Chrono Trigger coming to Wii Virtual Console

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by brandonspikes, May 12, 2011.

1. brandonspikes
    OP

brandonspikes King Erazer

May 30, 2010
    United States
    New York
    From IGN,
    Source, http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1167812p1.html

2. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    I've heard Chrono Trigger DS is hard to find, so it's nice to have the option of the original on your Wii now.

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    According to the official release list (Here for the Dutch version) it will come to PAL Wiis as well sometime soon, but there's no set date yet.

4. Schlupi

Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

Aug 31, 2007
    United States
    Rozen Queen Co, Chicago Branch
    Cool! EARTHBOUND NOW PLOX

@ Rupeeclock: It's not hard to find, you can get it for 10 bucks on Ebay, or at Gamestop near my house it's like, 17.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Okay, we had Chrono Trigger for the SNES, for the DS, why do we need it on the Wii? How many times will we have to re-purchase this game? Aren't there any more interesting titles you can port to VC? Seriously?

6. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, it's the original SNES copy that's hard to find (or more accurately, overpriced when you do find one). Sad, since the Japanese SFC carts are dirt cheap.

@Foxi4: Well, it's Chrono Trigger or more Final Fantasy 1/2/4 ports. Pick your poison.

7. Schlupi

Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

Aug 31, 2007
    United States
    Rozen Queen Co, Chicago Branch

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHBBBB
    BBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDD
    D

No but I APPROVE if this. It'll make the SNES version's price drop hopefully making it easier to get the SNES version for me. :yaySNES: (THEY SHOULD MAKE THIS SMILEY)

When the DS version came out, the price dropped by almost a HALF. went from 60 to 30, and it shot back up after a while.

@ Fireemblemguy: GOD, you're right. WHY DO THEY NOT MAKE MORE FINAL FANTASY III ports? I LOVE 3 and the NES version retouched would be better than the DS version in my opinion...

8. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Not everybody has a DS.

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    At least Square re-made 3/4, which is always welcome instead of a lousy port. This? 0 effort. Nada. Nil. Zilch.

10. Sir VG

Sir VG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 26, 2004
    United States
    I like it when older games that had saves show up on VC. Why? Because speed running when you can't backup save files sucks. (Kirby's Dream Land 3 would have been a nightmare otherwise!)

11. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    it must be SE's idea cuz something like FF2 and FF3 also had many remakes/ports whatever u call them. I wonder if they can make a proper more graphical version of tha game and then it could be worth it

12. Fudge

Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

Banned
    Aug 26, 2009
    United States
    New York
    Nice to see this on VC. I love this game. It's actually my favorite game ever. Ironic considering I don't really care for turn-based RPGs.

13. Tonitonichopchop

Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 9, 2009
    United States
    So I take it you also have a vendetta against Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros. 3, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Ocarina of time, and Super Mario 64?

All of those games were released across at least three platforms. Not to mention, Chrono Trigger is a fantastic game, so the more people who play it the better. It's not like anyone is forcing you to buy it if you've played it before.

14. jerome27

jerome27 Banned

Banned
    Apr 10, 2011
    United States
    $8 for a SNES rom?

15. Nujui

Nujui I need something to do.

Aug 12, 2010
    United States
    Dreamland.
    It not really a rom, more of a better version of the game.

But 8 dollars seem far from the ds version, which is good my opinion.

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Totally serious here. I played Ocarina of Time on the Wii for about 15 seconds to check if VC injecting works and removed it immediatelly. Other than that, I didn't play either of those games on a different console than their parent one.

Too many ports of one game can really mess up ones mood - there are so many good games out there that didn't get to see a re-release and they're tacking old hamburgers we were already served before.

17. machomuu

machomuu Drops by occasionally

Sep 4, 2009
    United States
    The Courtroom
    I agree, Chrono Trigger is a great game and good does come out of rereleasing.

18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I sort of lost interest in the Chrono Trigger franchise after they sent a cease and desist letter to Chrono Resurrection team and blew the project up. Shame, really. It looked like a really decent fan game.

I guess I'm bias since then.

19. Tonitonichopchop

Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 9, 2009
    United States
    I find that Nintendo will usually release a game when they want a new crowd of gamers to experience it. Considering that fact the Super Nintendo version is nearly 20 if I'm remembering right and the ds version almost 3 years old now, I don't feel this game has had too much exposure and so a release now feels right. Just be happy it isn't like Cave Story which has been re-released 3 times in the last five years (Counting the 3DS version here).

20. machomuu

machomuu Drops by occasionally

Sep 4, 2009
    United States
    The Courtroom