• Start date
  • Views 3,689
  • Replies 42
D

Deleted User

OP
From IGN,
QUOTE said:
Back in March, we wrote about the news that Chrono Trigger was coming to the Wii's Virtual Console in Japan. Today, we got confirmation straight from Square-Enix that Chrono Trigger is indeed coming to the Virtual Console in North America. And better yet, we now have a release date and price.

Chrono Trigger, the classic SNES-era Square RPG, will find its way onto the Virtual Console this coming Monday, May 16th. Downloading Chrono Trigger will cost you $8.

Source, http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1167812p1.html

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
According to the official release list (Here for the Dutch version) it will come to PAL Wiis as well sometime soon, but there's no set date yet.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Okay, we had Chrono Trigger for the SNES, for the DS, why do we need it on the Wii? How many times will we have to re-purchase this game? Aren't there any more interesting titles you can port to VC? Seriously?

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's the original SNES copy that's hard to find (or more accurately, overpriced when you do find one). Sad, since the Japanese SFC carts are dirt cheap.

@Foxi4: Well, it's Chrono Trigger or more Final Fantasy 1/2/4 ports. Pick your poison.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
Okay, we had Chrono Trigger for the SNES, for the DS, why do we need it on the Wii? How many times will we have to re-purchase this game? Aren't there any more interesting titles you can port to VC? Seriously?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHBBBB
BBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDD
D

No but I APPROVE if this. It'll make the SNES version's price drop hopefully making it easier to get the SNES version for me. :yaySNES: (THEY SHOULD MAKE THIS SMILEY)

When the DS version came out, the price dropped by almost a HALF. went from 60 to 30, and it shot back up after a while.

@ Fireemblemguy: GOD, you're right. WHY DO THEY NOT MAKE MORE FINAL FANTASY III ports? I LOVE 3 and the NES version retouched would be better than the DS version in my opinion...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Rydian said:
Foxi4 said:
Okay, we had Chrono Trigger for the SNES, for the DS, why do we need it on the Wii? How many times will we have to re-purchase this game? Aren't there any more interesting titles you can port to VC? Seriously?Not everybody has a DS.

How about a PSX then?

@Foxi4: Well, it's Chrono Trigger or more Final Fantasy 1/2/4 ports. Pick your poison.

At least Square re-made 3/4, which is always welcome instead of a lousy port. This? 0 effort. Nada. Nil. Zilch.

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I like it when older games that had saves show up on VC. Why? Because speed running when you can't backup save files sucks. (Kirby's Dream Land 3 would have been a nightmare otherwise!)

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nice to see this on VC. I love this game. It's actually my favorite game ever. Ironic considering I don't really care for turn-based RPGs.

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:

So I take it you also have a vendetta against Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros. 3, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Ocarina of time, and Super Mario 64?

All of those games were released across at least three platforms. Not to mention, Chrono Trigger is a fantastic game, so the more people who play it the better. It's not like anyone is forcing you to buy it if you've played it before.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Tonitonichopchop said:
Foxi4 said:

So I take it you also have a vendetta against Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros. 3, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Ocarina of time, and Super Mario 64?

All of those games were released across at least three platforms. Not to mention, Chrono Trigger is a fantastic game, so the more people who play it the better. It's not like anyone is forcing you to buy it if you've played it before.

Totally serious here. I played Ocarina of Time on the Wii for about 15 seconds to check if VC injecting works and removed it immediatelly. Other than that, I didn't play either of those games on a different console than their parent one.

Too many ports of one game can really mess up ones mood - there are so many good games out there that didn't get to see a re-release and they're tacking old hamburgers we were already served before.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tonitonichopchop said:
Foxi4 said:

I agree, Chrono Trigger is a great game and good does come out of rereleasing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I sort of lost interest in the Chrono Trigger franchise after they sent a cease and desist letter to Chrono Resurrection team and blew the project up. Shame, really. It looked like a really decent fan game.

I guess I'm bias since then.

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
Foxi4 said:

Totally serious here. I played Ocarina of Time on the Wii for about 15 seconds to check if VC injecting works and removed it immediatelly. Other than that, I didn't play either of those games on a different console than their parent one.

Too many ports of one game can really mess up ones mood - there are so many good games out there that didn't get to see a re-release and they're tacking old hamburgers we were already served before.

I find that Nintendo will usually release a game when they want a new crowd of gamers to experience it. Considering that fact the Super Nintendo version is nearly 20 if I'm remembering right and the ds version almost 3 years old now, I don't feel this game has had too much exposure and so a release now feels right. Just be happy it isn't like Cave Story which has been re-released 3 times in the last five years (Counting the 3DS version here).

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tonitonichopchop said:
Foxi4 said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
Foxi4 said:

I find that Nintendo will usually release a game when they want a new crowd of gamers to experience it. Considering that fact the Super Nintendo version is nearly 20 if I'm remembering right and the ds version almost 3 years old now, I don't feel this game has had too much exposure and so a release now feels right. Just be happy it isn't like Cave Story which has been re-released 3 times in the last five years (Counting the 3DS version here).
In fact, here's a quote from Chrono Trigger's composer:
"it's still a very deep, very high-quality game even when you play it today. I'm very interested in seeing what kids today think about it when they play it."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, thats why patches exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds games are best played on a DS emulation is fine but having actual hardware is better obviously
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or N3ds/2Ds
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, or most "gimmicky" consoles
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah the dual screen makes them better because that's how they were developed for
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Wii U is also great.
    For DS games.
    Also, 3DS games through NTR streaming on Wii U.
    It's very cool.
    Even playable.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can have main game on big screen and touch lay out on wiiu tablet I can see that
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I have a broken o3ds xl
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Phones worked great for DS emulation with DraStic and a controller that held your phone
    But sadly that's coming to an end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, atleast I think the latest version's apk is archived somewhere
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah it works great but it's the obvious Ds factor you loose from it it's not like playing atari games on atari because Nintendo actually use to give a reason to buy their hardware
    +1
    Honestly Ken I actually have the hardware and it's hacked and works fine, prefer my phone lol
    Microphone is more sensitive, DraStic has a high res mode, screen is way better just overall a better experience
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just like game consoles how they were intended to play if they have a unique enough reason to buy them anything else yeah just download emulation for it
    Oh and touch screen infinity better lol
    @Xdqwerty It's still on Play Store.
    for free
    Install before they remove it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see a DS emulator that allows casting top screen to TV then use bottom for the touch screen stuff
    +1
    I used a vertical touch 22" monitor for playing some 3DS games through Citra.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: I used a vertical touch 22" monitor for playing some 3DS games through Citra.