGame+ between Snes and DS is that on DS the game is saving after you beat the last boss, so all your items you used are lost on the new game.
On Snes, you select one of the Save slot you want to "use" as base to generate a NewGame+, taking the one you used to beat the last boss still contain all the items (like megalixir) as it doesn't overwrite the save at the end.

New game+ allows you to go to the last boss and beat the game anytime, and according to your current involvement in the time-line, you have a different ending.
You can get 15 different endings, 5 in normal mode, +10 possible in NewGame+ only (+ 4 slightly changes in the normal modes).
Loosing against the last boss is considered as an ending.

Once in new game +, don't forget to equip your characters, and go to the right tele-pod to meet the last boss.

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
Sadly Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie will never be on the Virtual Console. Microsoft owns the Rare and all or Rare's Trademarks, but even if there was a small chance, it was crushed when Microsoft put them on Xbox Live, so it will never happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL